Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tumble dryers revisited.

On Sunday, 31 December 2017 11:55:04 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 11:18:35 +0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:
On 31/12/2017 05:02, tabbypurr wrote:

The faster the wind blows, the faster heat is transferred from
ambient to the water in the clothes. I've subjected clothes to some
pretty strong winds and afaik they've not frozen. I suppose if they
did they'd thaw again almost instantly.

You haven't pegged them out on a line in January when its 1C then.
They freeze if its windy.

And of course at those thresholds it's a vicious circle. Increase the
wind speed and whilst that increases the amount of low level energy to
help the evaporation process, it also increases the evaporation
process that increases the chill factor (latent heat of vaporisation)
and in turn lowering the temperature in the water in the clothes.

So what we need is some way to heat some more heat energy into the
clothes to keep the temperature up and make them dry faster, even when
it's cold outside. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

High airspeed at 1C means any frosting will be thawed out rapidly. But no-one runs TDs at 1C afaik.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 13:32:36 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

So, if you were to blow air though a (moving?)
container of clothes, what would stop them cooling
down to the point where they could freeze?

Same thing that never sees camping coolers freeze.

They do.

Nope.

I've had my Peltier cooler freeze many a time.

Those arent the ones cooling by evaporation of the water.

Worse if you were recycling the air?

Nope, because once the air is saturated, it
doesn't evaporate any more from the clothes.

Ok, so it might snow instead. ;-)

Given both of our de-humidifiers (working on the same
principal of a liquid evaporating cooling a surface) often
go into defrost mode if they are in an unheated room in the
winter, what is to stop the clothes simply freezing up, if you
don't introduce heat energy into the system to stop that?

Same thing that never sees camping coolers freeze.

But they do. See, you may simply be isolating your survey to one, 'Rod
in Auz' but if you consider most Peltier coolers are able to reduce
the temperature on the cold side to -20 DegC below ambient then if we
had one on here when it was even 15 Degrees outside (that's summer for
us g) then it would be -5 Degrees C in the cooler (and that's below
freezing in my world)?

Those arent the ones cooling by evaporation of the water.

I don't know the answers,

That's obvious.

I'm just asking the questions? ;-)

Stoppit at once or go to your room, boy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 31 December 2017 13:02:43 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 31/12/2017 12:53, tabbypurr wrote:
On Sunday, 31 December 2017 11:18:40 UTC, dennis@home wrote:
On 31/12/2017 05:02, tabbypurr wrote:

The faster the wind blows, the faster heat is transferred from
ambient to the water in the clothes. I've subjected clothes to some
pretty strong winds and afaik they've not frozen. I suppose if they
did they'd thaw again almost instantly.

You haven't pegged them out on a line in January when its 1C then.
They freeze if its windy.

I expect we've all done that. It's of no relevance though.

No its just proof that what you said isn't true!

oh dear
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Rod gets something right. What is it, 1 time out of 100?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

OOI, have you ever seen or used a cooler box that works by the
evaporation of water because I haven't? shrug

I'm aware of cheap air-con units that use that principal and I've used
/ made my own impromptu ones for some milk or beer when camping but
I've never seen a commercial one. Not saying they don't exist ...

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yep, and what I use to cool my entire house does too.

because I haven't? shrug

Then you need to get out more, as usual.

I'm aware of cheap air-con units that use that principal and
I've used / made my own impromptu ones for some milk or
beer when camping but I've never seen a commercial one.

Then you need to get out more, as usual.

Not saying they don't exist ...

Just as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 January 2018 00:03:07 UTC, T i m wrote:

OOI, have you ever seen or used a cooler box that works by the
evaporation of water because I haven't? shrug

I'm aware of cheap air-con units that use that principal and I've used
/ made my own impromptu ones for some milk or beer when camping but
I've never seen a commercial one. Not saying they don't exist ...

Cheers, T i m

evaporative coolers are well known technology. The amount of cooling is limited.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 January 2018 01:51:16 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Sun, 31 Dec 2017 17:13:28 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:
On Monday, 1 January 2018 00:03:07 UTC, T i m wrote:

OOI, have you ever seen or used a cooler box that works by the
evaporation of water because I haven't? shrug

I'm aware of cheap air-con units that use that principal and I've used
/ made my own impromptu ones for some milk or beer when camping but
I've never seen a commercial one. Not saying they don't exist ...

Cheers, T i m

evaporative coolers are well known technology.

Yes, I know, but we are talking specifically about 'evaporative cooler
boxes' here. Have you ever had / seen one?

FWIW I've made them and used ready made ones. They have their uses. But it has little to do with tumble driers.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/12/2017 01:20, T i m wrote:
If it leaks humidity we may have to run the de-humidifier
and that reduces the efficiency a bit?

AFAIK they all leak humidity.

I'd design it with a closed cycle air system. They don't seem to do that
- they heat fresh air, then cool it again on the way out to extract some
of the moisture. Not all of it.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2018 15:54, T i m wrote:
Now you mention it it does remind me of that sort of solution. Not
sure I've seen a camping cooler box in that form though.;-)

https://static.petersofkensington.com.au/images/ProductImages/285433-Zoom.jpg

"ideal at home or on safari"

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/1/2018 3:49 PM, Max Demian wrote:

When I lived in places with no refrigerator I would put milk &c. on an
outside windowsill of suitable prospect. Or Use a vacuum flask if the
stuff was already cold from a work or shop fridge. I had a large flask
with a plastic lining at one time for bacon and other solid food.

I used a windowsill, too, but I draped a wet towel over the
milk/butter/etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 21:34:10 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 01/01/2018 15:54, T i m wrote:
Now you mention it it does remind me of that sort of solution. Not
sure I've seen a camping cooler box in that form though.;-)

https://static.petersofkensington.com.au/images/ProductImages/285433-Zoom.jpg

"ideal at home or on safari"

Neat (if you aren't on a 'hiking safari' probably, even if it is near
a river). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Vir Campestris Wrote in message:
On 01/01/2018 15:54, T i m wrote:
Now you mention it it does remind me of that sort of solution. Not
sure I've seen a camping cooler box in that form though.;-)

https://static.petersofkensington.com.au/images/ProductImages/285433-Zoom.jpg

"ideal at home or on safari"

Andy

Mine works well :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 21:25:24 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 28/12/2017 01:20, T i m wrote:
If it leaks humidity we may have to run the de-humidifier
and that reduces the efficiency a bit?

AFAIK they all leak humidity.

I'd design it with a closed cycle air system. They don't seem to do that
- they heat fresh air, then cool it again on the way out to extract some
of the moisture. Not all of it.

I think our vented TD also leaks a little bit of humidity but most of
that is probably because it's not pretty old and quite worn (felt
seals etc).

Luckily, dealing with the potential issues of condenser dryers can now
wait for a while as we got the old vented one going (again). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2018 23:31, S Viemeister wrote:
On 1/1/2018 3:49 PM, Max Demian wrote:

When I lived in places with no refrigerator I would put milk &c. on an
outside windowsill of suitable prospect. Or Use a vacuum flask if the
stuff was already cold from a work or shop fridge. I had a large flask
with a plastic lining at one time for bacon and other solid food.

I used a windowsill, too, but I draped a wet towel over the
milk/butter/etc.

An outside storage place is useful even if you have a fridge. The place
I lived at before now had a porch cupboard which was useful to keep old
potatoes which use up too much space in a fridge and which don't like to
be too cold - just a cool, dark place. I kept other root vegetables and
large bottles of cider there too, in the winter. My old potatoes are
sprouting like mad now. A good job Asda gave up their daft idea of not
selling loose potatoes (and carrots) recently.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/2/2018 6:41 AM, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

Years ago, many houses were built with well-ventilated larders. My
Granny's kitchen had a larder on the shady side of the house, with a
wire box sticking out of its window, for keeping things cool - that's
where I learned the wet towel trick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/01/2018 12:39, S Viemeister wrote:
On 1/2/2018 6:41 AM, Max Demian wrote:

An outside storage place is useful even if you have a fridge. The
place I lived at before now had a porch cupboard which was useful to
keep old potatoes which use up too much space in a fridge and which
don't like to be too cold - just a cool, dark place. I kept other root
vegetables and large bottles of cider there too, in the winter. My old
potatoes are sprouting like mad now. A good job Asda gave up their
daft idea of not selling loose potatoes (and carrots) recently.

Years ago, many houses were built with well-ventilated larders. My
Granny's kitchen had a larder on the shady side of the house, with a
wire box sticking out of its window, for keeping things cool - that's
where I learned the wet towel trick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larder

In the house that my parents build in 1956-7 there was a small larder,
which, though not on the north of the house, had a "window opening
covered in fine mesh" - to keep out the flies. There was also a tiled
concrete slab - "A pantry may contain a thrawl, a term used in
Derbyshire and Yorkshire, to denote a stone slab or shelf used to keep
food cool in the days before refrigeration was domestically available" -
though I never heard it referred to by that name, and I don't know how
it was described to the builder, or whether it served the purpose. They
eventually bought a refrigerator, though it was placed in the hall as
there was no room in the kitchenette.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/2/2018 2:25 PM, Max Demian wrote:

In the house that my parents build in 1956-7 there was a small larder,
which, though not on the north of the house, had a "window opening
covered in fine mesh" - to keep out the flies. There was also a tiled
concrete slab - "A pantry may contain a thrawl, a term used in
Derbyshire and Yorkshire, to denote a stone slab or shelf used to keep
food cool in the days before refrigeration was domestically available" -
though I never heard it referred to by that name, and I don't know how
it was described to the builder, or whether it served the purpose. They
eventually bought a refrigerator, though it was placed in the hall as
there was no room in the kitchenette.

I've seen old houses with kitchen storerooms lined with stone shelves.
I've not heard the term thrawl, though.
Now I'm curious - I think I'll poke around in my Scots dictionaries, to
see if I can find what they'd have been called in Granny's day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 January 2018 22:11:47 UTC, S Viemeister wrote:
On 1/2/2018 2:25 PM, Max Demian wrote:

In the house that my parents build in 1956-7 there was a small larder,
which, though not on the north of the house, had a "window opening
covered in fine mesh" - to keep out the flies. There was also a tiled
concrete slab - "A pantry may contain a thrawl, a term used in
Derbyshire and Yorkshire, to denote a stone slab or shelf used to keep
food cool in the days before refrigeration was domestically available" -
though I never heard it referred to by that name, and I don't know how
it was described to the builder, or whether it served the purpose. They
eventually bought a refrigerator, though it was placed in the hall as
there was no room in the kitchenette.

I've seen old houses with kitchen storerooms lined with stone shelves.
I've not heard the term thrawl, though.

They would moderate the hot swings a bit in the day. Were they also wetted for additional cooling?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Jan 2018 18:31:18 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 1/1/2018 3:49 PM, Max Demian wrote:

When I lived in places with no refrigerator I would put milk &c. on an
outside windowsill of suitable prospect.

I used a windowsill, too, but I draped a wet towel over the
milk/butter/etc.

In the days before keg beer and cooling systems landlords used Hessian
sacks soaked in water to to keep the casks cool on hot days.

May not reach the low "we market it this cold as refreshing but really
it is anathematize your taste buds because the taste is foul really"
temperatures found in recent years for some drinks but still cool
enough on a hot day to be appreciated.

G.Harman

Narrow Tumble Dryers [email protected] UK diy 0 July 27th 05 11:29 PM
On the subject of tumble-dryers - vented v. condensing Grunff UK diy 37 September 17th 04 12:00 AM
Tumble Dryers al UK diy 17 January 5th 04 09:36 PM
Bosch Condenser Tumble Dryers Alastair UK diy 4 January 5th 04 07:14 PM
Bosch Tumble Dryers - Best Buy? Alan Dempster UK diy 18 November 24th 03 01:43 PM