Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Foam, foam, foam

All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I've been looking for some PARTICULAR (pre-expanded) foam to line some
"equipment cases". I have several such cases designed for specific
bits of equipment that utilize this foam. So, you'd *think* it should
be available SOMEWHERE???!

The foam is *black*. No, not grey. Also, it's not the sort of foam
you encounter at craft stores (regardless of color). It's more like
styrofoam in its makeup -- less "homogenous" than that craft store
foam.

If you think about styrofoam, it's sort of like little chunks that
are stuck together; you can pull off these little chunks "intact".
By contrast, the craft store foams are almost uniform in texture.

A photo of some "grey" craft store-ish foam alongside the stuff that
I seek:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/xhphf7483wad7mb/Compare_%28Small%29.JPG
Note the differences in texture and color.

To illustrate the differences in "stiffness", a photo of an isolation
transformer (maybe 5 pounds of iron?) on each of these two foams:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/i7qtlbnpdq5tfom/Soft_%28Small%29.JPG
http://www.mediafire.com/view/jfnmr71ivjc4fa7/Hard_%28Small%29.JPG
Note that the craft foam deflects under the load but the "good stuff"
retains its shape.

The black stuff also feels more "rubbery" -- almost as if it was
styrofoam *made* from rubber. But, it's much heavier than styrofoam!
It is also much more flexible than styrofoam (styrofoam *snaps* when
you bend it; this stuff just bends, reluctantly)

The problem I'm having is coming up with search criteria to help
me locate it. "black foam" invariably yields this craft store
stuff -- in different shades of grey/black. But, never the same
texture/consistency of the stuff I seek. "black styrofoam" ends
up yielding stuff that appears to be black styrofoam (not the
same)

I am aware of equipment cases with "craft store foam" cut in various
shapes to accommodate a variety of "gizmos" to be stuffed in the case.
Again, this is not that same sort of homogenous foam.

I'm also very familiar with "antistatic foam" (used for electronic
*components*). That's not the same -- far too homogenous.

I've spoken to local places that sell foam but they seem to be
more interested in foam used in furniture, etc. That's more like
the craft store foam -- though it comes in varying "stiffnesses".

I know the stuff I'm looking for has to be fairly common as I have
several equipment cases that are lined/filled with the stuff, from
different equipment manufacturers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2015 7:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

All kinds of plastics can be foamed. Can't tell from picture what this
is. I'd be googling for plastic foam for end use you seek. It has to
be available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

top post

Not sure exactly what you need ..

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43456,43465

I've seen this sort of stuff in the " Surplus Store " also ..

John T.

On Mon, 02 Nov 2015 17:53:43 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2015 6:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I've been looking for some PARTICULAR (pre-expanded) foam to line some
"equipment cases". I have several such cases designed for specific
bits of equipment that utilize this foam. So, you'd *think* it should
be available SOMEWHERE???!

The foam is *black*. No, not grey. Also, it's not the sort of foam
you encounter at craft stores (regardless of color). It's more like
styrofoam in its makeup -- less "homogenous" than that craft store
foam.

If you think about styrofoam, it's sort of like little chunks that
are stuck together; you can pull off these little chunks "intact".
By contrast, the craft store foams are almost uniform in texture.

I "think" that I know what you're talking about, but then again, maybe
not. I have seen cases custom made for equipment that has a somewhat
flexible mass and is smoother to to the touch - almost as if it has a
second skin over the foam.

Where to get it? Who would know? Why probably the manufacturer's of
custom cases for electronics, etc. DAGS for them, maybe even take a
look at "Platt Cases" and see if they describe the material they use and
then...g

IIRC you are (or were) from the Chicagoland area? A former client of
mine, down in Des Plaines, manufactures custom equipment cases - mostly
for sound systems for entertainers (the Roadies have to have something
to lug around and pack, right?). If you're in the area, respond here
and I'll see if I can dig up their name and contact info for you. Worth
a shot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I've been looking for some PARTICULAR (pre-expanded) foam to line some
"equipment cases". I have several such cases designed for specific
bits of equipment that utilize this foam. So, you'd *think* it should
be available SOMEWHERE???!

The foam is *black*. No, not grey. Also, it's not the sort of foam
you encounter at craft stores (regardless of color). It's more like
styrofoam in its makeup -- less "homogenous" than that craft store
foam.

You are looking for polyethylene foam. check out
http://www.carrycasesplus.com/custom...3BQaAnml8P8HAQ
or
http://canada.foambymail.com/PE2-_1/...ets-2-2lb.html
or for the USA http://www.foambymail.com/
Grainger carries it from "clark foam" part # CFM1001164 or CFM1001166
or 1001094 - and many more depending on thickness/size.

U-Line also carries "pick-and-pack" foam blocks, but they are urethane
foam.
Also check out http://packaging.advancedfoam.com/

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2015 7:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I've been looking for some PARTICULAR (pre-expanded) foam to line some
"equipment cases". I have several such cases designed for specific
bits of equipment that utilize this foam. So, you'd *think* it should
be available SOMEWHERE???!

The foam is *black*. No, not grey. Also, it's not the sort of foam
you encounter at craft stores (regardless of color). It's more like
styrofoam in its makeup -- less "homogenous" than that craft store
foam.

You are looking for polypropylene foam. Usually molded in billets and
sliced to size or custom molded to shape. You won't find it in retail
stores, but you may have some luck with industrial foam packaging houses
that do fabricating.
http://www.epp.com/

A place like this may have what you want.
http://foammart.com/home/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2015 6:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

It looks like this stuff:
http://www.dreamislandinc.com/kkar/?product=rubber-tile

Is this close?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
[...]

Look for a foam *packaging* company

Posted to alt.home.repair

ChairMan wrote:
Don Y wrote:
All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I know the stuff I'm looking for has to be fairly common
as I have
several equipment cases that are lined/filled with the
stuff, from
different equipment manufacturers.

Look for a foam *packaging* company

http://www.guardianpackaging.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I've been looking for some PARTICULAR (pre-expanded) foam to line some
"equipment cases". I have several such cases designed for specific
bits of equipment that utilize this foam. So, you'd *think* it should
be available SOMEWHERE???!

The foam is *black*. No, not grey. Also, it's not the sort of foam
you encounter at craft stores (regardless of color). It's more like
styrofoam in its makeup -- less "homogenous" than that craft store
foam.

If you think about styrofoam, it's sort of like little chunks that
are stuck together; you can pull off these little chunks "intact".

FTR, you're not describing styrofoam. You are describing some newer
product. Styrofoam is a mixture of styrene plastic and air and it's
crushable but prior to crushing it's hard, and the walls (surrounding
the air bubbles) are all one piece, the length and breadth and
thickness. Nothing can be pulled off.

I only mention this to help you describe what you want.

Also, one of the replies you got showed camera cases and said the foam
could be cut with a utility knife. I'm sure that's true if they say
so, for black foam. For foam rubber otoh, it's really hard to cut
with a knife but an electric knife, like for cutting the turkey, works
very well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I've been looking for some PARTICULAR (pre-expanded) foam to line some
"equipment cases". I have several such cases designed for specific
bits of equipment that utilize this foam. So, you'd *think* it should
be available SOMEWHERE???!

The foam is *black*. No, not grey. Also, it's not the sort of foam
you encounter at craft stores (regardless of color). It's more like
styrofoam in its makeup -- less "homogenous" than that craft store
foam.

http://www.pelicancases.com/Pelican-...Sets-C124.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only way I've ever found this stuff is in a discarded packing box. I grab it if I see it in a dumpster.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2015 4:52 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Don Y wrote:
All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I've been looking for some PARTICULAR (pre-expanded) foam to line some
"equipment cases". I have several such cases designed for specific
bits of equipment that utilize this foam. So, you'd *think* it should
be available SOMEWHERE???!

The foam is *black*. No, not grey. Also, it's not the sort of foam
you encounter at craft stores (regardless of color). It's more like
styrofoam in its makeup -- less "homogenous" than that craft store
foam.

http://www.pelicancases.com/Pelican-...Sets-C124.aspx

No, these are the craft store sort of foam. Anything with the
"egg carton" style is definitely wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, this is what I refered to with:
I am aware of equipment cases with "craft store foam" cut in various
shapes to accommodate a variety of "gizmos" to be stuffed in the case.
Again, this is not that same sort of homogenous foam.
If you examine the photos (and, the product itself), you'll see that
these are all far more homogenous, "light weight" than the black stuff in
my photos. (i.e., they are more like the *grey* stuff).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2015 8:00 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/2/2015 7:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I've been looking for some PARTICULAR (pre-expanded) foam to line some
"equipment cases". I have several such cases designed for specific
bits of equipment that utilize this foam. So, you'd *think* it should
be available SOMEWHERE???!

The foam is *black*. No, not grey. Also, it's not the sort of foam
you encounter at craft stores (regardless of color). It's more like
styrofoam in its makeup -- less "homogenous" than that craft store
foam.

You are looking for polypropylene foam. Usually molded in billets and sliced to
size or custom molded to shape. You won't find it in retail stores, but you
may have some luck with industrial foam packaging houses that do fabricating.
http://www.epp.com/

A place like this may have what you want.
http://foammart.com/home/

Nope. Again, that's more homogenous than the black stuff.

There are all sorts of foams ranging from soft and springy to stiff and
"plastic". But, every one is a uniform texture throughout, doesn't
have the rubbery feel, flexible, "styrofoam looking", etc.

Trust me, I've done a *lot* of looking -- in stores, google images,
etc. It's frustrating to have so many examples of it in my
personal possession and *not* be able to find even a *name* for the
stuff!

I've debated contacting the manufacturers of the various pieces of
kit that I have that are packaged in these cases but suspect, at
*best*, I'll get passed along to someone who tells me "We purchase
the cases" and probably not highly motivated to tell me who they
purchase them *from*.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2015 6:57 PM, wrote:

top post

Not sure exactly what you need ..

Hence my problem! :

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43456,43465

I've seen this sort of stuff in the " Surplus Store " also ..

No, that's a uniform texture. If you had a piece in your
hands, it would feel slick and plasticky -- and shiney.
It's relatively tough -- like an overcooked piece of
steak. But, cuts clean with a sharp knife. It's also
relatively light.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
The only way I've ever found this stuff is in a discarded packing
box. I grab it if I see it in a dumpster.

Thats why i told you to find a foam packaging company like the one I posted

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Did you check the "clark" foam?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y formulated on Wednesday :
Don Y wrote:
All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I've been looking for some PARTICULAR (pre-expanded) foam to line some
"equipment cases". I have several such cases designed for specific
bits of equipment that utilize this foam. So, you'd *think* it should
be available SOMEWHERE???!

The foam is *black*. No, not grey. Also, it's not the sort of foam
you encounter at craft stores (regardless of color). It's more like
styrofoam in its makeup -- less "homogenous" than that craft store
foam.

http://www.pelicancases.com/Pelican-...Sets-C124.aspx

No, these are the craft store sort of foam. Anything with the
"egg carton" style is definitely wrong.

I have refrained from commenting because I live in AUS. I use a lot of
this foam which we buy from MetroFoam in Sydney. I know thats not much
use to you but it might lead you to what you want.Search for Closedcell
foam.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...LafhmAX-tICgBg

http://tinyurl.com/pe9rzo4

This one gets you a US company.
http://www.foambymail.com/closed-cell-foams.html

--
John G Sydney.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2015 1:09 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

The name is polypro, molded, not extruded. BASF and a few others make
such a product. As I said, it is an industrial foam that you wont find
in retail stores.

BTW. that styrofoam looking stuff isn't. Styrofoam is the trademarked
name of an extruded eps foam and what you are looking for is a molded
foam with a bead structure similar to expanded polystyrene foam.

But what do I know, I've only been in the molded foam business for 45
years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/3/2015 1:09 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

+2
packaging like you said the first time

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2015 8:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/3/2015 1:09 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

It looks like this stuff to me:
http://www.dreamislandinc.com/kkar/?product=rubber-tile

Is this close?

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2015 6:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
[...]

I've seen that as well -- one of my DLP's has a case like that.

But, this *looks* more like styrofoam: large "blobs" packed together instead
of the "homogenous" foam that you encounter in those SOFT "egg carton" styled
sheets. If you opened a container of cottage cheese, the visual appearance
would be similar ("chunks") -- though black instead of white.

Where to get it? Who would know? Why probably the manufacturer's of custom
cases for electronics, etc. DAGS for them, maybe even take a look at "Platt
Cases" and see if they describe the material they use and then...g

Most equipment cases seem to use the more "homogenous" foam. Granted, you
can purchase it in various "hardnesses" (firmness?) but it's still an
entirely different substance.

IIRC you are (or were) from the Chicagoland area? A former client of mine,
down in Des Plaines, manufactures custom equipment cases - mostly for sound
systems for entertainers (the Roadies have to have something to lug around and
pack, right?). If you're in the area, respond here and I'll see if I can dig
up their name and contact info for you. Worth a shot.

No longer in Chitown but the cost of a long distance phone call isn't
an impediment! Most of the road boxes I've seen were *carpeted*
internally with little wooden dividers that were adjusted to better
fit the kit within. Things like microphones were in "brief cases"
lined with the softer foam (the stuff I'm looking for would have been
unnecessarily hard/firm for that sort of thing).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/2/2015 9:49 PM, Muggles wrote:
On 11/2/2015 6:53 PM, Don Y wrote:

I know the stuff I'm looking for has to be fairly common as I have
several equipment cases that are lined/filled with the stuff, from
different equipment manufacturers.

It looks like this stuff:
http://www.dreamislandinc.com/kkar/?product=rubber-tile

Is this close?

The stuff I have looks like it was "virgin" material. I.e., the
"blobs" that you can see are more "formed" -- the photo you referenced
looks like the stuff has been chopped up and glued back together
as "scraps".

I should see if I can "contrast enhance" my photos to see if that
would bring out more detail. Black-on-black is a tough photo to
shoot!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2015 9:53 PM, Don Y wrote:

The stuff I have looks like it was "virgin" material. I.e., the
"blobs" that you can see are more "formed" -- the photo you referenced
looks like the stuff has been chopped up and glued back together
as "scraps".

I should see if I can "contrast enhance" my photos to see if that
would bring out more detail. Black-on-black is a tough photo to
shoot!

What you have is BASF Neopolen Those blobs are beads. I don't know who
molds any in sheets but it if sometimes made in billets so samples can
be had cut for testing.

Trivia: If you pull one bead out of the center it will have the form of
a dodecahedron. Sides may not be equal, but they are there,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2015 10:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/8/2015 9:53 PM, Don Y wrote:

What you have is BASF Neopolen Those blobs are beads. I don't know who
molds any in sheets but it if sometimes made in billets so samples can
be had cut for testing.

Trivia: If you pull one bead out of the center it will have the form of
a dodecahedron. Sides may not be equal, but they are there,

Found this
http://www.matweb.com/search/datashe... 6a617&ckck=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/3/2015 7:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/3/2015 1:09 PM, Don Y wrote:

[...]

This is what I found for polypropylene foam at BASF:

http://www.plasticsportal.net/wa/plasticsEU~ru_RU/portal/show/content/products/foams/neopolen_p_e

The description doesn't sound promising.

I gave them a call last week and described the foam that I have.
They, apparently, have a database (expert system?) that lets
them make a best guess as to the material based on a variety
of descriptive criteria that I provided (including names of
customers that I know to be using it).

Haven't heard back from them (but, I've been preoccupied with other
issues and haven't made it a priority). In hindsight, I should
have just offered to mail them a sample and see if they could
sort it out from the touchy-feely approach. :

Hopefully, I'll have some time later this week to followup.
I've also calls in to some colleagues who may have contacts with
some of the folks currently using it ("horse's mouth")

BTW. that styrofoam looking stuff isn't. Styrofoam is the trademarked name of
an extruded eps foam and what you are looking for is a molded foam with a bead
structure similar to expanded polystyrene foam.

But what do I know, I've only been in the molded foam business for 45 years.

I long ago learned that there is ALWAYS something new to be learned!
If not, you've got a boring job! :
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2015 8:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/8/2015 9:53 PM, Don Y wrote:

The stuff I have looks like it was "virgin" material. I.e., the
"blobs" that you can see are more "formed" -- the photo you referenced
looks like the stuff has been chopped up and glued back together
as "scraps".

I should see if I can "contrast enhance" my photos to see if that
would bring out more detail. Black-on-black is a tough photo to
shoot!

What you have is BASF Neopolen Those blobs are beads. I don't know who molds
any in sheets but it if sometimes made in billets so samples can be had cut for
testing.

The cases that I have are constructed using sheets of different thicknesses
that are cut to appropriate contours and glued together to form an
assembly. Some "sheets" being less than half an inch (1cm?) while
others are 2 or 3 inches thick. The appearances of the sheets (other
than their thicknesses) doesn't change. (i.e., if bead size CAN vary,
it hasn't)

I contacted BASF last week and suggested this to them. A sample should
be forthcoming. I don't think it is what I have, though. And, if the
bead size can be varied, then it will be harder to decide if, in fact,
the sample I receive is the same as the material I have. It's also
unclear if any "post processing" may have been done to the foam by
the folks who created the "packages" (and, if there are any changes
over time as these are easily 10 years old)

In hindsight, I should have offered to just send *them* a sample
and let them decide what sort of sample to send *back* to me by way of
confirmation. 20-20 hindsight. Depending on how the conversation unfolds
going forward, I may suggest that option.

Trivia: If you pull one bead out of the center it will have the form of a
dodecahedron. Sides may not be equal, but they are there,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don Y wrote:
All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I've been looking for some PARTICULAR (pre-expanded) foam to line some
"equipment cases". I have several such cases designed for specific
bits of equipment that utilize this foam. So, you'd *think* it should
be available SOMEWHERE???!

The foam is *black*. No, not grey. Also, it's not the sort of foam
you encounter at craft stores (regardless of color). It's more like
styrofoam in its makeup -- less "homogenous" than that craft store
foam.

http://www.pelicancases.com/Pelican-...Sets-C124.aspx

No, these are the craft store sort of foam. Anything with the "egg
carton" style is definitely wrong.

I have refrained from commenting because I live in AUS.

Ah, so your toilets flush *backwards*! :

I use a lot of this foam which we buy from MetroFoam in Sydney. I know thats
not much use to you but it might lead you to what you want.Search for
Closedcell foam.

This one gets you a US company.
http://www.foambymail.com/closed-cell-foams.html

I see the two (three?) main distinctive characteristics as:
- the large "beads" that comprise the visible structure,
- the rubbery feel,
- and the color (black instead of grey, beige, green, etc.)

With my luck, I will discover that the stuff has been discontinued
due to some environmental issue or, worse, "lack of demand"!! :-/

PU foam gun - big plus [email protected] UK diy 17 February 10th 12 12:52 PM
Foam - 2 pound blue foam on Holmes on Homes george [dicegeorge] UK diy 10 December 28th 09 06:26 PM
Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 04:15 AM
Foam - where to buy? mo UK diy 8 September 30th 05 10:31 AM
Do it yourself foam? Pat Keith Home Repair 4 September 2nd 03 11:43 AM