Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Expanding Foam ......... silly question ...........

How do you get dried up expanding foam out of clothes? I've managed to
unknowingly drip some onto my jacket and it's a pig to remove.

Will any chemicals disolve it and leave the fabric (nylon) unharmed?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jamma-plusser wrote:
How do you get dried up expanding foam out of clothes? I've managed to
unknowingly drip some onto my jacket and it's a pig to remove.

Will any chemicals disolve it and leave the fabric (nylon) unharmed?

Thanks

I think you're stuck with it. Nothing shifts it from your skin either
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jamma-plusser" wrote in message
How do you get dried up expanding foam out of clothes? I've managed to
unknowingly drip some onto my jacket and it's a pig to remove.

Will any chemicals disolve it and leave the fabric (nylon) unharmed?

Acetone (or MEK) will disolve is slightly, but they also tend to remove
colour out of things as well, so be careful.

I think the Pollycell web site says the only way to remove solid foam is via
mechanical means....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jamma-plusser wrote:
How do you get dried up expanding foam out of clothes? I've managed to
unknowingly drip some onto my jacket and it's a pig to remove.

Will any chemicals disolve it and leave the fabric (nylon) unharmed?

You can get "foam eater" products that may help. Can't say whether they
will also eat the jacket though!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:21:01 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Thanks all, might try some acetone .............

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks all, might try some acetone .............

I wouldn't bother. It's only a solvent for uncured foam. Once it's gone
off, you've basically had it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-24 17:21:09 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:

Thanks all, might try some acetone .............

I wouldn't bother. It's only a solvent for uncured foam. Once it's gone
off, you've basically had it.

Foam eater does work to an extent. I used some on a concrete area.
It is time consuming and quite a bit is needed with several
applications.

I also tried it on some heavy duty work trousers and while it did
remove the cured foam on the surface, it didn't from the weave. I
doubt if it ever would to any degree of perfection. It's not cost
effective in terms of materials and certainly not in terms of time.

For work type clothes it's a case of chuck them and replace.

If it's an Armani suit then a lesson learned.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-04-24 17:21:09 +0100, Stuart Noble

wrote:

Thanks all, might try some acetone .............

I wouldn't bother. It's only a solvent for uncured foam. Once it's
gone off, you've basically had it.

Foam eater does work to an extent. I used some on a concrete area.
It is time consuming and quite a bit is needed with several applications.

I also tried it on some heavy duty work trousers and while it did remove
the cured foam on the surface, it didn't from the weave. I doubt if it
ever would to any degree of perfection. It's not cost effective in
terms of materials and certainly not in terms of time.

For work type clothes it's a case of chuck them and replace.

If it's an Armani suit then a lesson learned.

I think he said it was a nylon jacket. For all I know they might be
trendy these days
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Thanks all, might try some acetone .............

I wouldn't bother. It's only a solvent for uncured foam. Once it's gone
off, you've basically had it.

Sorry, wrong! I once managed to get some on our hall carpet via the
bottom of my shoe (didn't notice till next day when it had gone off and
expanded into substantial blobs. I thought I was dead meat, but it came
off beautifully using acetone.

Acetone will probably trash the OP's nylon jacket though... try a small
amount on a non-visible area first.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian_m wrote:
"jamma-plusser" wrote in message
How do you get dried up expanding foam out of clothes? I've managed
to unknowingly drip some onto my jacket and it's a pig to remove.

Will any chemicals disolve it and leave the fabric (nylon) unharmed?

Acetone (or MEK) will disolve is slightly, but they also tend to
remove colour out of things as well, so be careful.

I think the Pollycell web site says the only way to remove solid foam
is via mechanical means....

such as an angle grinder :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

All of these foaming PU products are an absolute swine to get out of
clothes including PU woodworking adhesive.

Don't ask how I know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 13:21:12 GMT, Stuart Noble wrote:

Will any chemicals disolve it and leave the fabric (nylon) unharmed?

I think you're stuck with it. Nothing shifts it from your skin either

Try vegetable oil and mechanical removal (agitation, flexing, picking).
Veg oil got the damn stuff off my hands without removing the skin. The
foam had set but was still "fresh" not fully cured. If I ever use
expanding foam again, I'll put some veg oil on my hands first as a release
agent. ISTR that the tin had this information on it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Expanding foam - recommendations John UK diy 9 October 17th 07 09:40 AM
expanding foam HELP Peter UK diy 11 June 24th 07 08:14 PM
Expanding Foam The Medway Handyman UK diy 12 September 19th 06 12:30 AM
Expanding Foam VisionSet UK diy 3 September 6th 06 09:16 PM
Expanding foam and UV Pecanfan UK diy 12 January 19th 05 10:21 PM