carl mciver

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
news:dfkEe.655$Eo3.91@trnddc08...
| Picked up three mag starters at a garage sale today. I tested them and
they
| do 'hold'. Problem is that they are not three phase.
|
| Would there be any danger if I installed them (grinder) and hooked up only
2
| of the 3 phase legs to the starter. The third leg I could hook up to a
| manual switch. Just trying to save some money. Anybody see a safety
| downside?
|
| Thanks,
| Ivan Vegvary

I'm having a hard time finding a "good" reason at all for doing such a
thing. If there happens to be a short on the unprotected leg, and you're
that short, I doubt that you'll be in any condition to turn it off. Free
isn't worth your life or health.
Save it for a 220V device. Starters aren't expensive, and on ebay even
cheaper. I'm sure some on the list might have some they'll send you just
for shipping.