Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Age related

I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 3:39 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

no

--
OFCOM know exactly what the hobby is worth..£00.00
Once you see the RSGB logo you know you're blackballed....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Getting up in the night for a pee?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:53:44 +0000, newshound
wrote:

On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Getting up in the night for a pee?

Not getting up in the night and still having a pee.

Went for a haircut today, young woman was making conversation with old
bloke whose hair she was cutting. Have you done all your Christmas
shopping? "Just about" replied the old boy " trouble is we are
having problems planning meals as invited friends keep dying".

Found myself saying "Hope you haven't bought them expensive presents
then". Fortunately I don't think he heard me but she did, nearly
cut his ear off while trying to stifle giggles.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Getting up in the night for a pee?

Not getting up in the night and still having a pee.

Went for a haircut today, young woman was making conversation with old
bloke whose hair she was cutting. Have you done all your Christmas
shopping? "Just about" replied the old boy " trouble is we are
having problems planning meals as invited friends keep dying".

Found myself saying "Hope you haven't bought them expensive presents
then". Fortunately I don't think he heard me but she did, nearly
cut his ear off while trying to stifle giggles.

G.Harman

The correct response was:- "I hope you haven't bought me anything!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:53:44 +0000, newshound wrote:

On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do
what I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it
is locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Getting up in the night for a pee?

Unless he's a really lucky chappie, he's either *not* hit a certain age
or else is wetting the bed. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:

Any other signs.?

The hairs in your ears and nose grow at six foot per week

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah I can identify with that, The other hairs on your body seem to do this as
well, Trapped a load in my flies the other day, hacked them off.
Even my feet have hair now!

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:

Any other signs.?

The hairs in your ears and nose grow at six foot per week

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually being serious for a moment. it is also wise to get your eyes
checked for Age related macular degeneration more often as you age as the
onset is rapid and some forms can be stopped by injections nowadays if you
catch it early enough.
Brian

--
----- -

On 2017-12-12, alan_m wrote:
On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:

Any other signs.?

The hairs in your ears and nose grow at six foot per week

At least you can tie them in a neat bow.

--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 54th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 18:41:21 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Actually being serious for a moment. it is also wise to get your eyes
checked for Age related macular degeneration more often as you age as
the onset is rapid and some forms can be stopped by injections nowadays
if you catch it early enough.

Luckily, I get my eye checked anyway to check that none of the moles in
*that* one have gone bad.

As for getting up in the night to pee - no more. Not after the op in June!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:39:05 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

You save old half full cans of long solidified paint in case they
come in useful one day.

You keep a jam jar full of terminally rusted screws with mangled heads
and put a sticky label on saying "screws" so you can tell them apart
from the jam jar full of rusted bent nails labeled "nails".

Anything you can't identify and have no idea what it ever did you put
in a jar marked "Misc".

You save the 4 spools of strimmer cord which only fitted the strimmer
you threw out 20 years ago.

You start keeping string.

You follow the postman to pick up elastic bands and store them in the
"Elastic Bands" jam jar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 11:49 AM, Peter Parry wrote:
You save old half full cans of long solidified paint in case they
come in useful one day.

You keep a jam jar full of terminally rusted screws with mangled heads
and put a sticky label on saying "screws" so you can tell them apart
from the jam jar full of rusted bent nails labeled "nails".

Anything you can't identify and have no idea what it ever did you put
in a jar marked "Misc".

You save the 4 spools of strimmer cord which only fitted the strimmer
you threw out 20 years ago.

You start keeping string.

You follow the postman to pick up elastic bands and store them in the
"Elastic Bands" jam jar.

As I get older, I've started chucking stuff that I once would have saved
for possible future use. Less future to use it in...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 16:49, Peter Parry wrote:

You follow the postman to pick up elastic bands and store them in the
"Elastic Bands" jam jar.

Mine arrive through the door with the post inside them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

You've missed the container labelled "bits of stringb too short to be
useful"

You follow the postman to pick up elastic bands and store them in the
"Elastic Bands" jam jar.

and very handy they can be.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 17:49, charles wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, by the time you find a use for them, they have gone
brittle and just snap.

I do, however have one keeping the battery cover in place on my
trusty Sony FM kitchen radio.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 16:49, Peter Parry wrote:

You save old half full cans of long solidified paint in case they
come in useful one day.

In the past I kept the left over paint from completed jobs just in case
that something needed a touch up at a later date only to find at this
later date time had taken its toll on the on the original painted
surface and the touch up was a different coloured shade.

You keep a jam jar full of terminally rusted screws with mangled heads
and put a sticky label on saying "screws" so you can tell them apart
from the jam jar full of rusted bent nails labeled "nails".

Never done this and I've no intention of starting. Probably what has
helped is that in the last 30 odd years there has been a family run
hardware shop nearby which sells screws/nails individually or by the box
or weight. A five minute walk and I can get any odd screw nail. I do
however have drawer full of boxes of new screws - but never the ideal
one for the 'quick' job I'm attempting to do.

Anything you can't identify and have no idea what it ever did you put
in a jar marked "Misc".

My "misc" box starts out with stuff I can identify at the time but 10
years on when the other part of the item has been chucked I do wonder
what some miscellaneous bits fit - or did fit.

You save the 4 spools of strimmer cord which only fitted the strimmer
you threw out 20 years ago.

Yes, I have/had a habit of buying 2 or 3 off at a time because they
would be used eventually but neglected to consider something so abused
would have a shorter life span.

You start keeping string.

In a kitchen draw I have a 15 year old ball of string and each week I
cut off a few inches to tie up the plastic rubbish sacks before putting
them out for roadside collection.

You follow the postman to pick up elastic bands and store them in the
"Elastic Bands" jam jar.

The biggest problem that I have is the postman will not discard the
elastic band! If he did the 4 packages bound up would each individually
fit through my letter box with ease. Bound together they result in a
card through the door saying that the package is too large and I have to
make a trip to the sorting office and join the queue wasting 30 to 60
minutes of my time.

Possible not a sign of old age but how many people have a
loft/shed/garage full of empty cardboard boxes that the equipment they
purchased came in? I only keep these boxes for 6 to 8 weeks in case the
equipment fails early (bathtub failure curve) and they afterwards the
boxes get junked - usually broken up and put on the compost heap (first
leave out in the rain in order to easily remove the packing tape)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message
[...]

Definitely not. I have always done this.

but how many people have a loft/shed/garage full of empty cardboard boxes
that the equipment they purchased came in?

One room of a very big house in my case.

I only keep these boxes for 6 to 8 weeks in case the equipment fails early
(bathtub failure curve) and they afterwards the boxes get junked

I dont, because they are very useful if you have to make
a warranty claim and you have to return the dead one
to get the full refund or the replacement with some.

usually broken up and put on the compost heap

Dont have one.

(first leave out in the rain in order to easily remove the packing tape)

Too much plastic in most of the packaging of the stuff I buy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 18:09, alan_m wrote:

Possible not a sign of old age but how many people have a
loft/shed/garage full of empty cardboard boxes that the equipment they
purchased came in?Â* I only keep these boxes for 6 to 8 weeks in case the
equipment fails early (bathtub failure curve) and they afterwards the
boxes get junked - usually broken up and put on the compost heap (first
leave out in the rain in order to easily remove the packing tape)

I've always kept equipment boxes for when I move house. Just put it back
in the original packing and it can be slung in the back of a van or
dropped on the floor. Much better than swathing them in bubble wrap.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 12/12/2017 18:09, alan_m wrote:

Possible not a sign of old age but how many people have a
loft/shed/garage full of empty cardboard boxes that the equipment they
purchased came in? I only keep these boxes for 6 to 8 weeks in case the
equipment fails early (bathtub failure curve) and they afterwards the
boxes get junked - usually broken up and put on the compost heap (first
leave out in the rain in order to easily remove the packing tape)

I've always kept equipment boxes for when I move house. Just put it back
in the original packing and it can be slung in the back of a van or
dropped on the floor. Much better than swathing them in bubble wrap.

If you are old, you'll not want those boxes for moving. No room for
'equipment' in the care home.

-

--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-12, alan_m wrote:
On 12/12/2017 16:49, Peter Parry wrote:

You save old half full cans of long solidified paint in case they
come in useful one day.

In the past I kept the left over paint from completed jobs just in case
that something needed a touch up at a later date only to find at this
later date time had taken its toll on the on the original painted
surface and the touch up was a different coloured shade.

Always assuming you could get the lid off and the contents wasn't either
dried up or full of rust.

I put extra paint in little glass jars. Takes less room, easy to see the
colour, doesn't go rusty (I put a piece of cling film over the top
before screwing down the lid).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-12, S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/12/2017 2:47 PM, Huge wrote:
Always assuming you could get the lid off and the contents wasn't either
dried up or full of rust.

I put extra paint in little glass jars. Takes less room, easy to see the
colour, doesn't go rusty (I put a piece of cling film over the top
before screwing down the lid).

Nice idea, just as long as you make a record of what was in the original
tin in case you need more of it than the jar contains.

Yes. I print out a little label.
I print _lots_ of little labels - I learnt the hard way, that stuff
you're absolutely sure you'll remember, will be forgotten by the time
you need it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-12, S Viemeister wrote:

[...]
[...]
[...]

Nice idea, just as long as you make a record of what was in the
original tin in case you need more of it than the jar contains.

Yes. I print out a little label.
I print _lots_ of little labels - I learnt the hard way, that stuff
you're absolutely sure you'll remember, will be forgotten by the time
you need it.

Heh, I bought a load of swing tags a short while ago, so I can label
things that I might otherwise forget (like the little plastic bottles I
got for applying glue, flux, lubricants - does anyone know how to tell
the difference between sewing machine oil and silicone oil?) but I've
forgotten where I put them ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Parry wrote:
You save old half full cans of long solidified paint in case they
come in useful one day.

I've just cleared out some paint cans for a decor scheme which was changed
near 30 years ago. Must have aged early. ;-)

--
*The statement above is false

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Parry
writes
wrote:

[...]

Buying a new item then remembering you have a jar labelled miscellaneous
with one in it.
You save the 4 spools of strimmer cord which only fitted the strimmer
you threw out 20 years ago.

You start keeping string.

You follow the postman to pick up elastic bands and store them in the
"Elastic Bands" jam jar.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/17 19:26, bert wrote:
In article , Peter Parry
writes
wrote:

I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't
do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

You save old half full cans of longÂ* solidified paint in case they
come in useful one day.

You keep a jam jar full of terminally rusted screws with mangled heads
and put a sticky label on saying "screws" so you can tell them apart
from the jam jar full of rusted bent nails labeled "nails".

Anything you can't identify and have no idea what it ever did you put
in a jar marked "Misc".

Buying a new item then remembering you have a jar labelled miscellaneous
with one in it.
You save the 4 spools of strimmer cord which only fitted the strimmer
you threw out 20 years ago.

You start keeping string.

You follow the postman to pick up elastic bands and store them in the
"Elastic Bands" jam jar.

In my case looking at something, figuring the cost of storing it versus
the cost of replacing it if I ever need it, and throwing it in the bin

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 14 December 2017 20:29:44 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
In my case looking at something, figuring the cost of storing it versus
the cost of replacing it if I ever need it, and throwing it in the bin

Looking at something and deciding it's easier to leave it where it is and ignore it than struggle carrying it down 2 flights of stairs to the bin.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/17 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

That means your remote is old, not you!

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

That's just OCD

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

I look for drips - because about once every 2 months, someone leaves a
tap drizzeling.

Save old batteries.

Only to take to the shop's recycle bin

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

I will unplug certain things if going out all day - and pretty much
everything if going away. Simple risk management.

Any other signs.?

You can get away with sitting in the park with a packet of Wurther's
Originals without everyone thinking you're a creepy pervert. But you
need the full grandad look for that - flat cap, pipe, newspaper, kindly
demeanor.

Not:
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140226154922
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 16:49:38 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

Any other signs.?

You can get away with sitting in the park with a packet of Wurther's
Originals without everyone thinking you're a creepy pervert. But you
need the full grandad look for that - flat cap, pipe, newspaper, kindly
demeanor.

In a similar vein the missus and I have found that you can ride around
on those miniature railways that some parks have without being looked
at strangely because there are no accompanying children.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-12, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/12/17 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do
what I expect it to do?

That means your remote is old, not you!

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it
is locked?

That's just OCD

The keyless unlocking on our last (and final) Range Rover meant you
couldn't do this because it just unlocked again.

THe dealer told me to use the remote to check. However, the side mirrors
folding in is confirmation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

No, but you will probably forget to do those things.

Any other signs.?

Signs of what and will you remember what we say tomorrow?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to DerbyBorn, Iggy wrote:
Forehead Protrusion - Hairline recedes with no evidence left anywhere...no
remedy. Choreography Development - Coughs or sneezes go wrong and blow-out
your back or neck. Blown Seal - Prison breakers discovered on your
underwear...increase your fiber intake. Brain Fart - Leave one room on a
specific mission to retrieve something you know is in another room and get to
the other room wondering why you're there...not often or frequent, but no
remedy. Arm Reading - The days of seeing your fingerprints are tales of myth
and legend...join the 6-eye club.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...d-1256182-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Get half way up the stairs with the phone in your pocket then answer it and
then not remember whether you were going up or down.
Leave the screwdriver in the fridge and the milk in the workshop?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
. 222...
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do
what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Get half way up the stairs with the phone in your pocket then answer it
and then not remember whether you were going up or down.

Never had that, but that might be because I don’t have any stairs.

Leave the screwdriver in the fridge and the milk in the workshop?

Don’t do that at all either.

"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
. 222...
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do
what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:39:05 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

Any other signs.?

I can no longer drink 12 pints a night. Bummer. Nowadays I could only
manage 5 at most, but even that would require a ten-minute **** every
hour throughout the night. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 18:47:49 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
I can no longer drink 12 pints a night.

What I used to spend on 12 pints a night [1] won't buy 2 pints and a packet of nuts now.

Owain

[1] Or could have; I didn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 18:47:49 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
I can no longer drink 12 pints a night.

What I used to spend on 12 pints a night [1] won't buy 2 pints and a
packet of nuts now.

Owain

Has the price of beer in a pub rather leapt ahead of wages since the
banking crash? Or is it just all the cheaper pubs have closed down?

--
*Why do the two "sanction"s (noun and verb) mean opposites?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What I used to spend on 12 pints a night [1] won't buy 2 pints and a
packet of nuts now.

Owain

Has the price of beer in a pub rather leapt ahead of wages since the
banking crash? Or is it just all the cheaper pubs have closed down?

Many badly managed pubs[1] have closed partly because beer in
supermarkets can be purchased for less £1/pint.

There is still a mix of cheaper and expensive pubs around.

[1] having visited a few rural places in the last month or so it was
common to find perhaps two pubs in a village one of which does a very
good trade every day whilst the pub 100 yards away has no trade at all.

On average I was paying less that £3/pint in rural pubs and £1 more in
the larger towns.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 01:26:30 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On average I was paying less that £3/pint in rural pubs and £1 more in
the larger towns.

£2.50 "pensioner" pints locally or £4.50 in the hotel bar.

Used to be 98p; I could count the 2ps the morning after to work out how much I'd drank. (Unless I bought crisps as well, of course)

Owain