Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Age related

On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 16:13:31 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I remember the real old trams.

put a penny on the line glasgow 1962 ...

That's Weegies for you.

Edinbuggers kept their pennies in their pockets :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:31:36 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 13/12/2017 00:25, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:39:05 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

There's always that popular "Going upstairs and forgetting what it
was
you'd gone upstairs for." However, that's one that creeps up on most
people long before "Reaching a certain age" so I suspect you're already
only too aware of that.

You just have to come back downstairs to remember. Memories are
localised in space

I'd agree. That's well observed and a point I'd forgotten. Still, on the
bright side, I guess the extra exercise wouldn't come amiss for most of
us. :-)

The other one I can think of is collecting remote controls for TV
sets
and gadgets you no longer possess.

If they're the same make as the new ones, /some/ of the buttons will
work, in case the new remote fails.

The Panasonic remotes seemed the most consistent in that regard but I
was never that lucky with all the other makes.

You'll probably start vocalising the conversations you have with
yourself that you'd previously had the good sense to keep quiet about.
Don't worry if family members and relatives start pointing this out
since the standard response "Talking to myself is the only form of
intelligent conversation I can get these days! Besides, I need to keep
in practice in case I do meet anyone capable of having an intelligent
conversation!"

That's easy nowadays. Just get a pair of earbuds and stuff the cord down
your front. People will assume you are using a mobile hands free.

A nice idea and, for most, that would be an excellent ruse but since I'm
known for my dislike of mobile phones, that would just make me look as
though I was losing my marbles rather more so than my simply conversing
with myself.

I'd gotten over the novelty of being able to chat to others via a mobile
wireless communication device way back in the late 60s. By the time
affordable mobile phones became available, I was already wise to the fact
that being available via land line, postal and electronic mail just left
to open to unsolicited communications with people and organisations I'd
rather not communicate with.

I could only see ownership of a mobile phone as mostly downside with
very little upside. Since there was never any compelling reason to make
myself available whilst out and about, I was quite happy to forego the
dubious pleasures of owning a mobile phone. If I ever change my mind,
it'll most likely be the result of age related feelings of insecurity.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:47:09 +0000, A_lurker wrote:

On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

====snip====

Any other signs.?

Question comes to mind.
Sit down at PC.
Open browser.
Open Google.
Forgot the question.

That's one I can relate to. :-(

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew" wrote in message
news
On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

I've just discovered that the remote key fob for my Astra estate also
shuts the windows that I forgot to close after leaving and locking the
car.

Wish my Getz did. It would be very handy during the garage
sale run in summer. I always lock the car when inside a particular
garage sale because some of the local illegals have been
known to help themselves from the cars parked outside.

All the time i have been going back, sticking the key in the ign just
activate the door buttons. :-)

I dont do that, just run the windows up before getting
out and locking the car with the button on the key.

Handy last weekend after I left the rear windows ajar to release
condensation from the previous days use. Sunday was wet'n windy so
I just pointed the fob out of the house front window, pressed the button
for the alleged 5 seconds and hey presto up went the windows.

Since then we have had -6, so I expect the battery will be flat now :-(.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 12/13/2017 4:11 PM, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 12/13/2017 3:43 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mike Clarke wrote:
On 13/12/2017 08:10, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I was offered a seat on a tram last week.

I remember the real old trams.

Open top front and back in Aberdeen. Just what you need this weather.

best waiting for a cunarder ....

put a penny on the line glasgow 1962 ...

When I was in primary school, long before that, with the train line
below the school down an embankment, a few of us kids put some coins
on the railway line before school started. That day they chose to rock up
and do some rail maintenance. Caused a bit of a stir with the kids.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 15:43:42 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Clarke wrote:
On 13/12/2017 08:10, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I was offered a seat on a tram last week.

I remember the real old trams.

Open top front and back in Aberdeen. Just what you need this weather.

Bit of a selective memory there
Not all of them were like that.
http://www.mcjazz.f2s.com/images/Trams/ToonTr6.jpg
Aberdeen was set to modernise and acquired over 20 modern cars
postwar, and the one behind though older is fully enclosed as well.
The modern ones saw less than 9 years service because of the decision
to abandoned the tram system.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 20:34, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/12/2017 20:20, ARW wrote:
On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do
what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Best not to forget to mention how young police officers look these days.

or how short most of em are!

Yvonne Fletcher is the name that rings a bell about height.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 20:20, ARW wrote:
On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do
what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check
it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Best not to forget to mention how young police officers look these days.

or how short most of em are!

Yvonne Fletcher is the name that rings a bell about height.

She wasn't short enough to dodge the bullet with her name on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 15:43:42 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Mike Clarke wrote:
On 13/12/2017 08:10, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I was offered a seat on a tram last week.

I remember the real old trams.

Open top front and back in Aberdeen. Just what you need this weather.

Bit of a selective memory there
Not all of them were like that.

Didn't say they were.
http://www.mcjazz.f2s.com/images/Trams/ToonTr6.jpg

Aberdeen was set to modernise and acquired over 20 modern cars
postwar, and the one behind though older is fully enclosed as well.
The modern ones saw less than 9 years service because of the decision
to abandoned the tram system.

They had several types, depending on route. Including quite large double
bogey ones with a central entrance - and two conductors. I don't think any
were bought new.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 00:38:37 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

http://www.mcjazz.f2s.com/images/Trams/ToonTr6.jpg

Aberdeen was set to modernise and acquired over 20 modern cars
postwar,

They had several types, depending on route. Including quite large double
bogey ones with a central entrance - and two conductors. I don't think any
were bought new.

The modern ones I mentioned were, a couple ordered before the war got
delivered after it started, these were prototype evaluation models to
check out certain features, for complete fleet modernisation but the
war delayed completion of the first and as it turned out final order
till 1949.
They did acquire 2nd hand ones from other places .
The decision to change tack and go for abandonment taken in 1955 was
quite late compared to most places with the last tram running in 1958.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

http://www.mcjazz.f2s.com/images/Trams/ToonTr6.jpg

Aberdeen was set to modernise and acquired over 20 modern cars
postwar,

They had several types, depending on route. Including quite large double
bogey ones with a central entrance - and two conductors. I don't think any
were bought new.

The modern ones I mentioned were, a couple ordered before the war got
delivered after it started, these were prototype evaluation models to
check out certain features, for complete fleet modernisation but the
war delayed completion of the first and as it turned out final order
till 1949.
They did acquire 2nd hand ones from other places .

Think one problem was the large ones were too big for some routes. Think
some were bought from Blackpool.

The decision to change tack and go for abandonment taken in 1955 was
quite late compared to most places with the last tram running in 1958.

Yes - sad to see them go. Unless a cyclist, of course. Or owning an Austin
7. Getting stuck in the rails. ;-)

One problem was when they broke down - quite frequent towards the end of
their service. The one behind can't overtake it. And sometimes nothing
else.

--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 17:24:56 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I wear a neckband headset on the garage sale run and hardly
anyone doesnt think I am talking to them when I am in fact
talking to one of the other garage salers on the phone.

That's your story why not admit you are talking to yourself ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 17:40:58 GMT
Johnny B Good wrote:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:47:09 +0000, A_lurker wrote:

Question comes to mind.
Sit down at PC.
Open browser.
Open Google.
Forgot the question.

That's one I can relate to. :-(

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access Google
in as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a keyboard.
Very useful for those "what movie was he in?" type queries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 15:49:51 UTC, Rob Morley wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 17:40:58 GMT
Johnny B Good wrote:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:47:09 +0000, A_lurker wrote:

Question comes to mind.
Sit down at PC.
Open browser.
Open Google.
Forgot the question.

That's one I can relate to. :-(

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access Google
in as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a keyboard.
Very useful for those "what movie was he in?" type queries.

So you are old !, you don;t need to pick up a keyboard ;-) why not ask siri or alexis or the other products availble, not that I use them much.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 08:41:55 -0800 (PST)
whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 15:49:51 UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access
Google in as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a
keyboard. Very useful for those "what movie was he in?" type
queries.

So you are old !, you don;t need to pick up a keyboard ;-) why not
ask siri or alexis or the other products availble, not that I use
them much.

Because other people are watching TV or having a conversation. I have
a tablet but I've never felt the need to talk to it (swear at the phone
maybe, because the touch screen increasingly seems to do random stuff
for the hell of it).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Morley wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 17:40:58 GMT
Johnny B Good wrote:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:47:09 +0000, A_lurker wrote:

Question comes to mind.
Sit down at PC.
Open browser.
Open Google.
Forgot the question.

That's one I can relate to. :-(

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access Google
in as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a keyboard.
Very useful for those "what movie was he in?" type queries.

Thats what iPads/other tablets/smart phones are for.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Parry
writes
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:39:05 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

You save old half full cans of long solidified paint in case they
come in useful one day.

You keep a jam jar full of terminally rusted screws with mangled heads
and put a sticky label on saying "screws" so you can tell them apart
from the jam jar full of rusted bent nails labeled "nails".

Anything you can't identify and have no idea what it ever did you put
in a jar marked "Misc".

Buying a new item then remembering you have a jar labelled miscellaneous
with one in it.
You save the 4 spools of strimmer cord which only fitted the strimmer
you threw out 20 years ago.

You start keeping string.

You follow the postman to pick up elastic bands and store them in the
"Elastic Bands" jam jar.

--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't
do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

You save old half full cans of longÂ* solidified paint in case they
come in useful one day.

You keep a jam jar full of terminally rusted screws with mangled heads
and put a sticky label on saying "screws" so you can tell them apart
from the jam jar full of rusted bent nails labeled "nails".

Anything you can't identify and have no idea what it ever did you put
in a jar marked "Misc".

Buying a new item then remembering you have a jar labelled miscellaneous
with one in it.
You save the 4 spools of strimmer cord which only fitted the strimmer
you threw out 20 years ago.

You start keeping string.

You follow the postman to pick up elastic bands and store them in the
"Elastic Bands" jam jar.

In my case looking at something, figuring the cost of storing it versus
the cost of replacing it if I ever need it, and throwing it in the bin

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 20:29:44 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
In my case looking at something, figuring the cost of storing it versus
the cost of replacing it if I ever need it, and throwing it in the bin

Looking at something and deciding it's easier to leave it where it is and ignore it than struggle carrying it down 2 flights of stairs to the bin.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:47:09 +0000, A_lurker wrote:

Question comes to mind.
Sit down at PC.
Open browser.
Open Google.
Forgot the question.

That's one I can relate to. :-(

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access Google in
as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a keyboard. Very
useful for those "what movie was he in?" type queries.

I keep a fondleslab next to my chair for a similar purpose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 15:49:51 UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access
Google in as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a
keyboard. Very useful for those "what movie was he in?" type
queries.

So you are old !, you don;t need to pick up a keyboard ;-) why not
ask siri or alexis or the other products availble, not that I use
them much.

Because other people are watching TV or having a conversation.
I have a tablet but I've never felt the need to talk to it

I don't use light switches at all anymore, tell siri to switch
the stuff that doesn't happen auto with the motion sensors.

(swear at the phone maybe,

Just yesterday I swore at siri and got a very terse response
about language. So I swore again and got no response to that.

because the touch screen increasingly seems
to do random stuff for the hell of it).

That's because you are a greasy wog.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec 2017 18:54:01 GMT
Tim+ wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access
Google in as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a
keyboard. Very useful for those "what movie was he in?" type
queries.

Thats what iPads/other tablets/smart phones are for.

I use those as mobile devices - when I'm sat on the couch I prefer a big
screen, a physical keyboard and no need for batteries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 09:56:06 +1100
"Rod Speed" wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message

because the touch screen increasingly seems
to do random stuff for the hell of it).

That's because you are a greasy wog.

I prefer the term "crusty".
But no, I clean it with isopropyl wipes and it still takes the ****.
Mind you it is a no-name device that was silly-cheap on eBay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message

because the touch screen increasingly seems
to do random stuff for the hell of it).

That's because you are a greasy wog.

I prefer the term "crusty".
But no, I clean it with isopropyl wipes and it still takes the ****.

Yeah, touch screens don't like fingers, not clear what they don't like
about them and I havent heard of any good fix if it doesn't like yours.

Mind you it is a no-name device that was silly-cheap on eBay.

Yeah, there a different touch screen technologys. Try an apple
screen at one of the stores that allows you to play with them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/17 02:05, Rob Morley wrote:
On 14 Dec 2017 18:54:01 GMT
Tim+ wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access
Google in as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a
keyboard. Very useful for those "what movie was he in?" type
queries.

Thats what iPads/other tablets/smart phones are for.

I use those as mobile devices - when I'm sat on the couch I prefer a big
screen, a physical keyboard and no need for batteries.

yeah. My server now has the TV as monitor,a satellite card up its arse
and both surfs the net and serves as a TV, through the wonders of remote
mouse and keyboard

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

ۥ Confucius
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 15:49:51 UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access
Google in as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a
keyboard. Very useful for those "what movie was he in?" type
queries.

So you are old !, you don;t need to pick up a keyboard ;-) why not
ask siri or alexis or the other products availble, not that I use
them much.

Because other people are watching TV or having a conversation. I have
a tablet but I've never felt the need to talk to it (swear at the phone
maybe, because the touch screen increasingly seems to do random stuff
for the hell of it).

That really is age related, your skin dries up and the touch screens
don't work as well. Try some moisturiser on your hands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
Tim+ wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access
Google in as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a
keyboard. Very useful for those "what movie was he in?" type
queries.

That's what iPads/other tablets/smart phones are for.

I use those as mobile devices - when I'm sat on the couch I prefer a big
screen, a physical keyboard and no need for batteries.

yeah. My server now has the TV as monitor,a satellite card up its arse and
both surfs the net and serves as a TV, through the wonders of remote mouse
and keyboard

in which the batteries always go flat ,,,,,,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
Tim+ wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access
Google in as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a
keyboard. Very useful for those "what movie was he in?" type
queries.

That's what iPads/other tablets/smart phones are for.

I use those as mobile devices - when I'm sat on the couch I prefer a big
screen, a physical keyboard and no need for batteries.

yeah. My server now has the TV as monitor,a satellite card up its arse and
both surfs the net and serves as a TV, through the wonders of remote mouse
and keyboard

in which the batteries always go flat ,,,,,,

not really. about 9months plus on the mouse, and about 15 on the kb

No worse thn a tv rem ote

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One problem was when they broke down - quite frequent towards the end of
their service. The one behind can't overtake it.

But the one behind should have been able to push it. ISTR the Sunderland
trams having hefty buffer blocks at each end.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message

because the touch screen increasingly seems
to do random stuff for the hell of it).

That's because you are a greasy wog.

I prefer the term "crusty".
But no, I clean it with isopropyl wipes and it still takes the ****.

Yeah, touch screens don't like fingers,

That's how you are meant to operate them not with your penis.

clear what they don't like
about them and I havent heard of any good fix if it doesn't like yours.

Some are less conductive than others or have very dry fingers, some have difficulty touching the screen for the rigth amount of time in the correct way to get it to respond my dad had that problem.

Mind you it is a no-name device that was silly-cheap on eBay.

yes those cheaper screen aren't very good, it's probbly resistive touch rather than capacitive too.

Yeah, there a different touch screen technologys. Try an apple
screen at one of the stores that allows you to play with them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access
Google in as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a
keyboard. Very useful for those "what movie was he in?" type
queries.

That's what iPads/other tablets/smart phones are for.

I use those as mobile devices - when I'm sat on the couch I prefer a big
screen, a physical keyboard and no need for batteries.

yeah. My server now has the TV as monitor,a satellite card up its arse and
both surfs the net and serves as a TV, through the wonders of remote mouse
and keyboard

in which the batteries always go flat ,,,,,,

not really. about 9months plus on the mouse, and about 15 on the kb

No worse thn a tv rem ote

my TV remote battereism last a lot longer than my kb or mouse batteries have.
I;ve had my TV about 3 years now and haven't replaced the batteries.

I've found that bluetooth devices use a lot more power than my TV remote does as my TV remote doesn't transmit unless I press a button, where as my kb is always on and so was the mouse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 03:11:07 -0800 (PST)
whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 15 December 2017 02:53:15 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Yeah, touch screens don't like fingers,

That's how you are meant to operate them not with your penis.

I've occasionally found it easier to use my nose than to remove a glove.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:

On Friday, 15 December 2017 02:53:15 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Yeah, touch screens don't like fingers,

That's how you are meant to operate them not with your penis.

I've occasionally found it easier to use my nose than to remove a glove.

Strange way to have a wank but each to his own ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

eb.com...
whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 15:49:51 UTC, Rob Morley wrote:

I have a PC next to my couch left on "suspend" so I can access
Google in as long as it takes me to push a button and pick up a
keyboard. Very useful for those "what movie was he in?" type
queries.

So you are old !, you don;t need to pick up a keyboard ;-) why not
ask siri or alexis or the other products availble, not that I use
them much.

Because other people are watching TV or having a conversation. I have
a tablet but I've never felt the need to talk to it (swear at the phone
maybe, because the touch screen increasingly seems to do random stuff
for the hell of it).

That really is age related, your skin dries up and the touch screens don't
work as well.

Works fine for me and I am older than almost all of you and the fingertip
skin doesnt dry up anyway,

Try some moisturiser on your hands.

Its only the fingertips that are relevant and only a couple of those too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2017 09:55, John Rumm wrote:
Started with 14" CRTs, then 15, then 17, then 2x17, then 22+17, then
LCDs... Currently looking at 2 x 24" widescreen, wondering if I can
stick in a third ;-)

Journalist: Why have you got 6 screens on your desk?
Pratchett: Because I don't have room for 8.

Andy