Posted to alt.home.repair
Muggles Muggles is offline

Default Foam, foam, foam

On 11/3/2015 8:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/3/2015 1:09 PM, Don Y wrote:

You are looking for polypropylene foam. Usually molded in billets and
sliced to
size or custom molded to shape. You won't find it in retail stores,
but you
may have some luck with industrial foam packaging houses that do
fabricating.
http://www.epp.com/

A place like this may have what you want.
http://foammart.com/home/

Nope. Again, that's more homogenous than the black stuff.

There are all sorts of foams ranging from soft and springy to stiff and
"plastic". But, every one is a uniform texture throughout, doesn't
have the rubbery feel, flexible, "styrofoam looking", etc.

Trust me, I've done a *lot* of looking -- in stores, google images,
etc. It's frustrating to have so many examples of it in my
personal possession and *not* be able to find even a *name* for the
stuff!

The name is polypro, molded, not extruded. BASF and a few others make
such a product. As I said, it is an industrial foam that you wont find
in retail stores.

BTW. that styrofoam looking stuff isn't. Styrofoam is the trademarked
name of an extruded eps foam and what you are looking for is a molded
foam with a bead structure similar to expanded polystyrene foam.

But what do I know, I've only been in the molded foam business for 45
years.

It looks like this stuff to me:
http://www.dreamislandinc.com/kkar/?product=rubber-tile

Is this close?