Posted to uk.d-i-y
S Viemeister[_2_] S Viemeister[_2_] is offline

Default Tumble dryers revisited.

On 1/2/2018 6:41 AM, Max Demian wrote:
On 01/01/2018 23:31, S Viemeister wrote:
On 1/1/2018 3:49 PM, Max Demian wrote:
When I lived in places with no refrigerator I would put milk &c. on
an outside windowsill of suitable prospect. Or Use a vacuum flask if
the stuff was already cold from a work or shop fridge. I had a large
flask with a plastic lining at one time for bacon and other solid food.

I used a windowsill, too, but I draped a wet towel over the
milk/butter/etc.

An outside storage place is useful even if you have a fridge. The place
I lived at before now had a porch cupboard which was useful to keep old
potatoes which use up too much space in a fridge and which don't like to
be too cold - just a cool, dark place. I kept other root vegetables and
large bottles of cider there too, in the winter. My old potatoes are
sprouting like mad now. A good job Asda gave up their daft idea of not
selling loose potatoes (and carrots) recently.

Years ago, many houses were built with well-ventilated larders. My
Granny's kitchen had a larder on the shady side of the house, with a
wire box sticking out of its window, for keeping things cool - that's
where I learned the wet towel trick.