Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default attaching wooden fence posts to a nice stone topped wall

On Sunday, 10 March 2013 17:21:57 UTC+1, Jim K wrote:
have a say 1m fence to construct atop a nice old curved low stone

built garden wall, gtopped with some nice old large bits of flattish

stone (think wall that had railings ontop before they were cut off for

the war).

The wall is also sloped so the fence will be hand built to suit - i.e.

not panels

Standard ways of attaching fence posts to masonry/concrete are pretty

foul bolt down jobbies that look naff and don;t last long IMHO. Also

drilling 4 holes is asking for bother on capping stones, and I expect

they won't cope with the slope well and will look even more naff...

So looking for a neat way of attaching wooden posts to sloping coping

stones...??

Sure I;ve seen some post "shoes" with a length (12"?) of rebar

attached vertically underneath presumably to concrete in - can't find

em now- was thinkinig I could drill the stones (and better down into

the wall) for the rebar and then use resin to anchor them in?

Any thoughts?

mmm OK then

found the things I was on about but they are designed for deck posts with vertical loads and I'm worried they will not put up with much stress when holding a 3ft (say) fence atop a wall in the wind. I think the febce will have to be a "hit and miss" job with staggered pales each side to allow some wind through..

SO
plan B:-
M12 Threaded stainless rod - post bottoms drilled to take 150mm of this and 200mm protruding, attached with? resin? expanding foam? gorilla glue?

then wall drilled vertically and 200mm section anchored in with resin?

Anyone see anything about this one?

I could maybe beef up the interface between wall and post (against bending by wind or scrotes) by threading a 36mm long M12 bar connector on to the stud (counter boring the post and wall by 18mm each)

Any thoughts anyone?

cheers
Jim K