Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Attaching ceramic tile to stone wall

It Has Been Decreed that we need a new house number on the drive. She
bought three ceramic tiles each about 3"x2", each displaying one of the
three digits of our number.

Now, the wall to which these are intended to be attached is a drystone
retaining wall on the pavement, so not exactly ideal. How best to do
this? I think it would look least ridiculous if the tiles were attached
directly to the front of a single stone, rather than mounting on a plate
or something. There's a reasonable candidate stone, which is fairly
flat-faced but rough, and currently covered in lichen etc.

I'm thinking pressure-wash followed by some form of adhesive but what?
Waterproof tile adhesive? Car body filler? They'll need to be damned
well attached because as well as weather constraints, we're on the route
for kids ambling home from school, for whom the obvious addition of a
bright shiny number at pavement level will present an instant challenge.

Or shall I just advise SWMBO to buy a pot of white paint? (Hint - no)

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
[...]

Strong cement mortar or fast setting cement based floor tile adhesive.

Use a bit of wood to stop it falling off while it goes off.

Thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 1, 12:58 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Lobster wrote:
[...]

hopefully won't last too long once the frost gets at em from
behind... ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster ) wibbled on Tuesday 01 February 2011
12:49:

[...]

Pinkgrip would almost certainly work with a fairly rapid grab.

Plastic padding/Isopon/everything similar is pretty much guaranteed as long
as the receiving stone is clean and the surface not too powdery - though
you'll have to hold them in place somehow while it sets (10 mins for Plastic
Padding, fast version).

Tile adhesive (cement based) of course, but not tub mix internal wall grade.

I'd go for the first option for speed because I have some, then the second
option because, although more fiddly it is easy to buy and bombproof - you
will damage the rock removing them.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher ) wibbled on Tuesday 01 February
2011 12:58:

Lobster wrote:
[...]

I was thinking of suggesting that too. I'd paint a small patch of cement
slurry on the rock too to aid bonding with the mortar option.

Use a bit of wood to stop it falling off while it goes off.

Ditto for PP/Isopon.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 12:49:12 +0000
Lobster wrote:

[...]

Angle Grinder.

You use it to make the stone dead flat first. The use PinkGrip.

Personally I think it will look so naff, she'll want it removed next
week. Then you use the Angle Grinder....

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 12:49:12 +0000, Lobster wrote:

I'm thinking pressure-wash followed by some form of adhesive but what?

Stixall/Sticks Like Sh*t, or 1 part PU.

--
John Stumbles

No Rules OK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow ) wibbled on Tuesday 01 February
2011 19:22:

Personally I think it will look so naff, she'll want it removed next
week. Then you use the Angle Grinder....

R.

Now's the chance to throw them away and do something funky, eg:

Paint the number on the wall in theatrical UV paint, then install a dirty
great big blacklight tube over them

Or remove the rock, mill out the number into the surface, fill with resin so
it is invisible but run some fiber optics into it and illuminate with a
hidden LED bank, laser or something else stupid but cool.

Or just install a laser to scan your house number onto the wall.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 1, 12:49*pm, Lobster wrote:
[...]

to childproof, recess so the result is flush

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

[...]

Exactly my sentiments

Personally I think it will look so naff, she'll want it removed next
week. Then you use the Angle Grinder....

WD-40 makes a good releasing agent. In fact it does all things for all
men. After all, it's designed specifically for just that purpose.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 19:53:06 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

TheOldFellow ) wibbled on Tuesday 01 February
2011 19:22:

Personally I think it will look so naff, she'll want it removed next
week. Then you use the Angle Grinder....

R.

Now's the chance to throw them away and do something funky, eg:

Paint the number on the wall in theatrical UV paint, then install a dirty
great big blacklight tube over them

Or remove the rock, mill out the number into the surface, fill with resin so
it is invisible but run some fiber optics into it and illuminate with a
hidden LED bank, laser or something else stupid but cool.

Or just install a laser to scan your house number onto the wall.

Why bother at all? Even though you legally have to display your house
number (or name) loads of people don't bother - usually when they have
their half-decent wooden front door replaced with a uPVC or sometimes
a similar "metal" thing. They even occasionally omit a letterbox...

--
Frank Erskine