Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Question re `no nails` & expanding foam

I have never used either before so a couple of questions.
No nails: I am fixing some short battens to a ceiling approx 12 inches
long in just one corner of the room, this will be used to screw a 2nd
skin plasterboard (9.5mm) The rest of the room has battens screwed to
the joists. Do I just use the no nails or do I have to fix it (batten)
on until it sets?

Expanding foam: I have a few dents & gaps etc that I want to fill in,
ideally over a period of 2 weeks as the work progresses, must I use the
expanding foam all at once , as in will it set in the nozzle and render
it useless if I try and re use a week down the road?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2015 21:10, ss wrote:
I have never used either before so a couple of questions.
No nails: I am fixing some short battens to a ceiling approx 12 inches
long in just one corner of the room, this will be used to screw a 2nd
skin plasterboard (9.5mm) The rest of the room has battens screwed to
the joists. Do I just use the no nails or do I have to fix it (batten)
on until it sets?

If you use a good grab adhesive and rub the joint it will usually hold,
if not pin it. Once set it will be strong enough.

http://www.toolstation.com/search?se...060981%2077137

Expanding foam: I have a few dents & gaps etc that I want to fill in,
ideally over a period of 2 weeks as the work progresses, must I use the
expanding foam all at once , as in will it set in the nozzle and render
it useless if I try and re use a week down the road?

That depends how involved you want to get. If you just buy a can it
will do what you say & set in the nozzle, you can buy a gun and cleaner
if you want to but the cost, mess , time prolly won't be worth it.

Have a look here;
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Adhe...ng+Foam/sd2857
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2015 21:10, ss wrote:
I have never used either before so a couple of questions.
No nails: I am fixing some short battens to a ceiling approx 12 inches
long in just one corner of the room, this will be used to screw a 2nd
skin plasterboard (9.5mm) The rest of the room has battens screwed to
the joists. Do I just use the no nails or do I have to fix it (batten)
on until it sets?

I have two toel rails with ceramic mount . Thet were originally mounted
on pb walls with screws, the heads cemented in holes in the ceramic
ends. When the en-suite was tiled I smoothed off the back of the ends
and fixed them in the tiles with Sticks Like Sh**t. Each supports a
bath towel and a hand towel without any problems (and has done for 4
years). The contact area on each of the ends is about 4cm sq.

I dont think that you will have any problems!

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/11/2015 21:39, David Lang wrote:
On 25/11/2015 21:10, ss wrote:
[...]

Gun/cleaner one of my better DIY investments. Costs certainly (about £15
for the gun?), but no mess, and hasn't clogged yet after about 10 tins
of foam. I use a plastic scourer and maybe a squirt of cleaner/solvent
before each use, and cleaner between tins.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 21:14:11 UTC, ss wrote:
I have never used either before so a couple of questions.
No nails: I am fixing some short battens to a ceiling approx 12 inches
long in just one corner of the room, this will be used to screw a 2nd
skin plasterboard (9.5mm) The rest of the room has battens screwed to
the joists. Do I just use the no nails or do I have to fix it (batten)
on until it sets?

Expanding foam: I have a few dents & gaps etc that I want to fill in,
ideally over a period of 2 weeks as the work progresses, must I use the
expanding foam all at once , as in will it set in the nozzle and render
it useless if I try and re use a week down the road?

Foam quickly sets solid and that's it, your can's finished. DON'T decide you can make a little hole & use the foam that comes out. Well, do, but have someone video the whole thing.

Expanding foam will of course break anything & everything. It expands after it has set solid, with huge force. It's an awful product best left for when all other options are unworkable.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 21:14:11 UTC, ss wrote:
I have never used either before so a couple of questions.
No nails: I am fixing some short battens to a ceiling approx 12 inches
long in just one corner of the room, this will be used to screw a 2nd
skin plasterboard (9.5mm) The rest of the room has battens screwed to
the joists. Do I just use the no nails or do I have to fix it (batten)
on until it sets?

Expanding foam: I have a few dents & gaps etc that I want to fill in,
ideally over a period of 2 weeks as the work progresses, must I use the
expanding foam all at once , as in will it set in the nozzle and render
it useless if I try and re use a week down the road?

Dents.
Fill in with plaster & let set.
Gaps
As above Pus maybe a bit of scrim (woven tape) to prevent cracking.

Then plaster skim as normal.

Or use polyfilla, takes longer to go off = more time to mess about with it.

Foam is totally unsuitable unless gaps are really big.
If so, fill gap, let set & trim off with bread knife.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

ss wrote:

Expanding foam: I have a few dents & gaps etc that I want to fill in,
ideally over a period of 2 weeks as the work progresses, must I use the
expanding foam all at once , as in will it set in the nozzle and render
it useless if I try and re use a week down the road?

Foam quickly sets solid and that's it, your can's finished. DON'T
decide you can make a little hole & use the foam that comes out. Well,
do, but have someone video the whole thing.

I only tried "can foam" once, and as others have said you pretty well
need to use it all or lose the remnants, "gun foam" is OK to stop/start
over a few weeks, if you leave a can in it for a few months the gun will
likely require stripping down and cleaning out.

Expanding foam will of course break anything & everything. It expands
after it has set solid, with huge force.

You can get low expansion foam, e.g. as an alternative to dot'n'dab
fixing of plasterboards, I've used it for drylining a porch that had
been painted brick - it isn't instant grab so needs propping or leaning
on for a while after the board is offered up.

It's an awful product best
left for when all other options are unworkable.

Not sure if the O/P wanted to use the foam as a filler, or to glue
patches of plasterboard in place? The high expansion foam can be useful
to fill the bulk of a big void before smoothing over with something
else, but I wouldn't go out of my way to use foam ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 26/11/2015 08:32, harry wrote:
Dents.
Fill in with plaster& let set.
Gaps
As above Pus maybe a bit of scrim (woven tape) to prevent cracking.

Then plaster skim as normal.

Or use polyfilla, takes longer to go off = more time to mess about with it.

Foam is totally unsuitable unless gaps are really big.
If so, fill gap, let set& trim off with bread knife.

To answer some questions from previous posts:

The`dents` are a couple of holes in the plasterboard from ripping off
tiles, the state of the plasterboard is generally ok, I planned to fill
the holes with foam then a thin skim with one coat over the complete
partition, I will be retiling it. Partition is 5 x 4 feet.
`Gaps`: where I have taken off a couple of sheets of badly damaged
plasterboard there is a gap about 3 cms wide between the floorboards and
the wooden wall frame (studs) This gap leads to the underfloor ground area.
The reason I earlier asked about using the foam over a period is that I
will proably discover more `damage` as I progress.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 November 2015 09:35:23 UTC, ss wrote:
On 26/11/2015 08:32, harry wrote:
Dents.
Fill in with plaster& let set.
Gaps
As above Pus maybe a bit of scrim (woven tape) to prevent cracking.

Then plaster skim as normal.

Or use polyfilla, takes longer to go off = more time to mess about with it.

Foam is totally unsuitable unless gaps are really big.
If so, fill gap, let set& trim off with bread knife.

To answer some questions from previous posts:

The`dents` are a couple of holes in the plasterboard from ripping off
tiles, the state of the plasterboard is generally ok, I planned to fill
the holes with foam then a thin skim with one coat over the complete
partition, I will be retiling it. Partition is 5 x 4 feet.

Foam would be an awful choice. The topcoat would break up due to inadequate support anyway. Use filler - if you need to really skimp, fill the filler with bits of PB, stones, etc.

`Gaps`: where I have taken off a couple of sheets of badly damaged
plasterboard there is a gap about 3 cms wide between the floorboards and
the wooden wall frame (studs) This gap leads to the underfloor ground area.
The reason I earlier asked about using the foam over a period is that I
will proably discover more `damage` as I progress.

Again foam is the last possible resort. Use wood.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
[...]

I agree with that, from the sound of the OP's description.

Unless the holes go right through the plasterboard and are big, enough
when I'd give it a quick squirt

`Gaps`: where I have taken off a couple of sheets of badly damaged
plasterboard there is a gap about 3 cms wide between the floorboards and
the wooden wall frame (studs) This gap leads to the underfloor ground area.
The reason I earlier asked about using the foam over a period is that I
will proably discover more `damage` as I progress.

Again foam is the last possible resort. Use wood.

If this is just to fill teh gap, stop are movement etc, then I'd
probably use foam, rather than faf about with bits of wood
--
Chris French

expanding foam Fred UK diy 6 August 8th 10 08:42 PM
Expanding Foam ......... silly question ........... jamma-plusser UK diy 14 April 25th 08 09:20 PM
Expanding Foam The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 September 19th 06 12:30 AM
Expanding Foam VisionSet UK diy 3 September 6th 06 09:16 PM
Expanding foam and UV Pecanfan UK diy 12 January 19th 05 10:21 PM