Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Default Kitchen sink mixer tap drips - can it be fixed?

Adrian Brentnall Wrote in message:
On 27/12/2017 22:43, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 27 Dec 2017 21:48:29 +0000, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

HI Folks
We had a lever-operated kitchen kitchen sink mixer tap fitted about four
years ago - in the past few months it's started dripping.
It has quarter-turn levers - I'm guessing that these operate ceramic valves?

If so - does anybody have experience of obtaining replacement valves,
and how are they fitted. I'm expecting that the lever is held on by a
screw, under the end-cover - but how do you get the conical cover off
without damaging the chrome?

Anybody been there & done that, successfully?

Photo of what looks to be the same beast here -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reginox-Elb.../dp/B005MI3DVS

I notice that the Amazon item carries a 15-year guarantee - "(excluding
working and serviceable parts, abuse or neglect)" - we have pumped
well-water supply - so it's quite possible that some grit as found its
way into the valve...

Thanks, Adrian

You'll probably find what you want here
https://www.tapmagician.co.uk/TMDefault.aspx????? or more
specifically, here https://www.tapmagician.co.uk/TMDefault.aspx?400

I had/have a similar problem. You need to get the size of the alumina
disc inserts specific to your tap, which means going through the
dismantling process twice, once to measure the discs and the second to
change them. Don't forget to turn the water off first. The images on
that web site give you an idea as to how they come apart. Remove the
lever by removing the plastic cap on top of the tap, to expose the
screw which you undo and then lift or knock/tap off the lever upwards.
You can then unscrew the body from the tap fitting, pull out the
coloured (red or blue) washer at the bottom and then remove the
alumina disc inserts. Not difficult.

The only problem I had was that I couldn't find an exact match for my
discs. So I swapped over the hot and cold discs, reassembled the whole
thing and for a while the tap stopped dripping, although I see it's
recently started again.

If you live in a hard water area, then deposits of lime may have built
up on the discs. Soaking them overnight in vinegar may be all that's
needed.

Failing all that, simply buy a whole new pair of cartridges.

HI Chris
Ah - you've been there too g.
I don't think I want to get down to 'component level' one the repair /
replacement - but I suppose it's good to know it's possible.
Seems that a pair of replacement cartridges will set me back UKP 30,
while Amazon will sell me a complete new (shiny!) tap for only ?25 more
- so I'm tempted just to drop a new one in....

Well ?30 for two valves sounds a bit rich to me? I'd have thought
?15 would cover it... Is there something special about them?

There's a website of a company "Lunns " I think? that has an
extensive valve identification page & pricing, that can also lead
you to alternative sources...

http://www.shop.lunns.net/ceramic-disc-valves-42-c.asp

--
Jim K