Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Hot glue guns... Recommendations please..

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 17:44:26 +0000 (GMT+00:00), jim k wrote:

Primarily the need has arisen for my sons homework, but I'd
appreciate some informed guidance on what to go for just in case
the cheapest is not necessarily the best option & limits other
applications/adhesives etc..

I have a "cheapest option" glue gun. It will cook and brown the glue if left on
for more that 10 minutes or so. Also, it's more prone to glue dribbling out. I
think it may have been an Aldi/Lidl special, or a Poundland. It is not much
better than just heating a glue stick with a lighter (which can be very useful
in a pinch, mind).

My branded (forget which -- Pattex?) one has better temperature control. It
dribbles less, and has a feed mechanism rather than just a thumb pressing in a
glue stick. It cost a bit more, but still not much, under 15 EUR. Spend the
money.

Burns from hot melt glue are nasty, as the glue sticks to the skin while cooking
it. And the really cheap ones may let a big gob of glue squirt out the feed end.
Do look at "low melt" or "cool melt" glue guns, they may suit with less risk.

Thomas Prufer