Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine Frank Erskine is offline

Default Attaching ceramic tile to stone wall

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011 19:22:06 +0000, TheOldFellow
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 12:49:12 +0000
Lobster wrote:

It Has Been Decreed that we need a new house number on the drive.
She bought three ceramic tiles each about 3"x2", each displaying one
of the three digits of our number.

Now, the wall to which these are intended to be attached is a
drystone retaining wall on the pavement, so not exactly ideal. How
best to do this? I think it would look least ridiculous if the tiles
were attached directly to the front of a single stone, rather than
mounting on a plate or something. There's a reasonable candidate
stone, which is fairly flat-faced but rough, and currently covered in
lichen etc.

I'm thinking pressure-wash followed by some form of adhesive but
what? Waterproof tile adhesive? Car body filler? They'll need to be
damned well attached because as well as weather constraints, we're on
the route for kids ambling home from school, for whom the obvious
addition of a bright shiny number at pavement level will present an
instant challenge.

Or shall I just advise SWMBO to buy a pot of white paint? (Hint - no)

Thanks
David

Angle Grinder.

You use it to make the stone dead flat first. The use PinkGrip.

Exactly my sentiments

Personally I think it will look so naff, she'll want it removed next
week. Then you use the Angle Grinder....

WD-40 makes a good releasing agent. In fact it does all things for all
men. After all, it's designed specifically for just that purpose.

--
Frank Erskine