Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default The 14,500 people over 100 don't have asthma

On Friday, 4 May 2018 12:24:03 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 04/05/2018 11:51, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 4 May 2018 09:29:53 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
On 03/05/2018 12:08, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 May 2018 17:29:37 UTC+1, Nightjar wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/05/18 09:28, Nightjar wrote:
Asthma is certainly something that I don't recall anybody I knew as a
child having, which I doubt would be the case today.

At least 4 people in my class at primary school had it and 3-4 in my
secondary school, as did I.

We didnt advertise the fact tho.

I had a cousin with asthma but that was a rarity in the 1940s.

Think it might have depended on where you live. Pollution varied greatly
across the UK.

I grew up in London.

London might be one city but there are differnt places in London.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3236611.html

However, that is applying modern standards.

What's wrong with that ?

It is not very relevant if you are talking about the situation in the
1940s or 1950s.

According to this article,
today both NOx and particulates are at a quarter of the level they were
in the 1970s:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-f...lth-emergency/

I'd like to see the actual measurements.

Suspended particulate matter (SPM) figures are available from the
download on this page:

https://ourworldindata.org/london-air-pollution

From that, London figures for SPM in micrograms per cubic metre a

2016 - 16
1980 - 82
1970 - 124
1960 - 167
1950 - 209
1940 - 368
1900 - 571

Very small particles are more dangerous. As from diesel engines.