Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing / Installing Fluorescent Starters

I have MANY twin 6 foot fluorescent fittings in my workshop (72 I think) and
changing the starters is a pain - they don't stick out enough to grip, and
you have to reach round the tubes to get at them. Not easy 12 foot up. (yes
I'd like to change them for LEDs but the capital cost is huge)

There MUST be a tool to engage with the two dimples that they all have on
the exposed end - but I've never been able to source one commercially - so
today I printed one on my Cetus 3D printer. Oh boy why didn't I do it years
ago - SO much easier

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/04/2018 21:16, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I have MANY twin 6 foot fluorescent fittings in my workshop (72 I think)
and changing the starters is a pain - they don't stick out enough to
grip, and you have to reach round the tubes to get at them. Not easy 12
foot up. (yes I'd like to change them for LEDs but the capital cost is
huge)

There MUST be a tool to engage with the two dimples that they all have
on the exposed end - but I've never been able to source one commercially
- so today I printed one on my Cetus 3D printer. Oh boy why didn't I do
it years ago - SO much easier

Is it because years ago you did not have a 3D printer?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 April 2018 21:16:27 UTC+1, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I have MANY twin 6 foot fluorescent fittings in my workshop (72 I think) and
changing the starters is a pain - they don't stick out enough to grip, and
you have to reach round the tubes to get at them. Not easy 12 foot up. (yes
I'd like to change them for LEDs but the capital cost is huge)

There MUST be a tool to engage with the two dimples that they all have on
the exposed end - but I've never been able to source one commercially - so
today I printed one on my Cetus 3D printer. Oh boy why didn't I do it years
ago - SO much easier

Andrew

I'd have used a scrap of wood & 2 bolts.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:16:38 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

I have MANY twin 6 foot fluorescent fittings in my workshop (72 I think) and
changing the starters is a pain - they don't stick out enough to grip, and
you have to reach round the tubes to get at them. Not easy 12 foot up. (yes
I'd like to change them for LEDs but the capital cost is huge)

There MUST be a tool to engage with the two dimples that they all have on
the exposed end - but I've never been able to source one commercially - so
today I printed one on my Cetus 3D printer. Oh boy why didn't I do it years
ago - SO much easier

Exactly my thoughts the other day where one of my (only) two fittings
in the kitchen seems to have it's starter socket recessed more than
the other, even requiring me to open the fitting up to retrieve a lost
starter on one occasion. ;-(

Did you design this tool yourself Andrew? A thin walled tube with a
couple of lugs up inside a bit to give you some turning purchase?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I drew it up in Fusion 360 and printed it on my Cetus 3D printer - it's a
simple tube with two ridges on the inside. The dimples are only 2mm wide so
difficult to do with wood and screws, but dead easy with a 3D printer . I
suppose without the 3D printer I could have milled one out, but not an easy
operation.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:10:53 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

Did you design this tool yourself Andrew? A thin walled tube with a
couple of lugs up inside a bit to give you some turning purchase?

I drew it up in Fusion 360 and printed it on my Cetus 3D printer - it's a
simple tube with two ridges on the inside. The dimples are only 2mm wide so
difficult to do with wood and screws, but dead easy with a 3D printer

Do you use a .stl output file and would you be willing to share it OOI
Andrew?

suppose without the 3D printer I could have milled one out, but not an easy
operation.

Quite. It's not one of those things you would buy (or build g) a 3D
printer for but once you have one it sounds like a good use. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message news

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:10:53 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

Did you design this tool yourself Andrew? A thin walled tube with a
couple of lugs up inside a bit to give you some turning purchase?

I drew it up in Fusion 360 and printed it on my Cetus 3D printer - it's a
simple tube with two ridges on the inside. The dimples are only 2mm wide
so
difficult to do with wood and screws, but dead easy with a 3D printer

Do you use a .stl output file and would you be willing to share it OOI
Andrew?

suppose without the 3D printer I could have milled one out, but not an
easy
operation.

Quite. It's not one of those things you would buy (or build g) a 3D
printer for but once you have one it sounds like a good use. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Happy to share the .STL - de-munge my address and email me and I'll forward
it to you

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2018 22:52, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
news

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:10:53 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

[...]

Perhaps we should host some of that kind of stuff on the wiki?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 00:47:44 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/04/2018 22:52, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
news

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:10:53 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

[...]

not a bad idea

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
alo alo is offline

wrote:

I have MANY twin 6 foot fluorescent fittings in my workshop (72 I think) and
changing the starters is a pain - they don't stick out enough to grip, and
you have to reach round the tubes to get at them. Not easy 12 foot up. (yes
I'd like to change them for LEDs but the capital cost is huge)

There MUST be a tool to engage with the two dimples that they all have on
the exposed end - but I've never been able to source one commercially - so
today I printed one on my Cetus 3D printer. Oh boy why didn't I do it years
ago - SO much easier

Andrew

Sounds interesting.... any pictures?

How long did it take to print out?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have MANY twin 6 foot fluorescent fittings in my workshop (72 I think)
and
changing the starters is a pain - they don't stick out enough to grip, and
you have to reach round the tubes to get at them. Not easy 12 foot up.
(yes
I'd like to change them for LEDs but the capital cost is huge)

There MUST be a tool to engage with the two dimples that they all have on
the exposed end - but I've never been able to source one commercially - so
today I printed one on my Cetus 3D printer. Oh boy why didn't I do it
years
ago - SO much easier

Andrew

Sounds interesting.... any pictures?

How long did it take to print out?

About 30 minutes,
Thread and pictures he

wrote:

I have MANY twin 6 foot fluorescent fittings in my workshop (72 I think)
and
changing the starters is a pain - they don't stick out enough to grip, and
you have to reach round the tubes to get at them. Not easy 12 foot up.
(yes
I'd like to change them for LEDs but the capital cost is huge)

There MUST be a tool to engage with the two dimples that they all have on
the exposed end - but I've never been able to source one commercially - so
today I printed one on my Cetus 3D printer. Oh boy why didn't I do it
years
ago - SO much easier

Andrew

Sounds interesting.... any pictures?

How long did it take to print out?

About 30 minutes - thread and pictures here :

https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,12558.0.html

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson submitted this idea :
About 30 minutes - thread and pictures here :

https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,12558.0.html

Andrew

Might it have been better, to stop the two ribs a bit further back from
the tube end, to allow the tube to go on further - to make it a more
positive grip on the starter?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2018 08:59, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 00:11:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 00:47:44 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/04/2018 22:52, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:10:53 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

[...]

+1

Definitely a modern take on the d-i-y and helping each other theme.
;-)

I will need to tweak the allowable file types for upload - since
mediawiki by default only allows a limited list of file types.

What are the typical file extensions?

(or perhaps its easier to simply allow .zip and assume anything will be
zipped first)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 24/04/2018 08:59, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 00:11:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 00:47:44 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/04/2018 22:52, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:10:53 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

[...]

A bad idea surely? Zipped files are used to conceal all sorts of
nefarious things.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 13:35:21 +0100, Tim+ wrote:

John Rumm Wrote in message:

=====snip=====

What are the typical file extensions?

(or perhaps its easier to simply allow .zip and assume anything will be
zipped first)

A bad idea surely? Zipped files are used to conceal all sorts of
nefarious things.

Potentially but it's more accurate to say that a zip file is simply a
container file that can hold any type of file (compressed or not) which
could just as easily be malware as not. They've certainly been used for
such nefarious a purpose in times past as well as providing a convenient
way of sending a group of jpg picture files as just a single attachment
to an email.

A zip file could be likened to the container for Schroedingers cat
that's been alluded to in recent posts elsewhere in this group. Until you
open it, the contents of an anonymous zip file are both bonumware and
malware simultaneously. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 12:39:11 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andrew Mawson submitted this idea :
About 30 minutes - thread and pictures here :

https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,12558.0.html

Andrew

Might it have been better, to stop the two ribs a bit further back from
the tube end, to allow the tube to go on further - to make it a more
positive grip on the starter?

An excellent idea for the next batch, I'd have thought. :-)

Also, btw, looking at the last 3 posts, ignoring the one by 'efrench', I
see that PK misunderstood RussellT's post about replacing the plug in
starter switches with electronic plug in starter switches (less than a
couple of quid each from etailers (local electrical factors live in
blissful ignorance of these gadgets, preferring instead to keep dealing
in the ancient neon heated bi-metal starter at just pennies less than the
modern and bloody effective electronic starter switches - mini-rant
over), perhaps thinking the 'electronic' reference was to the modern HF
ballasts which can cost anywhere from 11 quid a pop to somewhere around
the 25 quid mark and higher! As a consequence, he talked about an
'upgrading exercise' involving 2000lm LED tubes, presumably to replace
the brighter 1200mm (4ft) 2500 to 3000 lm T12 40W tubes which, including
ballast losses, take some 52W per single tube fitting (the 30W savings
figure makes no sense otherwise).

It rather looks like PK bought into the LED tube fraud a little
prematurely since it looks like he's using 90LPW LED tubes rather than
going for 125LPW LEDs which have been available for more than 12 months
now (if not in tube form, certainly in GLS lamp form).

Even if you can bulk buy electronic starters for just a quid each, at 70
quid's worth to save having to replace the odd bi-metal strip starter out
of a fleet of 70 once or twice a year, Andrew's 3D printer starter switch
extraction tool is still the optimum solution imo. Any bigger an
investment in upgrading such a large fleet of fluorescent lights
(electronic starters, LED 'tubes' or electronic HF ballasts) must surely
be a folly when cheap cost effective LED panel luminaires are only a few
years away as a modern replacement.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 12:49:20 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

I will need to tweak the allowable file types for upload - since
mediawiki by default only allows a limited list of file types.

What are the typical file extensions?

I'd say .stl is a fairly common output file format if people wanted to
submit finished things for others to print (or possibly convert and
print) but I've only really experienced my own printer and Sketchup
etc.

(or perhaps its easier to simply allow .zip and assume anything will be
zipped first)

Lots of stuff for 3D printing seems to come zipped (Thingiverse etc)
as many 3D printed jobs are made of several parts and may also include
notes and the source / design files.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message news

Andrew Mawson submitted this idea :
About 30 minutes - thread and pictures here :

https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,12558.0.html

Andrew

Might it have been better, to stop the two ribs a bit further back from the
tube end, to allow the tube to go on further - to make it a more positive
grip on the starter?

No - the hole in the fluorescent fitting isn't big enough to take the tube
and to make the tube thinner it would be too weak.

It works - it meets my requirements - it took minimal time ()while I was
waiting for a Wickes timber delivery !) - it's fie as it is

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2018 13:35, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 24/04/2018 08:59, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 00:11:14 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 00:47:44 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 23/04/2018 22:52, Andrew Mawson wrote:
"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 22:10:53 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

[...]

On an open wiki sure... ours is writeable by account holders only which
limits the damage somewhat.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 00:47:43 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Perhaps we should host some of that kind of stuff on the wiki?

Sounds like a good idea, and maybe a list of those willing to do the
printing for a nominal fee or known good commercial places. Still
waiting for a coin/card operarted 3D printer to turn up in the local
Spar, it's got a photocopier...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2018 21:16, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I have MANY twin 6 foot fluorescent fittings in my workshop (72 I think)
and changing the starters is a pain - they don't stick out enough to
grip, and you have to reach round the tubes to get at them. Not easy 12
foot up. (yes I'd like to change them for LEDs but the capital cost is
huge)

There MUST be a tool to engage with the two dimples that they all have
on the exposed end - but I've never been able to source one commercially
- so today I printed one on my Cetus 3D printer. Oh boy why didn't I do
it years ago - SO much easier

Andrew

That's probably the first reasonable DIY use for them that I've come across.

Knock up a couple of dozen and stick them on eBay at a couple of quid a
time and see what sort of take-up you get.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Apr 2018 21:41:15 GMT, Huge wrote:

I am very pleased with the two I put up in the garage.

I'm very pleased with the three I got for the kitchens and utily room
here.

But the damn things were £48 each.

One was about £15 (Philips Homebase, distress purchase). The other
two £4.99 from Aldi when they didn't sell and priced dropped from the
orginal £9.99.

5' 22W 2000lm CRI 90. Lower lumens than a 58W florry but I barely
noticed the light level change on swapping and certainly don't now.
Acid test: SWMBO'd has made no comment.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 20:36:21 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 23/04/2018 21:16, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I have MANY twin 6 foot fluorescent fittings in my workshop (72 I think)
and changing the starters is a pain - they don't stick out enough to
grip, and you have to reach round the tubes to get at them. Not easy 12
foot up. (yes I'd like to change them for LEDs but the capital cost is
huge)

There MUST be a tool to engage with the two dimples that they all have
on the exposed end - but I've never been able to source one commercially
- so today I printed one on my Cetus 3D printer. Oh boy why didn't I do
it years ago - SO much easier

Andrew

That's probably the first reasonable DIY use for them that I've come across.

You need to look around more. ;-)

I have printed *many* d-i-y related things and the most typical being
drilling / marking templates.

The good thing about printing rather than say knocking them up from
offcuts is that you can optimise the design to exactly what you want,
without having to worry what materials you happen to have.

The other good thing about printing is there is also less risk /
better accuracy when making them because most 3D printers will print
with sub mm accuracy, certainly much better than my eyes a rule and
pencil these days. ;-(

Knock up a couple of dozen and stick them on eBay at a couple of quid a
time and see what sort of take-up you get.

The problem I see with that is that there are several designs of
starter and it opens up the opportunity for people to give negative
feedback if the 'tool' doesn't happen to fit theirs. ;-(

I built a box section steel chassis to be able to dismount a chipper
from it's road trailer and to wheel it into places with restricted
access (like a sack barrow).

To allow the 1" diameter stub axles to fit inside the box section
easily I just printed a 100mm square insert with a 1" tubular hole
down the middle and slipped a bolt though the lot at the inner end to
stop the axle moving or coming out.

The thing is, in most cases if you can think of something and are able
to design it you can (generally) have it that day. ;-)

The last thing I did was print a bracket that allowed me to mount a
surface mount PIR lamp on the corner of a building. You can get corner
mounted lights of course but not of the particular lamp design or
price we wanted. ;-)

End brackets to allow support poles to be placed on a trailer to stop
the cover sagging ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound brought next idea :
That's probably the first reasonable DIY use for them that I've come across.

Knock up a couple of dozen and stick them on eBay at a couple of quid a time
and see what sort of take-up you get.

Add a hole for one of those belt loop clips, and it would be perfect.
Leaves your hands free to then climb step ladders...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 24 April 2018 18:35:58 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 24/04/2018 13:35, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 24/04/2018 08:59, T i m wrote:
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 00:11:14 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

A zip file is inherently of unknown content/nature, so very much something liable to make people paranoid. And something it'll be hassle for the maintainers to check. And not necessary.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message ...

[...]

Useful things I've 3D printed recently with my Cetus:

Tubular bracket for friends wardrobe rail
Adaptor from 3" electrical ducting to 110mm underground (cable network
between buildings)
Clips to hold the polycarbonate splash guards on my CNC Wire EDM machine
A regulator valve male taper for a milking machine washdown system for a
friend
A tray receiver to allow a Kinect sensor to perch on a monitor for 3D
scanning
A set of buttons for an infants cardigan with pictures of lambs on them
A blanking plug 55mm diameter for my Beaver Partsmaster CNC milling machine
complete with logo
A spray nozzle and mounting to replace one for my hydroponic pig cooling
misting system
Some spur gears
And of course the Starter Gripper

it's a very useful tool - doesn't get used every day but does things that
would be difficult otherwise

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 17:08:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip

A zip file is inherently of unknown content/nature, so very much something liable to make people paranoid. And something it'll be hassle for the maintainers to check. And not necessary.

Have you ever been on Thingiverse OOI?

https://www.thingiverse.com/

Thousands of .zip files on there potentially being downloaded and
opened by loads of people and like that for a reason.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 09:26:54 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

Useful things I've 3D printed recently with my Cetus:

Tubular bracket for friends wardrobe rail
Adaptor from 3" electrical ducting to 110mm underground (cable network
between buildings)

Ooooh, now there's an idea. I have some drainpipe that runs from just
inside the back of the sub-floor of the house (laid under the concrete
base of the extension) to just outside the workshop. There are
currently two lengths of SWA that are threaded though the pipe and
into the workshop via a hole core drilled diagonally though the slab
and I was trying to work out a way of either continuing the drainpipe
up near the hole under the slab or just print am end cap that take a
std drainpipe fitting down the OD of two runs of SWA and just cover
the SWA as normal (and only with soil in that location). ;-)

Clips to hold the polycarbonate splash guards on my CNC Wire EDM machine
A regulator valve male taper for a milking machine washdown system for a
friend
A tray receiver to allow a Kinect sensor to perch on a monitor for 3D
scanning
A set of buttons for an infants cardigan with pictures of lambs on them

Cute. ;-)

A blanking plug 55mm diameter for my Beaver Partsmaster CNC milling machine
complete with logo
A spray nozzle and mounting to replace one for my hydroponic pig cooling
misting system
Some spur gears
And of course the Starter Gripper

Brilliant.

it's a very useful tool - doesn't get used every day but does things that
would be difficult otherwise

Quite. Like my trunking end. I could even include a third outlet for
some smaller flexible conduit so that I could run a network or video
cable through if I wanted later. Making something like that without a
3D printer would be pretty difficult whereas with it's just the
drawing of 3 tubes in line with one bigger one and blending them
together. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message ...

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 09:26:54 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

[...]

Don't forget that 3D printed PLA isn't waterproof unless you treat it. ABS
can be sealed with an Acetone vapour soak.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
news
"T i m" wrote in message

[...]

I still havent found anything I could do with one.

I have had a need for some brass or stainless BSP adapters that it wouldn't
do.

Keep killing Culinare One Touch Automatic Jar Openers but since they
don't appear to be able to make the working parts in strong enough
plastic, its unlikely that something I could make would be even stronger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 11:10:59 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

Quite. Like my trunking end. I could even include a third outlet for
some smaller flexible conduit so that I could run a network or video
cable through if I wanted later. Making something like that without a
3D printer would be pretty difficult whereas with it's just the
drawing of 3 tubes in line with one bigger one and blending them
together. ;-)

Don't forget that 3D printed PLA isn't waterproof unless you treat it.

Whilst I was aware PLA was 'biodegradable' and made from corn starch
or some such, just how non-waterproof is it?

eg, If it was in soil 18" under the surface, would that be wet enough
to be worried about it's waterproofedness and how long do you think we
are talking about before it dissolves away?

How would I 'treat it' to make it more waterproof?

FWIW, I could use whatever I print as a former and fibreglass over the
top?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Can't see why - just extracting the content poses no more risk than
downloading the individual files. Its what you do with the files next
that matters.

And something it'll be
hassle for the maintainers to check. And not necessary.

I can see that larger projects may well have documentation (PDFs, text
files, word processor docs etc, and possibly images), files with the
actual 3D models in a number of CAD/Drawing program formats, and also
various output and intermediate files (DXF, STL, G Code etc). Forcing
people to upload 20 separate files rather than one archive does not seem
ideal.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2018 12:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew Mawson submitted this idea :
About 30 minutes - thread and pictures here :

https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,12558.0.html

Andrew

Might it have been better, to stop the two ribs a bit further back from
the tube end, to allow the tube to go on further - to make it a more
positive grip on the starter?

An advantage of the current "right through") design is that if the lugs
get mangled/wear, all you need do is a chop a bit off the end and you
have a "fresh" end to use.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 April 2018 11:18:37 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
news

it's a very useful tool - doesn't get used every day but does things that
would be difficult otherwise

I still havent found anything I could do with one.

you haven't found anything you can do with your useless brain either, hence you waste everyone's time here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

On 24/04/2018 12:39, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew Mawson submitted this idea :
About 30 minutes - thread and pictures here :

https://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,12558.0.html

Andrew

Might it have been better, to stop the two ribs a bit further back from
the tube end, to allow the tube to go on further - to make it a more
positive grip on the starter?

An advantage of the current "right through") design is that if the lugs get
mangled/wear, all you need do is a chop a bit off the end and you have a
"fresh" end to use.

Also remember - this was an "immediate need" sort of thing.

So steam up Fusion 360, draw two concentric circles 19.7 mm and 22 mm, draw
two small 2 mm circles on the diameter where it bisects the smaller circle
half protruding into the middle. Select the shape so produced and extrude it
55 mm - save as an .STL file - port it to the Cetus and have a cup of tea -
job done, problem solved. 5 mins to draw up, about 30 mins printing, no need
to get too anal about the design.

I did consider incorporating a knurled gripper for ones fingers but it just
wasn't worth the bother

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message news

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 11:10:59 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

snip

[...]

A friend has PLA printed a housing for his weather station sensor
electronics - this is mounted on a pole in the air exposed to all weathers
and so far has lasted over 4 years unaffected. However I have heard from an
acquaintance in Australia that PLA degrades in the high UV levels that they
get there.

Dipping in clear spirit based varnish effectively seals PLA - don't use
water based (for this or anything else for that matter !!!!)

Andrew