Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Attaching a folding shower screen to a wall.

I had a folding shower screen delivered yesterday. I have to admit that
at 20 Kilos, it is a bit heavier than I was expecting. Looking at the
three screws (about 1-1/4" long) provided, I'm rather worried that when
it gets extended to its full length of 1 mtr, it's just going to pull
the screws out of the wall, and come crashing down.

I was wondering if anyone here had fitted one of these things? Anyone
actually had one come off a wall?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
I had a folding shower screen delivered yesterday. I have to admit that
at 20 Kilos, it is a bit heavier than I was expecting. Looking at the
three screws (about 1-1/4" long) provided, I'm rather worried that when
it gets extended to its full length of 1 mtr, it's just going to pull
the screws out of the wall, and come crashing down.

The big risk is if someone slips in the shower and grabs the screen.

With half-inch plaster depth you are only going to have half an inch of screw in the wall.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2014 11:37, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
wrote:
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
I had a folding shower screen delivered yesterday. I have to admit that
at 20 Kilos, it is a bit heavier than I was expecting. Looking at the
three screws (about 1-1/4" long) provided, I'm rather worried that when
it gets extended to its full length of 1 mtr, it's just going to pull
the screws out of the wall, and come crashing down.

The big risk is if someone slips in the shower and grabs the screen.

With half-inch plaster depth you are only going to have half an inch
of screw in the wall.

Owain

Quite. I'm imagining all kinds of things happening. At the moment, I'm
considering attaching some rectangular aluminium section to the wall,
and having it go through the ceiling, and fixed to one of the joists in
the loft. And bolt it to that. I can't imagine I'd be really confident
with anything less.

Certainly no good for fitting into plasterboard. But, if you have a stud
in the right place, much longer screws going into that should be OK.
Three doesn't really sound enough to me, though. If you have a block or
brick wall then long enough screws with good fixings should be fine. If
the wall is "dodgy" you could consider studs fitted into injected
plastic filler.

The aluminium section idea should work, although it is a bit more cost
and effort. I assume you have good access from above? You would still
need to attach the aluminium section to the wall at the bottom.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
[...]

It's a block wall, in good condition. I guess much of the problem is
that I'm not too happy about my own drilling-hole-in-block-wall skills.
Quite often I hit something hard (like little stones in the blocks), or
hit the edge of a block and go into the mortar, and end up with an oval
hole that doesn't hold the plug as much as I'd like. It's not always too
much of a problem, but with something this heavy, that sticks out so
much, and in the location that it is, everything is going to have to be
perfect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2014 10:48, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
I had a folding shower screen delivered yesterday. I have to admit that
at 20 Kilos, it is a bit heavier than I was expecting. Looking at the
three screws (about 1-1/4" long) provided, I'm rather worried that when
it gets extended to its full length of 1 mtr, it's just going to pull
the screws out of the wall, and come crashing down.

I was wondering if anyone here had fitted one of these things? Anyone
actually had one come off a wall?

Is this one that sits on the edge of the bath & has an aluminum channel
fixed to the wall ?

If so, no great problem as the bath takes most of the weight.

Buy a new bottom seal now, while you can remember who the supplier is,
they don't last very long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 04/04/2014 10:48, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
I had a folding shower screen delivered yesterday. I have to admit that
at 20 Kilos, it is a bit heavier than I was expecting. Looking at the
three screws (about 1-1/4" long) provided, I'm rather worried that when
it gets extended to its full length of 1 mtr, it's just going to pull
the screws out of the wall, and come crashing down.

I was wondering if anyone here had fitted one of these things? Anyone
actually had one come off a wall?

Is this one that sits on the edge of the bath & has an aluminum channel
fixed to the wall ?

Something like that, yes, but I wasn't aware that the bath was supposed
to take any of the weight. I'd have thought that would crush the seal.

If so, no great problem as the bath takes most of the weight.

Buy a new bottom seal now, while you can remember who the supplier is,
they don't last very long.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Etaoin Shrdlu" wrote in message
. uk...
wrote:
Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
[...]

I have block walls myself and use dynabolts for the stuff
with a high load on it and have never had one pull out.

I only use screws and plastic plugs for lighter stuff like
electrical plug strips etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2014 18:06, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 04/04/2014 10:48, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
I had a folding shower screen delivered yesterday. I have to admit that
at 20 Kilos, it is a bit heavier than I was expecting. Looking at the
three screws (about 1-1/4" long) provided, I'm rather worried that when
it gets extended to its full length of 1 mtr, it's just going to pull
the screws out of the wall, and come crashing down.

I was wondering if anyone here had fitted one of these things? Anyone
actually had one come off a wall?

Is this one that sits on the edge of the bath & has an aluminum channel
fixed to the wall ?

Something like that, yes, but I wasn't aware that the bath was supposed
to take any of the weight. I'd have thought that would crush the seal.

It has to compress the seal or it will leak.

Folding shower screen danw UK diy 4 March 29th 09 05:13 PM
folding screen Mike UK diy 4 February 10th 07 07:34 PM
Folding shower screen or curtain and pole? SilverDales UK diy 14 November 24th 05 10:52 AM
INSPIRATION - Folding Wall Bed J T Woodworking 2 September 12th 05 08:00 PM
Need help identifying wall type and suggestion of fixings to hang glass shower screen from it. Peter UK diy 2 September 1st 05 02:20 PM