Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Age related

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:31:36 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

On 13/12/2017 00:25, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:39:05 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

There's always that popular "Going upstairs and forgetting what it
was
you'd gone upstairs for." However, that's one that creeps up on most
people long before "Reaching a certain age" so I suspect you're already
only too aware of that.

You just have to come back downstairs to remember. Memories are
localised in space

I'd agree. That's well observed and a point I'd forgotten. Still, on the
bright side, I guess the extra exercise wouldn't come amiss for most of
us. :-)

The other one I can think of is collecting remote controls for TV
sets
and gadgets you no longer possess.

If they're the same make as the new ones, /some/ of the buttons will
work, in case the new remote fails.

The Panasonic remotes seemed the most consistent in that regard but I
was never that lucky with all the other makes.

You'll probably start vocalising the conversations you have with
yourself that you'd previously had the good sense to keep quiet about.
Don't worry if family members and relatives start pointing this out
since the standard response "Talking to myself is the only form of
intelligent conversation I can get these days! Besides, I need to keep
in practice in case I do meet anyone capable of having an intelligent
conversation!"

That's easy nowadays. Just get a pair of earbuds and stuff the cord down
your front. People will assume you are using a mobile hands free.

A nice idea and, for most, that would be an excellent ruse but since I'm
known for my dislike of mobile phones, that would just make me look as
though I was losing my marbles rather more so than my simply conversing
with myself.

I'd gotten over the novelty of being able to chat to others via a mobile
wireless communication device way back in the late 60s. By the time
affordable mobile phones became available, I was already wise to the fact
that being available via land line, postal and electronic mail just left
to open to unsolicited communications with people and organisations I'd
rather not communicate with.

I could only see ownership of a mobile phone as mostly downside with
very little upside. Since there was never any compelling reason to make
myself available whilst out and about, I was quite happy to forego the
dubious pleasures of owning a mobile phone. If I ever change my mind,
it'll most likely be the result of age related feelings of insecurity.

--
Johnny B Good