Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Hot glue guns... Recommendations please..

after a glue gun, quick look on Amazon -3000 results....

I see there are different powers - 10w 20w 60w 100w, presumably
different sizes of sticks, different adhesives, yada yada
yada.....

Primarily the need has arisen for my sons homework, but I'd
appreciate some informed guidance on what to go for just in case
the cheapest is not necessarily the best option & limits other
applications/adhesives etc..

TIA

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2018 17:44, jim wrote:

after a glue gun, quick look on Amazon -3000 results....

I see there are different powers - 10w 20w 60w 100w, presumably
different sizes of sticks, different adhesives, yada yada
yada.....

Primarily the need has arisen for my sons homework, but I'd
appreciate some informed guidance on what to go for just in case
the cheapest is not necessarily the best option & limits other
applications/adhesives etc..

TIA

I don't like them, especially for children. The glue is very hot and
sticks to the skin so the burns are severe.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2018 17:44, jim wrote:

after a glue gun, quick look on Amazon -3000 results....

I see there are different powers - 10w 20w 60w 100w, presumably
different sizes of sticks, different adhesives, yada yada
yada.....

They are all much of a muchness unless you get a really bad one and they
take generic EVA thermoplastic sticks of glue. I have one but unless I
want a heavy duty fixing I tend to use solvent based clear bostik. YMMV

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene-vinyl_acetate

Primarily the need has arisen for my sons homework, but I'd
appreciate some informed guidance on what to go for just in case
the cheapest is not necessarily the best option & limits other
applications/adhesives etc..

A 10W one will do - Locktite is probably as good as any but drips a bit
of hot melt glue from time to time. Perhaps all the cheaper ones do.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 29/01/2018 17:44, jim wrote:

after a glue gun, quick look on Amazon -3000 results....

I see there are different powers - 10w 20w 60w 100w, presumably
different sizes of sticks, different adhesives, yada yada
yada.....

Primarily the need has arisen for my sons homework, but I'd
appreciate some informed guidance on what to go for just in case
the cheapest is not necessarily the best option & limits other
applications/adhesives etc..

TIA

I don't like them, especially for children. The glue is very hot and
sticks to the skin so the burns are severe.

you're not supposed to glue things to the children.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 29, 2018 at 6:13:47 PM UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 29/01/2018 17:44, jim wrote:

[...]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PKP-1...words=glue+gun get one with a long nozzle like the one in the link

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 29/01/2018 17:44, jim wrote:

[...]

Why?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2018 17:44, jim wrote:

[...]

it is easier to get the glue to where you want it to go.
The last repair I did with the glue gun was to a trials bike chain guard. The only bit of red plastic I could find was half the thickness I would have ideally used, so I folded it over. I then had to shape it and then to strengthen it I used the glue gun, with the nozzle I could get the glue in where I wanted it.
Half an hour later I found some plastic, thicker and a better colour match.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:44:26 +0000 (GMT+00:00), jim k wrote:

after a glue gun, quick look on Amazon -3000 results....

I see there are different powers - 10w 20w 60w 100w, presumably
different sizes of sticks, different adhesives, yada yada
yada.....

Primarily the need has arisen for my sons homework, but I'd
appreciate some informed guidance on what to go for just in case
the cheapest is not necessarily the best option & limits other
applications/adhesives etc..

I went for one of these as they generally seemed 'highly recommended'.

https://www.tooled-up.com/steinel-gl...n/prod/134729/

(- 5.25% Top Cashback I think)

A range of nozzles are also available.

I think I got mine as part of a kit (so a range of glue sticks etc).

I have used it quite a bit and it has worked as required / expected.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:44:26 +0000, jim wrote:

after a glue gun, quick look on Amazon -3000 results....

I see there are different powers - 10w 20w 60w 100w, presumably
different sizes of sticks, different adhesives, yada yada yada.....

Primarily the need has arisen for my sons homework, but I'd
appreciate some informed guidance on what to go for just in case the
cheapest is not necessarily the best option & limits other
applications/adhesives etc..

I have a scarily flimsy mains one that I am not keen on using.

I have just bought a Bosch 'Glue Pen', which is a small lightweight one.
Uses 7mm sticks, cordless with a lithium battery. Charges via USB
(charger included).

Used it in anger for the first time today, and it worked well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2018 22:00, T i m wrote:

I went for one of these as they generally seemed 'highly recommended'.

https://www.tooled-up.com/steinel-gl...n/prod/134729/

Looks identical to my Aldi/lidl gun which cost around £5

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 02:37:12 +0000, alan_m wrote:

On 29/01/2018 22:00, T i m wrote:

I went for one of these as they generally seemed 'highly recommended'.

https://www.tooled-up.com/steinel-gl...melt-glue-gun/

prod/134729/

Looks identical to my Aldi/lidl gun which cost around £5

It looks similar to my Marksman Tools gun which I suspect may have been
an Aldi/Liddle purchase a few years ago (but possibly purchased from
another emporium).

This one has a very peculiar power consumption characteristic which
seems to be common to all hot glue guns. I've also got a very small "Bond
iT" 110 to 240v 10W gun, tucked away in a drawer unused for lack of the
5mm dia glue sticks it takes. This swiftly ramps up to just over 100W in
the first second of being plugged in (actually bangs into the end stop on
the 100v by 1A scale of my analogue wattmeter) before more leisurely
dropping back to 20 watts or so after 10 or 15 seconds, presumably
settling down to its 10W idling state if given another minute or so. I
think this tiny glue gun was purchased in a 99 pence shop about ten years
ago.

The Marksman gun takes 11mm dia gluesticks and I've just spotted its
rating label which states ac 230v 50Hz FL-158 b 40W. Presumably the FL-158
b is the model number and the 40W must be its active consumption.

According to my watt meter, it takes an initial peak power of some 350W
[1] before throttling back to 100W a few seconds later, eventually
settling down to 35W after about a minute or so of warming up.

The specification data shown on that page you linked to is rather
interesting in that it neatly describes this rather peculiar behaviour of
power consumption which would be rather tricky to to verify with an
ordinary plug in digital energy consumption monitor (aka, digital watt
meter), it needs a genuinely analogue wattmeter to verify this behaviour
and those, as I learnt just a few short years ago, are basically as rare
as Rocking Horse **** or hen's teeth[2].

[1] It hadn't fully cooled down from my initial test when I'd grossly
underestimated what the peak demand was likely to be and chosen the 200v
by 1A setting for the first test. I'm waiting for it to more fully cool
down before repeating the test on the 500W scale. Whilst I'm waiting,
I'll write note [2]... Well, it peaked to 65 on the scale which works out
to a 325W peak on the 100v by 5A settings. It wasn't quite stone cold but
I rather doubt it would have peaked beyond the 350W mark even if had been.

I guess the "PTC" mentioned in the "Features & Benfits section on that
web page is the key to this very common behaviour of hot glue guns
(presumably a reference to "Positive Temperature Coefficient").

[2] I had a very strong inkling that the Metrawatt analogue watt meter I
had been eyeing up at a radio ham rally some 30 odd years ago was quite
likely my one and only chance of getting hold of such a test instrument
at an affordable price. Even so, for the time, the 35 quid asking price
seemed a rather high one for a 2nd hand test meter but, as I surmised, it
was well worth a punt to get my hands on what I knew to be a rarity in
test meters - I just didn't appreciate exactly how rare a piece of test
kit it actually was until I researched the availability and pricing of
such test gear many years later via the internet (about 6 to 7 years ago
now).

Contrary to my expectations, it has proven to be a remarkably useful
test tool in troubleshooting desktop computer faults, completely removing
the guesswork out of diagnosing the primary cause of boot failure issues
(dead PSU or MoBo?) as well as answering questions in regard of what a
piece of kit actually consumes compared to what's claimed on its rating
plate. It's also proved how dire the very first affordable plug in
digital 'watt meters' actually were as well as confirming the much better
accuracy of the more recent models of plug in energy consumption meters
from the Kill-A-Watt class period onwards.

You can take it from me that those 10 to 20 quid plug in energy
consumption monitors sold by Maplin can be trusted to be within a tenth
of a watt accuracy for typical wallwart powered kit and within +/- 3% for
heavier loads in the 100 to 3000 watt range. No need to thank me for this
useful piece of information but if you do, you're welcome. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 January 2018 18:04:24 UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
On 29/01/2018 17:44, jim wrote:

after a glue gun, quick look on Amazon -3000 results....

I see there are different powers - 10w 20w 60w 100w, presumably
different sizes of sticks, different adhesives, yada yada
yada.....

Primarily the need has arisen for my sons homework, but I'd
appreciate some informed guidance on what to go for just in case
the cheapest is not necessarily the best option & limits other
applications/adhesives etc..

TIA

I don't like them, especially for children. The glue is very hot and
sticks to the skin so the burns are severe.

We use them here for our students, I do get a certain amoutn of pleaseure when they burn themselves I ask them why they think it's called a hot melt glue gun.
I alays warn them, same as when I give them scalples I always tell them not to get blood on my benches and floor. I even show them where the plasters are so they don't have to ask.

we have 2 of these
https://www.rapidonline.com/anvil-av...w-240v-87-0402

Nothing special but they've survived 2 years of student abuse so far.

last week they were used to stick magnets/coils to coffee cups to construct a simple speaker.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:44:26 +0000 (GMT+00:00), jim k wrote:

Primarily the need has arisen for my sons homework, but I'd
appreciate some informed guidance on what to go for just in case
the cheapest is not necessarily the best option & limits other
applications/adhesives etc..

I have a "cheapest option" glue gun. It will cook and brown the glue if left on
for more that 10 minutes or so. Also, it's more prone to glue dribbling out. I
think it may have been an Aldi/Lidl special, or a Poundland. It is not much
better than just heating a glue stick with a lighter (which can be very useful
in a pinch, mind).

My branded (forget which -- Pattex?) one has better temperature control. It
dribbles less, and has a feed mechanism rather than just a thumb pressing in a
glue stick. It cost a bit more, but still not much, under 15 EUR. Spend the
money.

Burns from hot melt glue are nasty, as the glue sticks to the skin while cooking
it. And the really cheap ones may let a big gob of glue squirt out the feed end.
Do look at "low melt" or "cool melt" glue guns, they may suit with less risk.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jim k wrote:

after a glue gun, quick look on Amazon -3000 results....

I see there are different powers - 10w 20w 60w 100w, presumably
different sizes of sticks, different adhesives, yada yada
yada.....

I got a Stanley GR25 dual-melt gun - it has high and low settings for
high or low temperature glue sticks. Heat control is good, it only
dribbles a bit when it's left standing, but the little fold-out stand
doesn't stop it falling over on the bench. I previously had a single
temperature Wickes-branded one that was nothing special but worked OK
and at least managed to stand up, after a few years the feed mechanism
broke. I fixed it once but a different bit broke so I decided to invest
in a new one (ISTR the GR25 cost all of £8 including delivery).

Primarily the need has arisen for my sons homework, but I'd
appreciate some informed guidance on what to go for just in case
the cheapest is not necessarily the best option & limits other
applications/adhesives etc..

When it comes to cost, buy bulk glue sticks from the likes of
Tool Station or eBay - some of the small retail packs are silly
expensive.

Guns Kill (Especially Caulking Guns) [email protected] Home Repair 3 April 6th 16 07:34 AM
Advancements in Hot Melt Glue Guns? John Gilmer Home Repair 7 June 24th 07 12:13 PM
Them hot glue guns The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 24 November 15th 06 10:35 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
If Guns Were Outlawed, Only Bad Dogs Would Have Guns Joe Metalworking 0 September 9th 04 07:50 PM