Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Highly insulated homes and Asthma

Some research at Exeter has found that people in highly insulated
homes are 50-100% more likely to get Asthma than those who aren't.
This research covered housing association homes.

The suggestion is that these homes are much better sealed (as all
highly insulated homes are), and the standards result in inadequate
background ventilation, particularly when used by the fuel-poor who
minimise the use of manual ventilation in an effiort to reduce
fuel bills.

This was mentioned by You and Yours on Radio 4, but I had to go and
search on the web to find out what they were actually talking about.
The report itself is in a paid-for journal though.

--
Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Some research at Exeter has found that people in highly insulated
homes are 50-100% more likely to get Asthma than those who aren't.
This research covered housing association homes.

The suggestion is that these homes are much better sealed (as all
highly insulated homes are), and the standards result in inadequate
background ventilation, particularly when used by the fuel-poor who
minimise the use of manual ventilation in an effiort to reduce
fuel bills.

This was mentioned by You and Yours on Radio 4, but I had to go and
search on the web to find out what they were actually talking about.
The report itself is in a paid-for journal though.

Doesn't surprise me. I think in years to come removing chimneys from
houses will be seen as a mistake.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/15 15:07, Tim+ wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Some research at Exeter has found that people in highly insulated
homes are 50-100% more likely to get Asthma than those who aren't.
This research covered housing association homes.

The suggestion is that these homes are much better sealed (as all
highly insulated homes are), and the standards result in inadequate
background ventilation, particularly when used by the fuel-poor who
minimise the use of manual ventilation in an effiort to reduce
fuel bills.

This was mentioned by You and Yours on Radio 4, but I had to go and
search on the web to find out what they were actually talking about.
The report itself is in a paid-for journal though.

Doesn't surprise me. I think in years to come removing chimneys from
houses will be seen as a mistake.

I had serious asthma as a child in a house that was cold and had no
central heating. It all disappeared when I moved to a centrally heated
student accommodation, and never opened a window. Of course I also lost
a rural environment and my mother, both of who I suspect had a serious
effect.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2015 14:43, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Some research at Exeter has found that people in highly insulated
homes are 50-100% more likely to get Asthma than those who aren't.
This research covered housing association homes.

I expect the dust mites and various fungi will love the humid and
continuously warm modern airless centrally heated home.

The suggestion is that these homes are much better sealed (as all
highly insulated homes are), and the standards result in inadequate
background ventilation, particularly when used by the fuel-poor who
minimise the use of manual ventilation in an effiort to reduce
fuel bills.

No reason why airchanges cannot be done through a heat exchange but they
tend to be hermetically sealed (at least until subsidence occurs). Have
you seen the salts that come out of modern brick build?

This was mentioned by You and Yours on Radio 4, but I had to go and
search on the web to find out what they were actually talking about.
The report itself is in a paid-for journal though.

Insufficient ventilation encourages moulds and from them mould spores.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 14 January 2015 15:13:26 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I had serious asthma as a child in a house that was cold and had no
central heating. It all disappeared when I moved to a centrally heated
student accommodation, and never opened a window. Of course I also lost
a rural environment and my mother, both of who I suspect had a serious
effect.

Or perhaps beer and kebabs have a prophylactic effect/

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
[...]

Asthma has all sorts of causes. eg Pollen, traffic fumes.
So keeping the place shut tight can help in some cases.
It's possible to buy stand alone air filters to help asthma sufferers.
Also demumidifiers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Some research at Exeter has found that people in highly insulated
homes are 50-100% more likely to get Asthma than those who aren't.
This research covered housing association homes.

The suggestion is that these homes are much better sealed (as all
highly insulated homes are), and the standards result in inadequate
background ventilation, particularly when used by the fuel-poor who
minimise the use of manual ventilation in an effiort to reduce
fuel bills.

This was mentioned by You and Yours on Radio 4, but I had to go and
search on the web to find out what they were actually talking about.
The report itself is in a paid-for journal though.

Doesn't surprise me. I think in years to come removing chimneys from
houses will be seen as a mistake.

I dont. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to have
something more sophisticated than an unused chimney
to do something about the background ventilation.

And without being able to see the actual research,
its hard to say if they did allow for the other obvious
possibility, that inadequate ventilation is seeing more
mould that is desirable and if that is the real problem
with the higher rate of asthma and easily fixed if it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Some research at Exeter has found that people in highly insulated
homes are 50-100% more likely to get Asthma than those who aren't.
This research covered housing association homes.

The suggestion is that these homes are much better sealed (as all
highly insulated homes are), and the standards result in inadequate
background ventilation, particularly when used by the fuel-poor who
minimise the use of manual ventilation in an effiort to reduce
fuel bills.

This was mentioned by You and Yours on Radio 4, but I had to go and
search on the web to find out what they were actually talking about.
The report itself is in a paid-for journal though.

I seem to remember the BMA publishing research that laminate flooring
instead of carpets was a cause of asthma - however NHS direct suggest that
laminate flooring is better than carpets for asthma sufferers.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2015 18:44, ARW wrote:
[...]

It could be, in a sort-of way, that both are true. The various
substances of which both laminate, especially cheap stuff, and synthetic
carpets are made might give off substances which cause asthma. Whereas
mainly wood flooring and wool carpets might be good. So swapping either
cheap flooring for either expensive one would be an improvement!
(Obviously an ultra-simplified idea - surely reality is much more
complicated than that.)

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"polygonum" wrote in message
On 15/01/2015 18:44, ARW wrote:
[...]

I do remember that the article said that carpets trap dust whereas laminate
does not trap dust. Of course this was 13 years ago and was just about the
time laminate flooring became popular and houses were been built without
proper ventilation.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/15 18:44, ARW wrote:

I seem to remember the BMA publishing research that laminate flooring
instead of carpets was a cause of asthma - however NHS direct suggest
that laminate flooring is better than carpets for asthma sufferers.

My kids have slight asthma and carpets are definitely less good compared
to solid floors. Assuming you actually bother to hoover your solid
floors Because dust bunnies are dust bunnies either way.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/15 18:44, ARW wrote:
[...]

What used to get me was human and cat dander - house mites and also
fungal growth. DRY houses - and that usually means warm well ventilated
houses - are the key to health.

Too much insulation with low heating and not enough ventilation will do
the job as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

It seems that being a lazy **** is the new way to die early

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30812439

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/15 18:44, ARW wrote:
[...]

AIUI low humidity is bad, and almost unavoidable with CH and good insulation

Locksmith Los Angeles (877) 364-5264 Homes Re-Keyed Homes Unlocked linkswanted Woodworking 1 December 22nd 08 05:30 PM
Heat balancing between poorly insulated and well insulated parts ofhouse [email protected] UK diy 7 December 15th 08 07:45 PM
What Causes Asthma? How Is Asthma Diagnosed? How Is Asthma Treated? muthuvarmadom UK diy 0 August 12th 08 01:20 PM
Asthma Samantha Booth UK diy 98 June 28th 08 09:03 AM
Transeastern Homes/Ashton Woods Homes in FL CJ Home Ownership 0 February 16th 04 06:27 PM