Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Foam, foam, foam

All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I've been looking for some PARTICULAR (pre-expanded) foam to line some
"equipment cases". I have several such cases designed for specific
bits of equipment that utilize this foam. So, you'd *think* it should
be available SOMEWHERE???!

The foam is *black*. No, not grey. Also, it's not the sort of foam
you encounter at craft stores (regardless of color). It's more like
styrofoam in its makeup -- less "homogenous" than that craft store
foam.

If you think about styrofoam, it's sort of like little chunks that
are stuck together; you can pull off these little chunks "intact".
By contrast, the craft store foams are almost uniform in texture.

A photo of some "grey" craft store-ish foam alongside the stuff that
I seek:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/xhphf7483wad7mb/Compare_%28Small%29.JPG
Note the differences in texture and color.

To illustrate the differences in "stiffness", a photo of an isolation
transformer (maybe 5 pounds of iron?) on each of these two foams:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/i7qtlbnpdq5tfom/Soft_%28Small%29.JPG
http://www.mediafire.com/view/jfnmr71ivjc4fa7/Hard_%28Small%29.JPG
Note that the craft foam deflects under the load but the "good stuff"
retains its shape.

The black stuff also feels more "rubbery" -- almost as if it was
styrofoam *made* from rubber. But, it's much heavier than styrofoam!
It is also much more flexible than styrofoam (styrofoam *snaps* when
you bend it; this stuff just bends, reluctantly)

The problem I'm having is coming up with search criteria to help
me locate it. "black foam" invariably yields this craft store
stuff -- in different shades of grey/black. But, never the same
texture/consistency of the stuff I seek. "black styrofoam" ends
up yielding stuff that appears to be black styrofoam (not the
same)

I am aware of equipment cases with "craft store foam" cut in various
shapes to accommodate a variety of "gizmos" to be stuffed in the case.
Again, this is not that same sort of homogenous foam.

I'm also very familiar with "antistatic foam" (used for electronic
*components*). That's not the same -- far too homogenous.

I've spoken to local places that sell foam but they seem to be
more interested in foam used in furniture, etc. That's more like
the craft store foam -- though it comes in varying "stiffnesses".

I know the stuff I'm looking for has to be fairly common as I have
several equipment cases that are lined/filled with the stuff, from
different equipment manufacturers.

PU foam gun - big plus [email protected] UK diy 17 February 10th 12 12:52 PM
Foam - 2 pound blue foam on Holmes on Homes george [dicegeorge] UK diy 10 December 28th 09 06:26 PM
Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 04:15 AM
Foam - where to buy? mo UK diy 8 September 30th 05 10:31 AM
Do it yourself foam? Pat Keith Home Repair 4 September 2nd 03 11:43 AM