Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Attaching a fence/screen to the top of a wall with stone"battlements" on it!

I've been asked to make some kind of screen to hide an unsightly bit of roof in next door's yard. These photos show where it needs to go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/genlnxo5z5...50.44.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3xunsa3rd5...50.29.jpg?dl=0

I've suggested what is effectively a fence with vertical slats, close together, about 80cm long (tall) made of Tanalised decking boards and that's been accepted.

The length of the fence will be about 3.25M. It'll have horizontal cross pieces at the top and bottom between the posts to which the decking panels will be attached.

I'd be interested in opinions on how to attach the posts to that wall. We want it entirely separate from the structure that's already there on the other side of the wall and the surface of the decking boards needs to be not too far back from the surface of the wall on this side.

I'm thinking resin fixings?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Murmansk wrote:

I've been asked to make some kind of screen to hide an unsightly bit of roof in next door's yard.

Offer to clad the back of the neighbour's lean-to in shiplap?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2018 18:54, Murmansk wrote:
[...]

High high is that horrible structure? That close to the boundary it will
need PP if above 3m.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Murmansk Wrote in message:
[...]

Sounds heavy?
Fixings into the cream rendered part? What's that made of & how well?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Murmansk wrote:

I've been asked to make some kind of screen to hide an unsightly bit of roof in next door's yard.

Offer to clad the back of the neighbour's lean-to in shiplap?

+1

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/01/2018 19:09, jim wrote:
Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Murmansk wrote:

I've been asked to make some kind of screen to hide an unsightly bit of roof in next door's yard.

Offer to clad the back of the neighbour's lean-to in shiplap?

+1

+2

If you attach a fence to you wall neighbour loses light so might as wee
try and attach to his lean to which will look better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The aim is for the fence to be the same height as the neighbour's structure, so he won't lose light.

Neighbour doesn't want us to attach anything to his structure.

I need to see if the total height once fence has been added is 3 metres - thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2018 19:56, Murmansk wrote:
The aim is for the fence to be the same height as the neighbour's structure, so he won't lose light.

Neighbour doesn't want us to attach anything to his structure.

I need to see if the total height once fence has been added is 3 metres - thanks

Point out that properly fitted shiplap will provide weatherproofing and
make his structure last longer. You can also clad the underside of the
"roof" the same way, and finish up with a facia board to make it look
nice from your side. Screw the boards in place: quicker than nailing,
and you won't be putting any impact load into his structure. Only
slightly more expensive for screws.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 29/01/2018 20:03, newshound wrote:
The aim is for the fence to be the same height as the neighbour's
structure, so he won't lose light.

I am sure he will still lose light being only a couple of feet away from
your wall, how high is his structure?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 January 2018 18:54:51 UTC, Murmansk wrote:
[...]

FWIW the top is the weakest part of a wall to fix to.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think I'll probably end up going for trellis attached to posts fixed to the face of the wall, with some artificial climbing plants.

This will be lighter, will attach to the stronger part of the wall and will let the wind pass through
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/01/2018 09:59, Murmansk wrote:
I think I'll probably end up going for trellis attached to posts fixed to the face of the wall, with some artificial climbing plants.

This will be lighter, will attach to the stronger part of the wall and will let the wind pass through

To look right, I think the trellis should probably start at ground
level. That's obviously a personal matter of taste, but I'd discuss it
with the property owner. (Or is that you?)

Not sure about artificial plants. If you use decent supports running the
full height of the wall and fixed to it all the way up, I don't see the
weight of Honeysuckle, say, as being a problem. Not ivy, though!

The trellis should possibly be detachable, so the wall can be painted
occasionally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Murmansk wrote:
I think I'll probably end up going for trellis attached to posts fixed to the face of the wall, with some artificial climbing plants.

This will be lighter, will attach to the stronger part of the wall and will let the wind pass through

Yup. Mate had new fences put up a couple of years ago (about 2 metre
high). Expensive job with brick sleeper walls and brick pillars between
the wood panels. Looked very good indeed.

One side got blown down in the wind a few months ago, so they re-built
using steel reinforcement to the brick pillars. Other side got blown down
recently.

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.