Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall[_2_] Adrian Brentnall[_2_] is offline

Default Kitchen sink mixer tap drips - can it be fixed?

On 29/12/2017 16:48, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 29/12/2017 13:42, Andy Burns wrote:
TMH wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

TMH wrote:

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

how do you get the conical cover off without damaging the
chrome?

If it's knurled I usually use water pump pliers & a cloth.

Nope - smooth as a smooth thing, and tapered with it. The 'hot'
once loosened off with a grippy garden glove - the cold one won't
budge (so far).
Grippy glove and water pump pliers?

Rubber strap wrench?

That'd probably work - don't think I have one.
I 'think' I've got one of the woven strap ones that you work with a
socket set (?oil filter?) - but it's somewhere in the shed that I
promised to tidy up last summer...

I'll have another look at alternative 'grippy' methods in a bit..
Thanks
Adrian

Sort of success - managed to get the cover off (6" of self-amalgamating
tape to protect the chrome and 12" of Stillson wrench to shift it).

Even managed to get the cartridge out and disassembled, cleaned up as
best I could, regreased and reassembled.
Still drips, perhaps not quite so much as it did.

New cartridge time, I think...
Will wait until next week when our local plumber's merchants reopens
(free sucking-in-of-breath-through-teeth and gentle sarcasm with every
purchase) - and if they're not feeling cooperative there's various
online possibilities.

Gained some brownie points for trying! g
Thanks for the advice
Adrian