Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Soffit board replacement

On 03/05/2018 18:19, Andy wrote:
On 03-May-18 1:16 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
After serious thinking Andy wrote :
No, not at the moment. The facias are ok - and all upvc. The soffit
boards are well underneath, and are not.

The usual soffit panels hook onto a ledge in the L shaped facia at one
side, then into a U shaped plastic channel fixed at the wall end. So
not normally any need for fixings apart from for the U along the wall.

I wouldn't really expect nails to work very well into asbestos - you
would need to drill a pilot hole through to the underlying wood.
Screws would be better and much more secure, but what ever you use
needs to be stainless or solid brass rather than brass plated.

I nailed my facias up, then screwed through gutter and fascia with 2"
solid brass screws.

I wasn't intending to nail the new boards to the asbestos just tack a
few stainless steel nails through into the wood to help the adhesive.
What I really wanted to know was whether something like 'no-nails' would
do the job.

If it is asbestos then do not puncture it with a nail.

--
Adam