Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default Foam, foam, foam

On 11/2/2015 6:53 PM, Don Y wrote:
All this talk about (expanding) foam...

I've been looking for some PARTICULAR (pre-expanded) foam to line some
"equipment cases". I have several such cases designed for specific
bits of equipment that utilize this foam. So, you'd *think* it should
be available SOMEWHERE???!

The foam is *black*. No, not grey. Also, it's not the sort of foam
you encounter at craft stores (regardless of color). It's more like
styrofoam in its makeup -- less "homogenous" than that craft store
foam.

If you think about styrofoam, it's sort of like little chunks that
are stuck together; you can pull off these little chunks "intact".
By contrast, the craft store foams are almost uniform in texture.

I "think" that I know what you're talking about, but then again, maybe
not. I have seen cases custom made for equipment that has a somewhat
flexible mass and is smoother to to the touch - almost as if it has a
second skin over the foam.

Where to get it? Who would know? Why probably the manufacturer's of
custom cases for electronics, etc. DAGS for them, maybe even take a
look at "Platt Cases" and see if they describe the material they use and
then...g

IIRC you are (or were) from the Chicagoland area? A former client of
mine, down in Des Plaines, manufactures custom equipment cases - mostly
for sound systems for entertainers (the Roadies have to have something
to lug around and pack, right?). If you're in the area, respond here
and I'll see if I can dig up their name and contact info for you. Worth
a shot.