Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Expanding foam question.

The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal expansion)
expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for the things).
It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so not really a
tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for this
stuff when your old one is solidly blocked. Although I know that there
is more than one diameter for these things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal expansion)
expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for the things).
Â*It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so not really a
tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for this
stuff when your old one is solidly blocked.Â* Although I know that there
is more than one diameter for these things.

No.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal
expansion) expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for
the things). It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so
not really a tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for
this stuff when your old one is solidly blocked. Although I know that
there is more than one diameter for these things.

No.

Okay, didn't think so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
"Dan S. MacAbre" Wrote in message:
The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal expansion)
expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for the things).
It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so not really a
tough job.

Not really no. They will certainly go in and take a screw, but id
expect minimal resistance to coming back out again under any sort
of provocation.

Can you use an adhesive (& weighty items to hold in place as
necessary) & glue the skirting boards on?

In the past, I have done; but from now on, I decided I'd do it so that I
can more easily remove them. In case I need to replace bits of floor,
or get into the void, etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No problem. I'll go all the way through it.

Brian Gaff wrote:
No not really. I recall trying this for some trim in a shed and it was like
screwing into candy floss, unless they have made a better foam by now!
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 April 2018 15:48:52 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal expansion)
expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for the things).
It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so not really a
tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for this
stuff when your old one is solidly blocked. Although I know that there
is more than one diameter for these things.

Plastic drinking straws ! I've just signed a petition against plastic drinking straws.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 6 April 2018 16:20:03 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 6 April 2018 15:48:52 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal expansion)
expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for the things).
It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so not really a
tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for this
stuff when your old one is solidly blocked. Although I know that there
is more than one diameter for these things.

Plastic drinking straws ! I've just signed a petition against plastic drinking straws.

How high do you think they are on the list of the planet's biggest problems?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 6 April 2018 15:48:52 UTC+1, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal expansion)
expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for the things).
It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so not really a
tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for this
stuff when your old one is solidly blocked. Although I know that there
is more than one diameter for these things.

Plastic drinking straws ! I've just signed a petition against plastic drinking straws.

Profuse apologies, then. But we have a boxful from when our lad was
small. It's a good way of doing something useful with them, I think.
And I'm not going to leave them lying around the countryside when I've
finished :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2018 15:48, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal expansion)
expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for the things).
Â*It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so not really a
tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for this
stuff when your old one is solidly blocked.Â* Although I know that there
is more than one diameter for these thin

Is this on a brick wall? Can you not rake out some mortar from the
vertical lines and hammer in wooden wedges to screw to?

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Apr 2018 17:01:54 +0100, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

I had to pass the wires from the door release round the door frame, under
the plaster. Used a plastic drinking straw as micro-trunking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
On 06/04/2018 15:48, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal
expansion) expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for
the things). It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so
not really a tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for
this stuff when your old one is solidly blocked. Although I know that
there is more than one diameter for these thin

Is this on a brick wall? Can you not rake out some mortar from the
vertical lines and hammer in wooden wedges to screw to?

SteveW

Breeze block. There is about an inch of plaster on it, with the usual
gap at the bottom.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2018 15:48, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal expansion)
expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for the things).
Â*It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so not really a
tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for this
stuff when your old one is solidly blocked.Â* Although I know that there
is more than one diameter for these things.

I swear by an old bag of polyfilla or better still Wickes fine
surface filler. It sets rock hard in about a minute, so excellent
for those oversized holes that wont hold the rawlplug in place.

Unlike old gypsum plaster, the Wickes variety can still be shaped
or scraped flat after its initial set but before it is dry. Also
sandable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 06/04/2018 15:48, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal
expansion) expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for
the things). It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so
not really a tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for
this stuff when your old one is solidly blocked. Although I know that
there is more than one diameter for these things.

I swear by an old bag of polyfilla or better still Wickes fine
surface filler. It sets rock hard in about a minute, so excellent
for those oversized holes that wont hold the rawlplug in place.

Unlike old gypsum plaster, the Wickes variety can still be shaped
or scraped flat after its initial set but before it is dry. Also
sandable.

I'll try it next time I need to buy something like that. I need
something that dries more quickly than what I usually have lying around.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 April 2018 19:08:14 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 06/04/2018 16:54, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 6 April 2018 16:20:03 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

Plastic drinking straws ! I've just signed a petition against plastic drinking straws.

How high do you think they are on the list of the planet's biggest problems?

Judging by the way they wash up beaches and are ingested by marine life,
I think they belong in the top 10, along with all forms of plastic waste
(teabags, coffee cups, sandwich cartons, cook-chill food trays).

Ah. I thought the planet's top 10 problems contained things like a billion people in poverty, huge numbers of deaths from diseases, stuff like that. I shall add drinking straws to the list.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
On 06/04/2018 15:48, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal
expansion) expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for
the things). It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so
not really a tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for
this stuff when your old one is solidly blocked. Although I know that
there is more than one diameter for these thin

Is this on a brick wall? Can you not rake out some mortar from the
vertical lines and hammer in wooden wedges to screw to?

SteveW

Breeze block. There is about an inch of plaster on it, with the usual
gap at the bottom.

Longer screws?

Or if you must, glue some 1" thick blocks of wood to the breeze
blocks, then screw into them?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/18 13:16, newshound wrote:
On 08/04/2018 10:50, Richard wrote:
On 08/04/18 03:36, wrote:
On Saturday, 7 April 2018 19:08:14 UTC+1, AndrewÂ* wrote:

If people lived the *natural* way there would not be the quoted
billion people in poverty.

Well quite. At the end of the last ice age the world population was ~ 5
million. Mind you, they were all pretty poor.

Which kinda removes the poverty tag.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/18 03:36, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 7 April 2018 19:08:14 UTC+1, AndrewÂ* wrote:

If people lived the *natural* way there would not be the quoted billion
people in poverty.

Well quite. At the end of the last ice age the world population was ~ 5
million. Mind you, they were all pretty poor.

exactly, 5 million in poverty the rest would be dead.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
On 06/04/2018 15:48, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
The answer is most likely no, but I was wondering if (minimal
expansion) expanding foam will take rawlplugs (my own generic name for
the things). It's only for holding skirting boards to the wall, so
not really a tough job.

I also discovered that drinking straws can be used as a nozzle for
this stuff when your old one is solidly blocked. Although I know that
there is more than one diameter for these thin

Is this on a brick wall? Can you not rake out some mortar from the
vertical lines and hammer in wooden wedges to screw to?

SteveW

Breeze block. There is about an inch of plaster on it, with the usual
gap at the bottom.

Longer screws?

Or if you must, glue some 1" thick blocks of wood to the breeze
blocks, then screw into them?

ATM, I think it's going to be longer screws.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Has been the correct answer all along.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Hayter
wrote:
charles wrote:

In article , Roger Hayter
wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 08/04/18 03:36, wrote:
On Saturday, 7 April 2018 19:08:14 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 06/04/2018 16:54, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 6 April 2018 16:20:03 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

Plastic drinking straws ! I've just signed a petition against
plastic drinking straws.

How high do you think they are on the list of the planet's
biggest problems?

Judging by the way they wash up beaches and are ingested by
marine life, I think they belong in the top 10, along with all
forms of plastic waste (teabags, coffee cups, sandwich cartons,
cook-chill food trays).

Ah. I thought the planet's top 10 problems contained things like
a billion people in poverty, huge numbers of deaths from
diseases, stuff like that.

But thats all *natural* stuff like wot God does. Only Man is
capable of Sin.

Giving the environmentalists full credit for honesty and good
judgment, I wonder if it is justified to do away with plastic straws
because it is relatively cheap and simple to do?

and what do you do then? use plastic coated paper? or real straw?

Re-usable straws. So only those who really need them will bother. People
with wired jaws, for instance.

and small children

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/18 22:48, Roger Hayter wrote:
Richard wrote:

On 08/04/18 14:03, Roger Hayter wrote:
Richard wrote:

On 08/04/18 03:36, wrote:
On Saturday, 7 April 2018 19:08:14 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 06/04/2018 16:54, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 6 April 2018 16:20:03 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:

Plastic drinking straws ! I've just signed a petition against
plastic drinking straws.

How high do you think they are on the list of the planet's
biggest problems?

Judging by the way they wash up beaches and are ingested by marine
life, I think they belong in the top 10, along with all forms of
plastic waste (teabags, coffee cups, sandwich cartons, cook-chill
food trays).

Ah. I thought the planet's top 10 problems contained things like a
billion people in poverty, huge numbers of deaths from diseases,
stuff like that.

The planet has no problems.

But thats all *natural* stuff like wot God does..
Only Man is capable of Sin.

If people lived the *natural* way there would not be the quoted billion
people in poverty.

AFAIK, we have had limited or no success with the supernatural. What's
"natural" in the context?

None of this new fangled life saving stuff like medicine and agriculture.

I was involved in one of those trades, and absolutely everything we did
was perfectly natural.

Oh. So you lived in a cave/outside? No machinery was involved in the
production or transportation?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:

On 08/04/18 03:36, wrote:
[...]

Only normal machinery obeying physical laws; no supernatural machinery.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/18 10:31, Roger Hayter wrote:
charles wrote:

In article , Roger Hayter
wrote:
charles wrote:

On 08/04/18 03:36, wrote:
[...]

Largely superseded by cups with spouts for those who really need them.

Or bottles with nipples

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Hayter
wrote:

[...]