Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Global warming.

In message , Clive Arthur
writes
On 20/01/2018 17:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
Smart meters will be able to identify electric cars and charge the
missing fuel duty, VAT and climate change levy (from the coal-
fired powerstation) to your leccy bill. Ha Ha

No they won't.

Hmm.. something might. Assuming full wave rectification, the battery
will only draw current when the supply voltage exceeds that of the
battery. I doubt it would take much electronics to spot that.

That could work with a very old-fashioned car battery charger, but an
EV charger will be a sophisticated switch-mode unit with power factor
correction.

I'm a very long way out of touch Clive and my maths have always been
suspect. However, my assumption is, for a domestic single phase supply,
there will be a number of milliseconds where the voltage is insufficient
to provide a charge.

Now you can store energy in a capacitor or an inductor but these would
need to be high capacity in view of the charge current needed.

I doubt much of this current draw is going to be sinusoidal so probably
identifiable with respect to conventional domestic loads.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

[...]

And how could it possibly differentiate between an electric vehicle used on
the public road, and one used (for instance) at a private golf links or an
electric off road farm vehicle, fork lift etc ... it couldn't

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 January 2018 17:46:46 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
harry writes
On Saturday, 20 January 2018 12:44:29 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 18/01/2018 16:22, harry wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...t-El-Nino.html
I 'spect there's still some nitwits here who still don't believe it.

Smart meters will be able to identify electric cars and charge the
missing fuel duty, VAT and climate change levy (from the coal-
fired powerstation) to your leccy bill. Ha Ha

No they won't.

Hmm.. something might. Assuming full wave rectification, the battery
will only draw current when the supply voltage exceeds that of the
battery. I doubt it would take much electronics to spot that.

The battery is 330 volts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew Mawson
wrote:
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

[...]

and how do you differentiate between the users of petrol? I object to
paying road use tax on fuel for the lawn mower.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Handsome Jack wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" posted
In article ,
Handsome Jack wrote:
I doubt if anybody has said it is *solely* due to immigration, just that
that is one of the main causes. Personally I don't see how you can let
the population increase by several millions without creating a shortage
of dwellings, unless you build far more than we have done. Is that
really a lie?

We seems happy enough to build new transport services to cope with the
demand from an increased population. Why should housing etc be any
different?

That argument can be made, but it presupposes that immigration is indeed
one of the causes of the housing shortage, rather than this being a
"lie" as Roger said.

In the context, the lie was about the relative lack of social housing.
Combined with the prevention of further council house building the right
to buy transferred property from social housing to the unregulated
private rental sector. In most parts of the country it meant that young
families had to pay three times as much rent with no security of tenure,
and you had to have social problems to get social housing. That is a
separate issue to the overall lack of housing. (Whether immigration
caused a lack of housing, or ameliorated it by increasing economic
growth and financing house building is a separate issue again.)

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

No:-)
Maybe they would have access to DVLA records? Now I am being silly.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 09:13:21 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

Its irrelevant as leaving the EU only affects the migrants from the EU
and the immigrants will be staying here.
Lievers tend not to know the difference between immigrants and migrants
as shown by their mistaken belief that immigrants will be sent home.

The important thing is that immigrants who are surplus to requirements
*can* then be sent home. A vast improvement over the current/prior
situation whereby we are legally obliged to take as many as want to come,
in their hundreds of thousands and millions, whether we have jobs or
homes for them or not. Only an incorrigible 'remoaning minnie' like
yourself would have a problem with this pragmatic, common sense approach.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2018 21:13, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 09:13:21 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

Its irrelevant as leaving the EU only affects the migrants from the
EU and the immigrants will be staying here. Lievers tend not to
know the difference between immigrants and migrants as shown by
their mistaken belief that immigrants will be sent home.

The important thing is that immigrants who are surplus to
requirements *can* then be sent home.

Wrong.
An immigrant has been granted the right to live here.
They have been approved by the UK government and they are unlikely to
change that status and send the home.

But thanks for demonstrating what I said.

A vast improvement over the current/prior situation whereby we are
legally obliged to take as many as want to come, in their hundreds of
thousands and millions, whether we have jobs or homes for them or
not. Only an incorrigible 'remoaning minnie' like yourself would have
a problem with this pragmatic, common sense approach.

No difference at all when you actually work out the truth.
Not that you will.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Cursitor Doom wrote:
The important thing is that immigrants who are surplus to requirements
*can* then be sent home. A vast improvement over the current/prior
situation whereby we are legally obliged to take as many as want to come,
in their hundreds of thousands and millions, whether we have jobs or
homes for them or not. Only an incorrigible 'remoaning minnie' like
yourself would have a problem with this pragmatic, common sense approach.

Why would immigrants want to come here from the EU if there wasn't work
for them and they couldn't find somewhere to live?

Unless you have been reading The Express again. Where all immigrants get
immediate welfare and housing from the state. Although even they changed
their tune to immigrants taking jobs from UK born.

--
*Home cooking. Where many a man thinks his wife is.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 23:01:02 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

[snip ignorant bigotry]

In your tiny mind only, I suspect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/01/2018 22:43, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 23:01:02 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

[snip ignorant bigotry]

Nothing I said was bigotry.
You must be reading your own post.

In your tiny mind only, I suspect.

You just don't know the difference between immigrants and migrants.
A hint..

the EU ones are migrants they don't need to immigrate to be in the UK.

The majority of "foreigners" are immigrants which the UK government
allows in and they can't send the back as they have been given the right
of residency. That is what immigration is about.

Then there are refugees which are neither of the above.