Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The 14,500 people over 100 don't have asthma

On Thursday, 3 May 2018 22:05:20 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 2 May 2018 21:29:49 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Wednesday, 2 May 2018 14:07:53 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 02/05/2018 13:33, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 May 2018 12:18:02 UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:
On 02/05/2018 11:09, Andrew wrote:
On 02/05/18 09:28, Nightjar wrote:
Asthma is certainly something that I don't recall anybody I
knew as a child having, which I doubt would be the case
today.

At least 4 people in my class at primary school had it and 3-4
in my secondary school, as did I.

We didnt advertise the fact tho.

They tend to grow out of it. The point is, how many of the 14,500
centenarians had serious illnesses or accidents during their
lives before the nanny state NHS ?. These are the ones who
inherited a good set of genes and a fair dose of lady luck.

Isn't that the whole point?

Distorted stats yes.

They developed immunity as a result of exposure to stuff that
modern children aren't exposed to.

No they didn't or there's little proof. Few children had serious
illnesses or accidents from the mines in later life because they
died
early and few records were kept.

Irrelevant unless you are claiming those with asthma were more likely
die in a mine accident.

I'm claiming that those with asthma or any other such
problem might die long before they get to see a doctor
for asthma to be recorded especailly 50+ years ago.

Problem with that line is that I dont recall any kids
I knew dying at all, from anything, 50+ years ago.

Most could look back at the past to see what was killing
people, but asthma wasn't really recorded accuratly as
it wasn't really known about like it is today.

Sure, but I was saying that none I knew died,
not that it wasnt known what killed them.

So no useful data.

I only knew one who died personally when I was rather
older and it was known that she died of leukaemia.

I didnt even know any personally who had died in an accident.

which means it doesn't happen ?

Likewise serious illness as you are looking at the past history
of those that survived not those that died from other causes.

That is partly the problem isn't it.
How many of those that died at dunkirk might have
lived and had asthma, we'll never really know.

Asthma isnt something that shows up in those after that age.

http://asthmaandallergies.org/asthma...-onset-asthma/

Sure, but its much less common than asthma in children.

You said adults don't get asthma.

And before WW1, the percentage of the population dying in
the UK in wars in say the century before WW1 was much lower.

irrelivant to asthma.

Completely relevant to your line that we didnt
see asthma in them because they died in the war.

That's not what I said.
Now show the the stats of asthma amoung children from 1930-1950
then from 1980-2000

I'm saying thres no way of knowing whether an adult would
get asthma in later life if they died down the pits or at war.

Asthma isnt something you get in later life.

Yes it is.

How does adult onset asthma compare with childhood asthma?

Unlike children who often experience intermittent asthma symptoms in
response to allergy triggers or respiratory infections, adults with newly
diagnosed asthma generally have persistent symptoms. Daily medications may
be required to keep asthma under control.

Or are you realy saying you've only ever seen kids use those inhalers

Never seen an adult use one.

My flatmate had one, and I've seen lots of adults use them.

Here are 10 of the world's most famous asthmatics.

John F. Kennedy. ...
Ludwig Von Beethoven.
Charles Dickens. ...
David Beckham. ...
Teddy Roosevelt. ...
Billy Joel. ...
Diane Keaton. ...
Martin Scorsese.

So is it a good thing or a bad thing having kids/babies/teenagers/young
-adults/middle-aged/OAP/really crumpty old ****ers100+ breathing in
car fumes if as you say it might in the furter protect them from asthma
?

Yes, you do have a valid point that modern kids are exposed to quite
a bit of that sort of thing that the boomer kids weren't exposed to.

and jimmy saville

Thats a myth.

jimmy saville is not a myth.

There were in fact plenty of pedophiles
in the victorian era. Lots of incest too.

Yep nature is slow to change. But I don't think there were many cases of asthma because they didn't know about it and couldn't identify it.

But the boomer kids in london were exposed to a
lot more smog from coal used to heat houses too.

but was it called asthma, was it asthma ?

I wasnt saying anything about what it was called, just
pointing out that there was lots of pollution then.

Yes I know.

But that doesnt explain why we see a lot more kids with
asthma here than we used to with the boomer kids.

That could be down to city pollution

Unlikely when london particularly was much more polluted for
the boomer kids. Maybe that pollution didnt produce asthma tho.

It wasn't identified as asthma.

In the middle ages there were heart attacks and strokes and suddetn deaths which because they weren;t medically aware wouldnl.t have been labled as cardiac arrest most likely whoever was with them at the time coould be charged with witchcaft or it was the devils work. They didn't know about bacteria, viruses or germs so didn't record those deaths properly either.

They even believed that diseases were passed on by smells.

and chemicals

Unlikely that there were more chemicals then than we see now

I never said there were but they didn;t understand teh efect of murcury which is why some hat makers went mad, they couldn;t identify it as mercury poisoning at the time.

with so much more use of plastics and stuff like paint etc and
cleaning chemicals now. But again, maybe those weren't what
produced asthma in kids.

I don;t believe they were.
if a child works down the mines I doubt his medical records would record that he had asthma at the time even if he had it.
A 12 yo today if he had asthma it will be recorded and treated if noticed of course.

Obesity increases the chances of getting asthma,

None of the recent kids I know who had asthma were obese.

your sample size is to small that's the problem.

adults get longer to get to obesity than kids do,

But far fewer adults get asthma than with kids.

more adults die than children too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 May 2018 09:29:53 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 03/05/2018 12:08, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 May 2018 17:29:37 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/05/18 09:28, Nightjar wrote:
Asthma is certainly something that I don't recall anybody I knew as a
child having, which I doubt would be the case today.

At least 4 people in my class at primary school had it and 3-4 in my
secondary school, as did I.

We didnt advertise the fact tho.

I had a cousin with asthma but that was a rarity in the 1940s.

Think it might have depended on where you live. Pollution varied greatly
across the UK.

I grew up in London.

London might be one city but there are differnt places in London.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3236611.html

However, that is applying modern standards.

What's wrong with that ?
Maybe we should bring back smallpox if that can reduce the number of people suffering from pollution you know that would work.

According to this article,
today both NOx and particulates are at a quarter of the level they were
in the 1970s:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...lth-emergency/

I'd like to see the actual measurements.

Earlier decades would also have seen significant levels of sulphur
dioxide and soot in the air.

So now that is less of a problem (like the black death, scurvey, smnallpox, rickets, & TB children & adults are dying from other diseases which could also be prevented or reduced if we took approapiate action.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/05/18 09:28, Nightjar wrote:
Asthma is certainly something that I don't recall anybody I knew as a
child having, which I doubt would be the case today.

At least 4 people in my class at primary school had it and 3-4 in my
secondary school, as did I.

We didnt advertise the fact tho.

I had a cousin with asthma but that was a rarity in the 1940s.

Think it might have depended on where you live. Pollution varied greatly
across the UK.

I grew up in London.

London might be one city but there are differnt places in London.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3236611.html

However, that is applying modern standards.

What's wrong with that ?

It is not very relevant if you are talking about the situation in the
1940s or 1950s.

According to this article,
today both NOx and particulates are at a quarter of the level they were
in the 1970s:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...lth-emergency/

I'd like to see the actual measurements.

Suspended particulate matter (SPM) figures are available from the
download on this page:

https://ourworldindata.org/london-air-pollution

From that, London figures for SPM in micrograms per cubic metre a

2016 - 16
1980 - 82
1970 - 124
1960 - 167
1950 - 209
1940 - 368
1900 - 571

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
[...]

So there's no point in comparing results then.
I'm also betting more people died from whichcraft in the 1600s than have today in London.

According to this article,
today both NOx and particulates are at a quarter of the level they were
in the 1970s:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...lth-emergency/

I'd like to see the actual measurements.

Suspended particulate matter (SPM) figures are available from the
download on this page:

https://ourworldindata.org/london-air-pollution

In my college we have an air quality station for for mile end road,
but it was only installed about 10 years ago so I don't see how we can compare what mile end road was like in 1900.

Mile end road has been here since about 1120.

From that, London figures for SPM in micrograms per cubic metre a

2016 - 16
1980 - 82
1970 - 124
1960 - 167
1950 - 209
1940 - 368
1900 - 571

but not very informative are they and they don't show how they connect with life expectancy.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2018 13:19, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 4 May 2018 12:24:03 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

It is not very relevant if you are talking about the situation in the
1940s or 1950s.

So there's no point in comparing results then.

Minor variations across London today are trivial compared to the
differences between London today and the London of my childhood. Hence I
don't think it is unreasonable to consider London as a single entity.

I'm also betting more people died from whichcraft in the 1600s than have today in London.

Not according to the Bills of Mortality, which do not record any that I
can see, although 'teeth and worms' was a perennial.

From that, London figures for SPM in micrograms per cubic metre a

2016 - 16
1980 - 82
1970 - 124
1960 - 167
1950 - 209
1940 - 368
1900 - 571

but not very informative are they and they don't show how they connect with life expectancy.

For that, you would have to do your own research. It is getting too far
away from my original point, which was that I don't recall anybody I
knew as a child having asthma, despite much higher levels of pollution.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 May 2018 16:57:12 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 04/05/2018 13:19, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 4 May 2018 12:24:03 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

It is not very relevant if you are talking about the situation in the
1940s or 1950s.

So there's no point in comparing results then.

Minor variations across London today are trivial compared to the
differences between London today and the London of my childhood. Hence I
don't think it is unreasonable to consider London as a single entity.

I do and if yuo are in london there are places much more polutted than others.
When I'm out with a friend of mine he ends up coughing and spluttering if we are walking down a main road, so he takes the back streets.
I can all but taste the polution when walking near a busy main road.

I'm also betting more people died from whichcraft in the 1600s than have today in London.

Not according to the Bills of Mortality, which do not record any that I
can see, although 'teeth and worms' was a perennial.

Why would I believe Bills of Mortality ?

From that, London figures for SPM in micrograms per cubic metre a

2016 - 16
1980 - 82
1970 - 124
1960 - 167
1950 - 209
1940 - 368
1900 - 571

but not very informative are they and they don't show how they connect with life expectancy.

For that, you would have to do your own research. It is getting too far
away from my original point, which was that I don't recall anybody I
knew as a child having asthma,

That doesn't mean that no one did.
I don't rememebr any kid gettign cancer, I only knew of one girl that might have got pregnant while at school too.
I didnlt know of anyone that got sexualy abused at school either.
DJs were trusted , so were polititains and you were meant to gpot up to the police as they were trustworthy, every single one of them was like Dixon of dock green weren't they.
Hardly anyone was gay, if fact no one was gay when I was at school although we had a few suspicaions of some teachers.
Oh and don't forget God.

I doubt there were any black holes when you were at school.
Had man landed on the moon or were we still watching chariot racing. ;-)

The earlist records of Asthma was over 4000 years ago, sure I don't expect you to remmeber those people as they were in china.
Asthma is caused by organic material not coal dust or anything you might think will be seen as Asthma.

despite much higher levels of pollution.

pollution doesn't cause Asthma it just makes it worse becuase if you have polluted lungs of lead, astestos or anyhting else there more chance yuo'll get Asthma and it'll lucky efect yuo more due to reduced lung capacity due to pollution or just having one lung like a girl I knew once.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/18 16:57, Nightjar wrote:
For that, you would have to do your own research. It is getting too far
away from my original point, which was that I don't recall anybody I
knew as a child having asthma, despite much higher levels of pollution.

But you didn't have asthma did you?
I did, and can recall half a dozen. Surreptitiously reaching for
inhalers and being excused sports.

We were ashamed of it, and we hid it.

I got better in my teens - after my chain smoking dad died. it's only
returned in the last 15 years

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/18 17:15, whisky-dave wrote:
That doesn't mean that no one did. I don't rememebr any kid gettign
cancer, I only knew of one girl that might have got pregnant while at
school too.

In thoise days you din't get to see the goorows.

In my prep school we had

- one mongol.
- one girl on braces and crutches from polio.
- one set of twins who were removed after one of them opened the train
door while the other was leaning out of te window... They were at an
orphanage.

In my secondary school people were expelled for t5hings..we never really
found out what.

-
I didnlt know of anyone that got sexualy abused at school either.

It was all hushed up.

I damn near got sexually abused...as a 'pretty' boy.

DJs were trusted , so were polititains and you were meant to gpot up
to the police as they were trustworthy, every single one of them was
like Dixon of dock green weren't they.

No, they were not. My mother was extremely diubious about lett9ng me
camp fort te weekneds with the cub sciuts run by te vicar 'whoi wasn't
married'

Hardly anyone was gay, if fact no one was gay when I was at school
although we had a few suspicaions of some teachers. Oh and don't
forget God.

Dont be silly - loads of people were gay but since it was illegal they
didnt advertise the fact. I suspect one of my schoolfriends had been
abused by his elder brother and expected me to want to do the same. And
there was another guy I knew who was a Naval cadet and gay.

I doubt there were any black holes when you were at school. Had man
landed on the moon or were we still watching chariot racing.;-)

The earlist records of Asthma was over 4000 years ago, sure I don't
expect you to remmeber those people as they were in china. Asthma is
caused by organic material not coal dust or anything you might think
will be seen as Asthma.

Asthma is caused by many things and air polluution of any sort is a trigger.

Some food (cheese mostly) will set me off, also tree pollen, and moulds
and fungal spores.

despite much higher levels of pollution.

pollution doesn't cause Asthma it just makes it worse becuase if you
have polluted lungs of lead, astestos or anyhting else there more
chance yuo'll get Asthma and it'll lucky efect yuo more due to
reduced lung capacity due to pollution or just having one lung like a
girl I knew once.

You are completely wrong.

Asthma is an allergic response to anything - air pollution, chemicals
in cheese, seafoood, yeasts, mould spores, cat dander, housemite ****.

Poeple were dying of farmers lung years ago, or TB. They probably had
asthma. Farmers lung is a name given to a particular allergic response
to certain crop dusts - mainly moulds.

"Hypersensitivity pneumonitis

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis, formerly called extrinsic allergic
alveolitis, happens when your lungs develop an immune response
hypersensitivity - to something you breathe in which results in
inflammation of the lung tissue - pneumonitis."

Thse diseases are calssed as different from astham, because they dont
cause bronchospasm, but the subjective effects are broadly similar

all women"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The useful data is that none of them died in childhood, ****wit.

None of the rest of your even sillier **** worth bothering with, as usual.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2018 09:29, Nightjar wrote:
Earlier decades would also have seen significant levels of sulphur
dioxide and soot in the air.

We had much better and healthier roses in those days :-)

And a lot less moss when petrol was leaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In my secondary school people were expelled for t5hings..we never really
found out what.

When I was in the 3rd form in Grammar school in the 60's one of
the older boys had a photo of a naked lady with a beer bottle in a
strange place.

There was a big crowd of boys all desperate to see, and at that
moment the headmaster glided round the corner like a bat.

He wore a black cape too.

We never saw the boy with the photo again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 May 2018 17:15:44 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 4 May 2018 16:57:12 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

For that, you would have to do your own research. It is getting too far
away from my original point, which was that I don't recall anybody I
knew as a child having asthma,

That doesn't mean that no one did.
I don't rememebr any kid gettign cancer, I only knew of one girl that might have got pregnant while at school too.
I didnlt know of anyone that got sexualy abused at school either.
DJs were trusted , so were polititains and you were meant to gpot up to the police as they were trustworthy, every single one of them was like Dixon of dock green weren't they.
Hardly anyone was gay, if fact no one was gay when I was at school although we had a few suspicaions of some teachers.

IOW it all went on just as much but stayed mostly hidden. And you saw that through the eyes of a child.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote:
[...]

From that, London figures for SPM in micrograms per cubic metre a

2016 - 16
1980 - 82
1970 - 124
1960 - 167
1950 - 209
1940 - 368
1900 - 571

Very small particles are more dangerous. As from diesel engines.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/2018 08:20, harry wrote:
On Friday, 4 May 2018 12:24:03 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

From that, London figures for SPM in micrograms per cubic metre a

2016 - 16
1980 - 82
1970 - 124
1960 - 167
1950 - 209
1940 - 368
1900 - 571

Very small particles are more dangerous. As from diesel engines.

85% of PM2.5 particles generated by road traffic are from non-exhaust
sources; predominantly tyre wear, road wear and the raising of dust from
the road surface. Those come from all vehicles, whatever their motive
power. The earlier figures will include very significant levels of soot
particles from coal burning as well.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2018 17:15, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 4 May 2018 16:57:12 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 04/05/2018 13:19, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 4 May 2018 12:24:03 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

It is not very relevant if you are talking about the situation in the
1940s or 1950s.

So there's no point in comparing results then.

Minor variations across London today are trivial compared to the
differences between London today and the London of my childhood. Hence I
don't think it is unreasonable to consider London as a single entity.

I do and if yuo are in london there are places much more polutted than others.
When I'm out with a friend of mine he ends up coughing and spluttering if we are walking down a main road, so he takes the back streets.
I can all but taste the polution when walking near a busy main road.

When I were a lad, it would be very strange if you couldn't smell and
taste the traffic, even off the main roads. Some days in winter, you
could even see the pollution in the air.

I'm also betting more people died from whichcraft in the 1600s than have today in London.

Not according to the Bills of Mortality, which do not record any that I
can see, although 'teeth and worms' was a perennial.

Why would I believe Bills of Mortality ?

Why not? They were the official records of the causes of death in the
17th and 18th centuries.

From that, London figures for SPM in micrograms per cubic metre a

2016 - 16
1980 - 82
1970 - 124
1960 - 167
1950 - 209
1940 - 368
1900 - 571

but not very informative are they and they don't show how they connect with life expectancy.

For that, you would have to do your own research. It is getting too far
away from my original point, which was that I don't recall anybody I
knew as a child having asthma,

That doesn't mean that no one did.

I didn't say it did. I said that I doubted that would be the case today.

I don't rememebr any kid gettign cancer,

I had a cousin who died of it. My father's best friend had chronic TB,
which is almost certainly where I was exposed to it as a very young child.

I only knew of one girl that might have got pregnant while at school too.

The girl next door had a child at 15, which was major scandal at the time.

I didnlt know of anyone that got sexualy abused at school either.

The headmaster of my infants school left suddenly in my second year
there. I later associated that to his having been in the habit of
punishing the girls for very minor transgressions by smacking them on
their bare bottoms. We were also taught never to talk to strangers and
never, under any circumstances, to get into a car with anybody, whether
we knew them or not. We might not have known why at the time, but it was
obviously something of major concern to our parents.

DJs were trusted...

I'm not sure many people could even name a DJ before the 1960s.

Hardly anyone was gay, if fact no one was gay when I was at school although we had a few suspicaions of some teachers.

Two of my classmates were, which is one reason I doubt TNP's claims that
asthmatics weren't seen because they kept their condition secret. I
suspect those two tried a lot harder to keep what they were doing secret
- it was illegal as well as being certain of getting them ostracised -
but, as soon as one person found out, everybody knew.

Oh and don't forget God.

We weren't allowed to, although I never let that affect me.

I doubt there were any black holes when you were at school.

I'm sure there were, even if nobody had proven that Einstein's
prediction was right.

Had man landed on the moon or were we still watching chariot racing. ;-)

Entertainment was the radio or, after we bought a TV to watch the
Coronation, the BBC in black and white in the evenings only.

The earlist records of Asthma was over 4000 years ago, sure I don't expect you to remmeber those people as they were in china.
Asthma is caused by organic material not coal dust or anything you might think will be seen as Asthma.

I wasn't aware that anybody had discovered what causes asthma.

despite much higher levels of pollution.

pollution doesn't cause Asthma it just makes it worse ...

Which is rather the point. It is a trigger mechanism that makes the
symptoms appear. Hence, the more pollution there is, the more likely it
is that symptoms would show.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Hardly anyone was gay, if fact no one was gay when I was at school
although we had a few suspicaions of some teachers.

Ah - right. Like some religious leaders etc saying there are no gays in
their church or whatever?

Gay people don't come with it tabooed on their forehead. And as with
everything else will simply conceal the fact if society disapproves. And
in your school, obviously rather successfully.

Since the original Kinsey report, the percentage of homosexuals in western
society has remained pretty constant.

What would be interesting would be to know how many of your class at that
school were in fact gay.

--
*Nostalgia isn't what is used to be.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/18 10:27, Nightjar wrote:
[...]

** From that, London figures for SPM in micrograms per cubic metre

[...]

I remeber around 1960 my sister came back from France and announced that
they had these things called 'discotheques'

"In the 1950s, dancehalls were common throughout the world. People
danced to the music of a band that usually played cover songs. On 19
October 1959, the former restaurant re-opened as a dancehall, but the
owner did not want to hire a band and used a record player instead.
Klaus Quirini, a volunteer newspaper journalist reporting on the event,
was as bored as most of the visitors and took over the record player. He
used the style common with many radio news reporters, announcing songs
and audience games and giving comments. The first song he played was the
chart hit Ein Schiff wird kommen by Lale Andersen. His style was
immediately popular, and he from then on remained the disc-jockey, one
of the earliest credited DJs. As DJ Heinrich, he organised other DJs to
found a workers' union that made DJ an official (i.e. healthcare
registered) profession."

So 1959 the first official dance to records with a compere.

Hardly anyone was gay, if fact no one was gay when I was at school
although we had a few suspicaions of some teachers.

Two of my classmates were, which is one reason I doubt TNP's claims that
asthmatics weren't seen because they kept their condition secret. I
suspect those two tried a lot harder to keep what they were doing secret
- it was illegal as well as being certain of getting them ostracised -
but, as soon as one person found out, everybody knew.

Asthmatics werent interesting. Gay people were.

[...]

No, pollution *causes* asthma.

As well as acting as a *trigger*. This is established medical 'fact'

But we spent more time ouside than inside tobacco smoke filled rooms then.

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/18 11:00, Max Demian wrote:
On 05/05/18 02:58, wrote:
[...]

Innocence is bliss.

s/innocence/ignorance/

That isn't what I said.

"Not in front of the children"

"Where ignorance is bliss,/'Tis folly to be wise."

--
Of what good are dead warriors? Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/18 10:27, Nightjar wrote:
On 04/05/2018 17:15, whisky-dave wrote:

Hardly anyone was gay, if fact no one was gay when I was at school
although we had a few suspicaions of some teachers.

Two of my classmates were, which is one reason I doubt TNP's claims
that asthmatics weren't seen because they kept their condition secret.
I suspect those two tried a lot harder to keep what they were doing
secret - it was illegal as well as being certain of getting them
ostracised - but, as soon as one person found out, everybody knew.

Asthmatics werent interesting. Gay people were.

IME any variation from the pack norm was known to everybody.

pollution doesn't cause Asthma it just makes it worse ...

Which is rather the point. It is a trigger mechanism that makes the
symptoms appear. Hence, the more pollution there is, the more likely
it is that symptoms would show.

No, pollution *causes* asthma.

As well as acting as a *trigger*. This is established medical 'fact'

According to the NHS, that is one suggestion, but the cause remains unknown:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/asthma/causes/

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Asthmatics werent interesting. Gay people were.

IME any variation from the pack norm was known to everybody.

Absolutely not. In my school year, one boy was known to be gay. Having
been caught 'at it' in a public loo.

One of the 'jocks' who appeared straight as anything with various pretty
girls in tow died of AIDS related things some years later.

Since I moved away from home to work, I've not kept in touch with the old
school. So just a couple of examples I actually know about.

--
*WHY IS IT CALLED TOURIST SEASON IF WE CAN'T SHOOT AT THEM?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Asthmatics werent interesting. Gay people were.

IME any variation from the pack norm was known to everybody.

Absolutely not. In my school year, one boy was known to be gay. Having
been caught 'at it' in a public loo.

One of the 'jocks' who appeared straight as anything with various pretty
girls in tow died of AIDS related things some years later.

Arthur Ashe, the tennis player, died of AIDS caused by a contaminated blood
transfusion.

Since I moved away from home to work, I've not kept in touch with the old
school. So just a couple of examples I actually know about.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
One of the 'jocks' who appeared straight as anything with various
pretty girls in tow died of AIDS related things some years later.

Arthur Ashe, the tennis player, died of AIDS caused by a contaminated
blood transfusion.

But not the person I'm referring to.

I'm not one of those who thinks HIV exclusive to gays.

--
*Why do they put Braille on the drive-through bank machines?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Asthmatics werent interesting. Gay people were.

IME any variation from the pack norm was known to everybody.

Absolutely not. ...

You think that nobody would have noticed asthmatics getting excused games?

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Asthmatics werent interesting. Gay people were.

IME any variation from the pack norm was known to everybody.

Absolutely not. In my school year, one boy was known to be gay. Having
been caught 'at it' in a public loo.

One of the 'jocks' who appeared straight as anything with various pretty
girls in tow died of AIDS related things some years later.

You don't have to be gay to get aids!!!

A lot of haemophilics got aids early on as did others who needed blood.

You need more education.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What would be interesting would be to know how many of your class at that
school were in fact gay.

It wouldn't be interesting at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/18 16:44, Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
*** Nightjar wrote:
Asthmatics werent interesting. Gay people were.

IME any variation from the pack norm was known to everybody.

Absolutely not. ...

You think that nobody would have noticed asthmatics getting excused games?

Lost of people were excused games.

For all sorts of reasons. Mainly we tried to play inless thinsg got very
bad. Early on this was all before inhalers, and we were dosed up on
ephedrine. or pseudo-ephedrine, which is in itself a pretty weird peice
of ****.

So we wouldnt neceessarily nbe noticed unless we had a major attack in
the school. I never did

My asthma was all rural/domestic related and school was 'in town'...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/18 16:44, Nightjar wrote:

You think that nobody would have noticed asthmatics getting excused
games?

Lost of people were excused games....

Not in my school. The PE teacher had been an Army instructor in the
Great War. Exercise was good for everything and there was no reason at
all not to do games. Being dead would be about the only excuse he
*might* accept.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Asthmatics werent interesting. Gay people were.

IME any variation from the pack norm was known to everybody.

Absolutely not. ...

You think that nobody would have noticed...

Noticed what?

--
*I have never hated a man enough to give his diamonds back.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/18 19:11, Nightjar wrote:
On 05/05/18 16:44, Nightjar wrote:

You think that nobody would have noticed asthmatics getting excused
games?

Lost of people were excused games....

Not in my school. The PE teacher had been an Army instructor in the
Great War. Exercise was good for everything and there was no reason at
all not to do games. Being dead would be about the only excuse he
*might* accept.

Ah, but the vast majoroity of pupils in MY school were paying a ****load
of money to be there. Parents concerns were listened to.

Only us 'scholarship boys' got treated a bit like dirt...but it was
understood we were there to improve the scools university entrance
statistics

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

From that, London figures for SPM in micrograms per cubic metre a

[...]

In which case you would expect that there should have
been lots of asthma when there was so much horse
**** in the streets, but there wasnt for some reason.

And it isnt possible that there is a lot more pollen etc
now than there was when the boomers were kids either.

not coal dust or anything you might think will be seen as Asthma.

despite much higher levels of pollution.

pollution doesn't cause Asthma it just makes it worse

Easy to claim.

becuase if you have polluted lungs of lead, astestos or
anyhting else there more chance yuo'll get Asthma and
it'll lucky efect yuo more due to reduced lung capacity due
to pollution or just having one lung like a girl I knew once.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote
Nightjar wrote

For that, you would have to do your own research. It is getting too far
away from my original point, which was that I don't recall anybody I
knew as a child having asthma, despite much higher levels of pollution.

But you didn't have asthma did you?
I did, and can recall half a dozen. Surreptitiously
reaching for inhalers and being excused sports.

None of the kids I knew were excused sports
and we would certainly have noticed that.

We were ashamed of it, and we hid it.

Not possible to hide being excused sports.

I got better in my teens - after my chain smoking
dad died. it's only returned in the last 15 years

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 05/05/2018 08:20, harry wrote:
On Friday, 4 May 2018 12:24:03 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:

From that, London figures for SPM in micrograms per cubic metre a

2016 - 16
1980 - 82
1970 - 124
1960 - 167
1950 - 209
1940 - 368
1900 - 571

Very small particles are more dangerous. As from diesel engines.

85% of PM2.5 particles generated by road traffic are from non-exhaust
sources; predominantly tyre wear, road wear and the raising of dust from
the road surface. Those come from all vehicles, whatever their motive
power.

But its far from clear that there is any real health problem
from those, let alone that they are relevant for asthma.

The earlier figures will include very significant levels of soot particles
from coal burning as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/18 02:58, wrote:
[...]

So, what's the difference between ignorance and innocence?

Imnpossible to explain to an ignorant person, but you could try a
dictionary.

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/05/18 21:59, Fredxx wrote:
So, what's the difference between ignorance and innocence?

One gets you a reduced sentence, the other gets you off.

LOL :-)

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Asthmatics werent interesting. Gay people were.

IME any variation from the pack norm was known to everybody.

Absolutely not. ...

You think that nobody would have noticed...

Noticed what?

The bit you trimmed.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
Nightjar wrote:
Asthmatics werent interesting. Gay people were.

IME any variation from the pack norm was known to everybody.

Absolutely not. ...

You think that nobody would have noticed...

Noticed what?

The bit you trimmed.

Ah. Did wonder if you'd noticed trimming a post in a certain way changes
its meaning. If so, why did you do it?

--
*Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Highly insulated homes and Asthma Andrew Gabriel UK diy 14 January 16th 15 11:44 PM
EASY MONEY 24/7. $100 to $500 per DAY at home,have payment proof [email protected] Home Ownership 0 October 30th 08 06:04 AM
What Causes Asthma? How Is Asthma Diagnosed? How Is Asthma Treated? muthuvarmadom UK diy 0 August 12th 08 01:20 PM
Asthma Samantha Booth UK diy 98 June 28th 08 09:03 AM
More than 500$ for "decent" TS? Really? was: which Table saw for $500 or less? Hedley Woodworking 30 September 8th 05 05:07 AM