Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default flexi hose

Used flexi connectors for kitchen taps about 5 years ago. Yesterday hot side split and flooded kitchen. Seems they're no better than a shower hose then?Mind boggles as to what might have happened if we had been away. Obviously now I won't go anywhere without turning off the stopcock.
Obvious question. Are there higher rated versions able to withstand hot water? Should they be used at all?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
stuart noble writes
Used flexi connectors for kitchen taps about 5 years ago. Yesterday hot
side split and flooded kitchen. Seems they're no better than a shower
hose then?Mind boggles as to what might have happened if we had been
away. Obviously now I won't go anywhere without turning off the stopcock.
Obvious question. Are there higher rated versions able to withstand hot
water? Should they be used at all?

They do seem ubiquitous:-(

This is rather concerning as I am about to fit a dozen or so on a
pressurised system.

Is there much of a choice on quality? SF/TS or reputable plumbing
outlet?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 09:46, stuart noble wrote:
Used flexi connectors for kitchen taps about 5 years ago. Yesterday hot side split and flooded kitchen. Seems they're no better than a shower hose then?Mind boggles as to what might have happened if we had been away. Obviously now I won't go anywhere without turning off the stopcock.
Obvious question. Are there higher rated versions able to withstand hot water? Should they be used at all?

Its important to not damage them on installation - so not kinking or
twisting the flexi bit too much.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 27/03/2018 11:41, John Rumm wrote:
On 27/03/2018 09:46, stuart noble wrote:
Used flexi connectors for kitchen taps about 5 years ago. Yesterday
hot side split and flooded kitchen. Seems they're no better than a
shower hose then?Mind boggles as to what might have happened if we had
been away. Obviously now I won't go anywhere without turning off the
stopcock.
Obvious question. Are there higher rated versions able to withstand
hot water? Should they be used at all?

Its important to not damage them on installation - so not kinking or
twisting the flexi bit too much.

Looking at the JG Speedfit spec, max temp is 65C. I'm not quite sure
what temp our hot water is, but it must be close to 65C. Anyway, I'm not
surprised that it was the OP's hot water side that split rather than cold.

You could try these:

https://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/produc...lexible-hoses/

They are designed for central heating systems, so ought to survive hot
water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Used flexi connectors for kitchen taps about 5 years ago. Yesterday
hot side split and flooded kitchen. Seems they're no better than a
shower hose then?Mind boggles as to what might have happened if we
had been away. Obviously now I won't go anywhere without turning off
the stopcock.
Obvious question. Are there higher rated versions able to withstand
hot water? Should they be used at all?

New kitchen fitted pushing 10 years ago.
After 4 years a hose split under the sink and made a right mess. We are
insured for leaks - not my idea. Out comes plumber and replaced both hoses.
Both were kinked, other one was not far off splitting.
Bloody kitchen fitters!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 27/03/2018 16:22, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Used flexi connectors for kitchen taps about 5 years ago. Yesterday
hot side split and flooded kitchen. Seems they're no better than a
shower hose then?Mind boggles as to what might have happened if we
had been away. Obviously now I won't go anywhere without turning off
the stopcock.
Obvious question. Are there higher rated versions able to withstand
hot water? Should they be used at all?

New kitchen fitted pushing 10 years ago.
After 4 years a hose split under the sink and made a right mess. We are
insured for leaks - not my idea. Out comes plumber and replaced both hoses.
Both were kinked, other one was not far off splitting.
Bloody kitchen fitters!

In Turkey they use flexi hoses, I dont know about quality but people
that owned property replaced them every 3 years as a matter of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2018 13:08, GB wrote:
On 27/03/2018 11:41, John Rumm wrote:

Looking at the JG Speedfit spec, max temp is 65C. I'm not quite sure
what temp our hot water is, but it must be close to 65C. Anyway, I'm not
surprised that it was the OP's hot water side that split rather than cold.

They specify 65C for flexi connectors with plastic ends (pushfit or
nuts) and 85C for some of their flexi connectors with metal nuts on the
ends.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes £63 but for a pair. Toolstation a fraction of that price. Get what you pay for? Who knows?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Used flexi connectors for kitchen taps about 5 years ago. Yesterday
hot side split and flooded kitchen. Seems they're no better than a
shower hose then?Mind boggles as to what might have happened if we
had been away. Obviously now I won't go anywhere without turning off
the stopcock.
Obvious question. Are there higher rated versions able to withstand
hot water? Should they be used at all?

New kitchen fitted pushing 10 years ago.
After 4 years a hose split under the sink and made a right mess. We
are insured for leaks - not my idea. Out comes plumber and replaced
both hoses. Both were kinked, other one was not far off splitting.
Bloody kitchen fitters!

In Turkey they use flexi hoses, I dont know about quality but people
that owned property replaced them every 3 years as a matter of course.

I have very big hands that just will not reach behind the kitchen sink. I
tried it.
I understand that flexi hoses are feeding the bath taps, fitted by a
respected
heating engineer. I'm not inclined to take the bath panel out to replace the
hoses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had the same thing happen on a bath hot water feed after 4 years use. 1st floor flat, made a mess.
I now replace them at the first signs of discoloration and get them from Wickes because their website says they are WRAS approved (although this is not stamped on the product or printed on the packaging - so I have my doubts) rather than from Screwfix because they are not WRAS approved.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 8:16:30 AM UTC+1, Rednadnerb wrote:
I had the same thing happen on a bath hot water feed after 4 years use. 1st floor flat, made a mess.
I now replace them at the first signs of discoloration and get them from Wickes because their website says they are WRAS approved (although this is not stamped on the product or printed on the packaging - so I have my doubts) rather than from Screwfix because they are not WRAS approved.

Even the named brands that are WRAS approved are similar in price to SF etc..

I wonder about John Rumm's comment re twisting and kinking. As this was a d-i-y job, always tricky under a sink, that could have been a factor. Well, now it's a g-s-i job as hands and knees working is out for me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 10:04:09 AM UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:
On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 8:16:30 AM UTC+1, Rednadnerb wrote:
I had the same thing happen on a bath hot water feed after 4 years use. 1st floor flat, made a mess.
I now replace them at the first signs of discoloration and get them from Wickes because their website says they are WRAS approved (although this is not stamped on the product or printed on the packaging - so I have my doubts) rather than from Screwfix because they are not WRAS approved.

Even the named brands that are WRAS approved are similar in price to SF etc.

I wonder about John Rumm's comment re twisting and kinking. As this was a d-i-y job, always tricky under a sink, that could have been a factor. Well, now it's a g-s-i job as hands and knees working is out for me.

There was no twisting or kinking but I did suspect a leak around the bath mixer, not enough to drip onto the floor but the braiding was rusted through in places.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, March 28, 2018 at 10:41:10 AM UTC+1, Rednadnerb wrote:
[...]

Oh, you mean the stainless steel braid! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

China's finest!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rednadnerb writes:
I had the same thing happen on a bath hot water feed after 4 years use. 1st=
floor flat, made a mess.
I now replace them at the first signs of discoloration and get them from Wi=
ckes because their website says they are WRAS approved (although this is no=
t stamped on the product or printed on the packaging - so I have my doubts)=
rather than from Screwfix because they are not WRAS approved.

I think the WRAS approval relates to not growing a microbio
film on the inside of the hose which can harbour legionella,
and not so much about longevity or leaking.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2018 19:23, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Rednadnerb writes:
I had the same thing happen on a bath hot water feed after 4 years use. 1st=
floor flat, made a mess.
I now replace them at the first signs of discoloration and get them from Wi=
ckes because their website says they are WRAS approved (although this is no=
t stamped on the product or printed on the packaging - so I have my doubts)=
rather than from Screwfix because they are not WRAS approved.

I think the WRAS approval relates to not growing a microbio
film on the inside of the hose which can harbour legionella,
and not so much about longevity or leaking.

https://www.wras.co.uk/downloads/pub..._jan_2011.pdf/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rednadnerb writes:
I had the same thing happen on a bath hot water feed after 4 years use.. 1st=
floor flat, made a mess.
I now replace them at the first signs of discoloration and get them from Wi=
ckes because their website says they are WRAS approved (although this is no=
t stamped on the product or printed on the packaging - so I have my doubts)=
rather than from Screwfix because they are not WRAS approved.

I think the WRAS approval relates to not growing a microbio
film on the inside of the hose which can harbour legionella,
and not so much about longevity or leaking.

https://www.wras.co.uk/downloads/pub..._jan_2011.pdf/

At SF I can't pay over a fiver for a 300mm hose, so I guess branded and unbranded are all pretty much the same, and presumably all stainless.....? The failure on mine I have to put down to kinking. I did the taps, then pushed the unit back to the wall, during the course of which it's conceivable the edpm got twisted. Bad move in retrospect
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/03/2018 12:33, stuart noble wrote:

At SF I can't pay over a fiver for a 300mm hose, so I guess branded and unbranded are all pretty much the same, and presumably all stainless.....? The failure on mine I have to put down to kinking. I did the taps, then pushed the unit back to the wall, during the course of which it's conceivable the edpm got twisted. Bad move in retrospect

There is also possibility if the tap and fixed pipe are not in line and
you use a flexi that is just long enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 27, 2018 at 11:19:00 AM UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:

stuart noble
Used flexi connectors for kitchen taps about 5 years ago. Yesterday hot
side split and flooded kitchen. Seems they're no better than a shower
hose then?Mind boggles as to what might have happened if we had been
away. Obviously now I won't go anywhere without turning off the stopcock..
Obvious question. Are there higher rated versions able to withstand hot
water? Should they be used at all?

They do seem ubiquitous:-(

This is rather concerning as I am about to fit a dozen or so on a
pressurised system.

Is there much of a choice on quality? SF/TS or reputable plumbing
outlet?

--
Tim Lamb

Selco's April special offer: 300mm Flexitap connectors with isolating valve.. £1.99 + vat.