Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Soffit board replacement

On 03/05/2018 11:34, Andy wrote:
On 03-May-18 10:24 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 03/05/18 10:12, Andy wrote:
The soffit boards on my house are looking a bit ropey and I want to do
something to smarten them up, so would be grateful for a bit of advice
about what I am thinking of doing.

The paint is peeling off them but I don't fancy repainting them because
they would need sanding down and I gather the old boards are made of
asbestos. Because of this I don't really want to disturb anything that's
there if I can help it, so I am thinking of fitting new upvc soffit
boards on top. The problem is how do I go about it, and that's where I'd
be interested to hear what you think here?

Upvc soffit boards are very light, particularly the hollow ones, so I
was thinking of just glueing them to the existing boards, with perhaps a
couple of nails here and there. Any views?

Did you mean to include fascias as well? It would look a bit odd to
have nice new siffits and tatty fascias.

No, not at the moment. The facias are ok - and all upvc. The soffit
boards are well underneath, and are not.

The mistake was painting them in the first place. Quite a few
houses near me have had their cement-based soffits (it isn't
the dangerous brown or blue asbestos) overclad with upvc
panelling. Not sure what sort of adhesive was used, but it can
be done.