Ivan Vegvary

Default Magnetic Starters

Picked up three mag starters at a garage sale today. I tested them and they
do 'hold'. Problem is that they are not three phase.

Would there be any danger if I installed them (grinder) and hooked up only 2
of the 3 phase legs to the starter. The third leg I could hook up to a
manual switch. Just trying to save some money. Anybody see a safety
downside?

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

carl mciver

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
| Picked up three mag starters at a garage sale today. I tested them and
they
| do 'hold'. Problem is that they are not three phase.
|
| Would there be any danger if I installed them (grinder) and hooked up only
2
| of the 3 phase legs to the starter. The third leg I could hook up to a
| manual switch. Just trying to save some money. Anybody see a safety
| downside?
|
| Thanks,
| Ivan Vegvary

I'm having a hard time finding a "good" reason at all for doing such a
thing. If there happens to be a short on the unprotected leg, and you're
that short, I doubt that you'll be in any condition to turn it off. Free
isn't worth your life or health.
Save it for a 220V device. Starters aren't expensive, and on ebay even
cheaper. I'm sure some on the list might have some they'll send you just
for shipping.

Mr.Shadow

Sir;
I have NIB 3-ph. starter/contactor/relays for $25/ea. + shipping.
E-mail if you want an easy and low cost fix to your problem.
Cheers,
MrShadow0(Ret.Old.Pfart)
Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Picked up three mag starters at a garage sale today. I tested them and they
do 'hold'. Problem is that they are not three phase.

Would there be any danger if I installed them (grinder) and hooked up only 2
of the 3 phase legs to the starter. The third leg I could hook up to a
manual switch. Just trying to save some money. Anybody see a safety
downside?

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Brian Lawson

Hey Ivan,

Assuming these each have two poles, why not install two of them side
by side, and you'll have the three you need plus a spare. Some
instances, that fourth one is usefully anyway, as the "self-holding"
contact.

Do these have overload heaters?

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 05:06:17 GMT, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Picked up three mag starters at a garage sale today. I tested them and they
do 'hold'. Problem is that they are not three phase.

Would there be any danger if I installed them (grinder) and hooked up only 2
of the 3 phase legs to the starter. The third leg I could hook up to a
manual switch. Just trying to save some money. Anybody see a safety
downside?

Thanks,
Ivan Vegvary

Robin S.

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
Picked up three mag starters at a garage sale today. I tested them and
they do 'hold'. Problem is that they are not three phase.

Would there be any danger if I installed them (grinder) and hooked up only
2 of the 3 phase legs to the starter. The third leg I could hook up to a
manual switch. Just trying to save some money. Anybody see a safety
downside?

You may be able to replace some components within the starter to switch to
three phase. I'm not an electrician, but frequently these things have
standard mountings...

If not, I agree with Carl. Think about the guy that has to pull your butt
off that machine as you're being electrocuted...

Regards,

Robin