Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default attaching wooden fence posts to a nice stone topped wall

have a say 1m fence to construct atop a nice old curved low stone
built garden wall, gtopped with some nice old large bits of flattish
stone (think wall that had railings ontop before they were cut off for
the war).
The wall is also sloped so the fence will be hand built to suit - i.e.
not panels

Standard ways of attaching fence posts to masonry/concrete are pretty
foul bolt down jobbies that look naff and don;t last long IMHO. Also
drilling 4 holes is asking for bother on capping stones, and I expect
they won't cope with the slope well and will look even more naff...

So looking for a neat way of attaching wooden posts to sloping coping
stones...??

Sure I;ve seen some post "shoes" with a length (12"?) of rebar
attached vertically underneath presumably to concrete in - can't find
em now- was thinkinig I could drill the stones (and better down into
the wall) for the rebar and then use resin to anchor them in?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 March 2013 17:21:57 UTC+1, Jim K wrote:
[...]

mmm OK then

found the things I was on about but they are designed for deck posts with vertical loads and I'm worried they will not put up with much stress when holding a 3ft (say) fence atop a wall in the wind. I think the febce will have to be a "hit and miss" job with staggered pales each side to allow some wind through..

SO
plan B:-
M12 Threaded stainless rod - post bottoms drilled to take 150mm of this and 200mm protruding, attached with? resin? expanding foam? gorilla glue?

then wall drilled vertically and 200mm section anchored in with resin?

Anyone see anything about this one?

I could maybe beef up the interface between wall and post (against bending by wind or scrotes) by threading a 36mm long M12 bar connector on to the stud (counter boring the post and wall by 18mm each)

Any thoughts anyone?

cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
[...]

I must admit I'd be very wary of adding a fence to the top of a wall.
Structurally they are working in very different ways and I wouldn't have
thought that it would take much wind load to risk damaging the wall. This
might account for the lack of replies to your question.

Some pictures would be a big help. Personally, I'd put posts in behind the
wall supporting the fence over the wall.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

nal-september.org, Tim+ writes
Jim K wrote:
[...]

M12 doesn't take much to bend and I doubt the bar connector would add
much strength.

Some pictures would be a big help. Personally, I'd put posts in behind the
wall supporting the fence over the wall.

Me too. 75mm square and well fixed to the side of the wall.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
[...]

mmm. I envisage there not being much of a gap between the post and the
wall copings so the posts wouldn't be "hanging" on an exposed inch of
M12 say..

I imagined the connector would be resined into the wall top and base
of post and so not solely exposed to any bending forces

Maybe a test is called for.

Me too. 75mm square and well fixed to the side of the wall.

er to the wall?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 13:10, Tim+ wrote:
I must admit I'd be very wary of adding a fence to the top of a wall.
Structurally they are working in very different ways and I wouldn't have
thought that it would take much wind load to risk damaging the wall. This
might account for the lack of replies to your question.

This happened near me. The 3ft brick wall came down in one piece off its
raised plinth and fell onto the pavement. Luckily there was no-one
underneath.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 8:42 pm, Andy Champ wrote:
On 12/03/2013 13:10, Tim+ wrote:

I must admit I'd be very wary of adding a fence to the top of a wall.
Structurally they are working in very different ways and I wouldn't have
thought that it would take much wind load to risk damaging the wall. This
might account for the lack of replies to your question.

This happened near me. The 3ft brick wall came down in one piece off its
raised plinth and fell onto the pavement. Luckily there was no-one
underneath.

Andy

can I guess the posts were attached to the wall tops with bolt down
met post things?

how high was the fence and what construction? panels, hit & miss ??

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 13:10, Tim+ wrote:

I must admit I'd be very wary of adding a fence to the top of a wall.
Structurally they are working in very different ways and I wouldn't have
thought that it would take much wind load to risk damaging the wall. This
might account for the lack of replies to your question.

This happened near me. The 3ft brick wall came down in one piece off its
raised plinth and fell onto the pavement. Luckily there was no-one
underneath.

Andy

can I guess the posts were attached to the wall tops with bolt down
met post things?

how high was the fence and what construction? panels, hit & miss ??

Cheers
Jim K

I would just forget the whole idea of fixing a fence to the wall. Railing
on top of a wall are fine as they put relatively little wind load on but a
fence, even a "hit and miss" design is a veritable sail.

Of course without pictures, dimensions or construction details of your wall
we're all guessing really.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 13:10, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

As I didn't build it there are construction details as such -
However as you ask it's approx 1m tall built of coursed stone, approx
12 inch total wall width, thick stone copings as described in the OP.

I have no pictures - what is it you would need to see?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Jim K writes
On 12/03/2013 13:10, Tim+ wrote:

[...]

Unlikely in what you describe, but a dpc is a weak point in a straight
wall.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
, Ji
K writes

As I didn't build it there are construction details as such -
However as you ask it's approx 1m tall built of coursed stone, approx
12 inch total wall width, thick stone copings as described in the OP.

I have no pictures - what is it you would need to see?

Unlikely in what you describe, but a dpc is a weak point in a straight wall.

Surely a garden wall isn't going to have a DPC?

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/03/2013 13:10, Tim+ wrote:

I must admit I'd be very wary of adding a fence to the top of a wall.
Structurally they are working in very different ways and I wouldn't have
thought that it would take much wind load to risk damaging the wall. This
might account for the lack of replies to your question.

This happened near me. The 3ft brick wall came down in one piece off its
raised plinth and fell onto the pavement. Luckily there was no-one
underneath.

Andy

can I guess the posts were attached to the wall tops with bolt down
met post things?

how high was the fence and what construction? panels, hit & miss ??

Fence and wall both about 3ft (the original wall was just low enough to
see over, and see the bowling club). I don't recall how it was fixed on,
and can't find a reference to any news story. They've put a 6ft wall up
now and it has been fine.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 13, 9:11 am, Tim+
wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
, Ji
K writes

As I didn't build it there are construction details as such -
However as you ask it's approx 1m tall built of coursed stone, approx
12 inch total wall width, thick stone copings as described in the OP.

I have no pictures - what is it you would need to see?

Unlikely in what you describe, but a dpc is a weak point in a straight wall.

Surely a garden wall isn't going to have a DPC?

Tim

& no movement joints either ;) it's old - late victorian I'd guess.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

rnal-september.org, Tim+ writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
, Ji
K writes

As I didn't build it there are construction details as such -
However as you ask it's approx 1m tall built of coursed stone, approx
12 inch total wall width, thick stone copings as described in the OP.

I have no pictures - what is it you would need to see?

Unlikely in what you describe, but a dpc is a weak point in a straight wall.

Surely a garden wall isn't going to have a DPC?

There was one at a house some friends were buying. Shutting the garden
gate caused a length of brick wall to wobble:-)

--
Tim Lamb