Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Kitchen sink mixer tap drips - can it be fixed?

HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic valves?

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

Anybody been there & done that, successfully?

Photo of what looks to be the same beast here -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reginox-Elb.../dp/B005MI3DVS

I notice that the Amazon item carries a 15-year guarantee - "(excluding
working and serviceable parts, abuse or neglect)" - we have pumped
well-water supply - so it's quite possible that some grit as found its
way into the valve...

Thanks, Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Adrian Brentnall Wrote in message:
HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic valves?

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

WD40 & luck! Strap wrench? Or find spares & get the mole grips
out. Put new ones on with coppaslip on threads.
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/17 22:24, jim wrote:
Adrian Brentnall Wrote in message:
HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic valves?

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

WD40 & luck! Strap wrench? Or find spares & get the mole grips
out. Put new ones on with coppaslip on threads.

Might be of use:
https://www.tapsandsinksonline.co.uk...hen-tap-valve/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Richard Wrote in message:
On 27/12/17 22:24, jim wrote:
Adrian Brentnall Wrote in message:
HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic valves?

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

WD40 & luck! Strap wrench? Or find spares & get the mole grips
out. Put new ones on with coppaslip on threads.

Might be of use:
https://www.tapsandsinksonline.co.uk...hen-tap-valve/

Might be.

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2017 21:48, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic
valves?

Yup pretty likely...

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

Take off the H/C cap - should unscrew. Then remove the screw and the
lever should come off. The conical trims ought not be done up that tight
- you may find you can undo by hand or with a "gripper" glove. If you
need to use grips (water pump pliers etc), then shims of leather or a
short length of rubber hose (plumbers merchant - they sell it for
connections to manometers and gas pressure meters) make good grippy
protectors.

Anybody been there & done that, successfully?

You may find just unscrewing the valve, and pulling the disks out f the
end of it (you normally need to prise off a retaining C clip on the
shaft), will let you clean them - often that is enough if they are still
nice and smooth. A descale, and re-lube with silicone grease can also help.

I notice that the Amazon item carries a 15-year guarantee - "(excluding
working and serviceable parts, abuse or neglect)" - we have pumped
well-water supply - so it's quite possible that some grit as found its
way into the valve...

Yup, they don't like grit... I fitted a good quality new mixer a coupe
of days back, and managed to get some debris in there that caused it to
leak on about the third use (probably some solder residue, or copper
fragments etc). The dismantle and rub discs between fingers procedure
fixed that.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2017 22:24, jim wrote:
Adrian Brentnall Wrote in message:
HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic valves?

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

WD40 & luck! Strap wrench? Or find spares & get the mole grips
out. Put new ones on with coppaslip on threads.

Thanks Jim.
I think I have a strap wrench somewhere... that would be kinder than
mole grips g

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2017 22:48, Richard wrote:
On 27/12/17 22:24, jim wrote:
Adrian Brentnall Wrote in message:
HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic
valves?

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

WD40 & luck! Strap wrench? Or find spares & get the mole grips
Â* out.Â* Put new ones on with coppaslip on threads.

Might be of use:
https://www.tapsandsinksonline.co.uk...hen-tap-valve/

Yes - very handy, thanks.
Looks like ‚¬30 plus p&p for a pair of valves.
The complete tap cost about ‚¬130, four years ago, and I see that the
same tap unit is available brand new on Amazon for UKP 54....
so it may make more sense to replace the whole tap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2017 22:43, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 21:48:29 +0000, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

[...]

You'll probably find what you want here
https://www.tapmagician.co.uk/TMDefault.aspx????? or more
specifically, here https://www.tapmagician.co.uk/TMDefault.aspx?400

I had/have a similar problem. You need to get the size of the alumina
disc inserts specific to your tap, which means going through the
dismantling process twice, once to measure the discs and the second to
change them. Don't forget to turn the water off first. The images on
that web site give you an idea as to how they come apart. Remove the
lever by removing the plastic cap on top of the tap, to expose the
screw which you undo and then lift or knock/tap off the lever upwards.
You can then unscrew the body from the tap fitting, pull out the
coloured (red or blue) washer at the bottom and then remove the
alumina disc inserts. Not difficult.

The only problem I had was that I couldn't find an exact match for my
discs. So I swapped over the hot and cold discs, reassembled the whole
thing and for a while the tap stopped dripping, although I see it's
recently started again.

If you live in a hard water area, then deposits of lime may have built
up on the discs. Soaking them overnight in vinegar may be all that's
needed.

Failing all that, simply buy a whole new pair of cartridges.

HI Chris
Ah - you've been there too g.
I don't think I want to get down to 'component level' one the repair /
replacement - but I suppose it's good to know it's possible.
Seems that a pair of replacement cartridges will set me back UKP 30,
while Amazon will sell me a complete new (shiny!) tap for only ‚¬25 more
- so I'm tempted just to drop a new one in....

I've changed hundreds of 'old-fashioned' tap washers in the past - but
this is the first time I've needed to fiddle with one of the
quarter-turn jobbies... hence the reason for asking.

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 03:31, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Ah - there's some ideas - thanks

Anybody been there & done that, successfully?

You may find just unscrewing the valve, and pulling the disks out f the
end of it (you normally need to prise off a retaining C clip on the
shaft), will let you clean them - often that is enough if they are still
nice and smooth. A descale, and re-lube with silicone grease can also help.

Ah - having said that I'm considering replacing the whole thing, you've
now appealed to the skinflint in me! g
Trouble is, it's the Kitchen Tap - so any prolonged faffing about with
it isn't likely to be popular....

I notice that the Amazon item carries a 15-year guarantee - "(excluding
working and serviceable parts, abuse or neglect)" - we have pumped
well-water supply - so it's quite possible that some grit as found its
way into the valve...

Yup, they don't like grit... I fitted a good quality new mixer a coupe
of days back, and managed to get some debris in there that caused it to
leak on about the third use (probably some solder residue, or copper
fragments etc). The dismantle and rub discs between fingers procedure
fixed that.

Ah - that's worth knowing. 'Spose I could try, it'd be a nice
'eco-friendly' fix if it was something that simple..

Thanks
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/12/2017 08:11, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

The complete tap cost about ‚¬130, four years ago, and I see that the
same tap unit is available brand new on Amazon for UKP 54....
so it may make more sense to replace the whole tap.

Get the whole tap and you'll be able to see how the handles come apart,
plus have some spare bits. It's a faff to replace the tap body, but it's
easy to replace all the moving parts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Well ?30 for two valves sounds a bit rich to me? I'd have thought
?15 would cover it... Is there something special about them?

There's a website of a company "Lunns " I think? that has an
extensive valve identification page & pricing, that can also lead
you to alternative sources...

http://www.shop.lunns.net/ceramic-disc-valves-42-c.asp

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks - I'll take a look
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 08:07:06 UTC, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 27/12/2017 22:24, jim wrote:
Adrian Brentnall Wrote in message:

HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic valves?

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

WD40 & luck! Strap wrench? Or find spares & get the mole grips
out. Put new ones on with coppaslip on threads.

Thanks Jim.
I think I have a strap wrench somewhere... that would be kinder than
mole grips g

WD40, grease & copper powder in the drinking water too.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 08:21, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

Its also only a 10 minute job[1], so worth a punt!

[1] or at least would be, if having prised the clip off, it did not drop
to the floor, roll, and then fall with a clink into a large exposed
section of floor void that I have open for pipe wrangling...

Ten mins later hunting about in all the crap and sawdust that
accumulates under floors, to find it sitting there straddling an old
discarded floor board nail like a rather good shot in horse shoe hurling!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 12:42, John Rumm wrote:
[...]

I'm glad it's not just me! g

I might dig out my strap wrench (or similar) and give it a go.
After all - it'll take another week before online folks are back at
work, and then it'll be another week before the new item gets to Ireland
from the UK..... - so it's probably worth a punt.

Step one - see if the covers can be removed - they've been made
helpfully conical, so getting a decent grip on them will be a challenge!

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2017 22:24, jim wrote:
Adrian Brentnall Wrote in message:

HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic valves?

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

WD40 & luck! Strap wrench? Or find spares & get the mole grips
out. Put new ones on with coppaslip on threads.

Thanks Jim.
I think I have a strap wrench somewhere... that would be kinder than
mole grips g

WD40, grease & copper powder in the drinking water too.

Knobhead,

I'm certainly hoping that's not relevant

we're talking about the covers over the valves...

Sstf ;-)

I guess you're retarded enough to think that low viscosity liquid could never get in the water. Enjoy your toxins. Wite spirit does affect thinking skills.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 19:08, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 18:03:02 +0000, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:
I'm glad it's not just me! g

I might dig out my strap wrench (or similar) and give it a go.
After all - it'll take another week before online folks are back at
work, and then it'll be another week before the new item gets to Ireland
from the UK..... - so it's probably worth a punt.

Step one - see if the covers can be removed - they've been made
helpfully conical, so getting a decent grip on them will be a challenge!

Thanks
Adrian

Another tip, as well as turning off the water, put the plug in the
hole (saves having to crawl about under the sink uncoupling the waste
trap, to recover that little screw with the totally unique thread and
diameter)!

Good thought. One of those 'obvious after the fact' things g
Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 27/12/2017 22:24, jim wrote:
[...]

Sadly you behave exactly like one.

we're talking about the covers over the valves...

Sstf ;-)

I guess you're retarded enough to think that low viscosity liquid could never get in the water. Enjoy your toxins. Wite spirit does affect thinking skills.

Thread grasping Sstf?

What's the LD50 of WD40?
"Ingestion: This product has low oral toxicity" & that's neat....

Copperslip? copper as found in copper pipes? Grease? At what
concentration? From something not even in contact with water??

IOW more of your desperate ********!

Just how much lead have you ingested? (especially if your plumbing
is all as old as your shower ;-) ).

(WTF is "wite" spirit in anyway?)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2017 22:24, jim wrote:
[...]

ok, show me where white spirit is WRAS approved for potable water plumbing. Otherwise you're just talking stupid bs as always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

On 27/12/2017 22:24, jim wrote:
[...]

Snipped everything else again I see.

You introduced w(h)ite spirit into this thread so you go
(dis)prove your own armchair troll "point".

Nb Is it ppm or ppb units you'll need to take into account in any
answer worth you typing?

SSTF
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 28/12/2017 21:51, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Good thought. One of those 'obvious after the fact' things g
Thanks

My darling wife *now* puts the plug in when removing her contact lenses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 27/12/2017 21:48, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic
valves?

Correct.

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

If it's knurled I usually use water pump pliers & a cloth.

Anybody been there & done that, successfully?

Many times.

Photo of what looks to be the same beast here -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reginox-Elb.../dp/B005MI3DVS

I notice that the Amazon item carries a 15-year guarantee - "(excluding
working and serviceable parts, abuse or neglect)" - we have pumped
well-water supply - so it's quite possible that some grit as found its
way into the valve...

Thanks, Adrian

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 27/12/2017 21:48, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic
valves?

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted.

They can be a bugger to match up. I have a 'proper' plumbers merchant
who carries a wide selection. You need to take the valve AND the
operating head/lever.

I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

Anybody been there & done that, successfully?

Photo of what looks to be the same beast here -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reginox-Elb.../dp/B005MI3DVS

I notice that the Amazon item carries a 15-year guarantee - "(excluding
working and serviceable parts, abuse or neglect)" - we have pumped
well-water supply - so it's quite possible that some grit as found its
way into the valve...

Thanks, Adrian

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

wrote:

[...]

That seems to be the going rate.

There's a website of a company "Lunns " I think? that has an
extensive valve identification page & pricing, that can also lead
you to alternative sources...

http://www.shop.lunns.net/ceramic-disc-valves-42-c.asp

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

TMH Wrote in message:
On 27/12/2017 21:48, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic
valves?

Correct.

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

If it's knurled I usually use water pump pliers & a cloth.

Hi Dave how's things?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 29/12/2017 10:13, jim wrote:
TMH Wrote in message:
On 27/12/2017 21:48, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic
valves?

Correct.

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

If it's knurled I usually use water pump pliers & a cloth.

Hi Dave how's things?

OK thanks. Group seems a bit less political now.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI Dave!

On 29/12/2017 10:11, TMH wrote:
On 27/12/2017 21:48, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about
four years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic
valves?

Correct.

Grand

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

If it's knurled I usually use water pump pliers & a cloth.

Nope - smooth as a smooth thing, and tapered with it.
The 'hot' once loosened off with a grippy garden glove - the cold one
won't budge (so far).
Gave it a bit of limescale remover, might whip the lever off and see if
that give me better access...

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

TMH Wrote in message:
On 29/12/2017 10:13, jim wrote:
TMH Wrote in message:
On 27/12/2017 21:48, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic
valves?

Correct.

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

If it's knurled I usually use water pump pliers & a cloth.

Hi Dave how's things?

OK thanks. Group seems a bit less political now.

Don't hold your breath! :-D
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 29/12/2017 11:18, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Dave!

On 29/12/2017 10:11, TMH wrote:
On 27/12/2017 21:48, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about
four years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic
valves?

Correct.

Grand

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

If it's knurled I usually use water pump pliers & a cloth.

Nope - smooth as a smooth thing, and tapered with it.
The 'hot' once loosened off with a grippy garden glove - the cold one
won't budge (so far).

Grippy glove and water pump pliers?

Gave it a bit of limescale remover, might whip the lever off and see if
that give me better access...

Thanks
Adrian

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2017 10:11, TMH wrote:
[...]

Something like that... probably - or even a stout rubber band wrapped
many times round the thing to give a bit of purchase....

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 23:31:51 UTC, jim wrote:

Snipped everything else again I see.

You introduced w(h)ite spirit into this thread so you go

I see you literally don't know what you're talking about. It was you that recommended WD40, which is almost 100% white spirit.

NT

(dis)prove your own armchair troll "point".

Nb Is it ppm or ppb units you'll need to take into account in any
answer worth you typing?

SSTF

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMH wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

TMH wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

how do you get the conical cover off without damaging the
chrome?

If it's knurled I usually use water pump pliers & a cloth.

Nope - smooth as a smooth thing, and tapered with it. The 'hot'
once loosened off with a grippy garden glove - the cold one won't
budge (so far).

Grippy glove and water pump pliers?

Rubber strap wrench?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2017 13:42, Andy Burns wrote:
TMH wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

TMH wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

how do you get the conical cover off without damaging the
chrome?

If it's knurled I usually use water pump pliers & a cloth.

Nope - smooth as a smooth thing, and tapered with it. The 'hot'
once loosened off with a grippy garden glove - the cold one won't
budge (so far).

Grippy glove and water pump pliers?

Rubber strap wrench?

That'd probably work - don't think I have one.
I 'think' I've got one of the woven strap ones that you work with a
socket set (?oil filter?) - but it's somewhere in the shed that I
promised to tidy up last summer...

I'll have another look at alternative 'grippy' methods in a bit..
Thanks
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2017 22:43, Chris Hogg wrote:
If you live in a hard water area, then deposits of lime may have built
up on the discs. Soaking them overnight in vinegar may be all that's
needed.

Failing all that, simply buy a whole new pair of cartridges.

Assuming you can find somewhere that sells the oddball type of
cartridges that your taps need. There are quite a few variations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I'm glad it's not just me! g

I might dig out my strap wrench (or similar) and give it a go.
After all - it'll take another week before online folks are back at
work, and then it'll be another week before the new item gets to Ireland
from the UK..... - so it's probably worth a punt.

Step one - see if the covers can be removed - they've been made
helpfully conical, so getting a decent grip on them will be a challenge!

Thanks
Adrian

Another tip, as well as turning off the water, put the plug in the
hole (saves having to crawl about under the sink uncoupling the waste
trap, to recover that little screw with the totally unique thread and
diameter)!

Good thought. One of those 'obvious after the fact' things g
Thanks

As Peter Parry would probably point out, it's at this point you discover
that the gate valve that shuts off the supply from the hot tank to the
kitchen tap is seized solid.

You decide to be brave and whip out the old one and screw in the new
using an old towel to stop the hot water splashing around but you cross
thread the new one in the process.

By this time hot water at 60 Centigrade has made it to the tap and you
cannot screw or unscrew the new ceramic unit, while hot water is
****ing everywhere all around you .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

At which point the more prudent, would stick a bung into the outlet pipe
of the cold cistern ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMH wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

TMH wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

how do you get the conical cover off without damaging the
chrome?

If it's knurled I usually use water pump pliers & a cloth.

Nope - smooth as a smooth thing, and tapered with it. The 'hot'
once loosened off with a grippy garden glove - the cold one won't
budge (so far).
Grippy glove and water pump pliers?

Rubber strap wrench?

That'd probably work - don't think I have one.
I 'think' I've got one of the woven strap ones that you work with a
socket set (?oil filter?) - but it's somewhere in the shed that I
promised to tidy up last summer...

I'll have another look at alternative 'grippy' methods in a bit..
Thanks
Adrian

Sort of success - managed to get the cover off (6" of self-amalgamating
tape to protect the chrome and 12" of Stillson wrench to shift it).

Even managed to get the cartridge out and disassembled, cleaned up as
best I could, regreased and reassembled.
Still drips, perhaps not quite so much as it did.

New cartridge time, I think...
Will wait until next week when our local plumber's merchants reopens
(free sucking-in-of-breath-through-teeth and gentle sarcasm with every
purchase) - and if they're not feeling cooperative there's various
online possibilities.

Gained some brownie points for trying! g
Thanks for the advice
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 29/12/2017 17:22, Andrew wrote:
On 27/12/2017 22:43, Chris Hogg wrote:
If you live in a hard water area, then deposits of lime may have built
up on the discs. Soaking them overnight in vinegar may be all that's
needed.

Failing all that, simply buy a whole new pair of cartridges.

Assuming you can find somewhere that sells the oddball type of
cartridges that your taps need. There are quite a few variations.

More than a few! I'm lucky to have a plumbers merchants in town that
has extensive stock. Never let me down. Yet!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman