Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Age related

On 2017-12-12, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/12/17 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do
what I expect it to do?

That means your remote is old, not you!

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it
is locked?

That's just OCD

The keyless unlocking on our last (and final) Range Rover meant you
couldn't do this because it just unlocked again.

THe dealer told me to use the remote to check. However, the side mirrors
folding in is confirmation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 18:09, alan_m wrote:

Possible not a sign of old age but how many people have a
loft/shed/garage full of empty cardboard boxes that the equipment they
purchased came in?Â* I only keep these boxes for 6 to 8 weeks in case the
equipment fails early (bathtub failure curve) and they afterwards the
boxes get junked - usually broken up and put on the compost heap (first
leave out in the rain in order to easily remove the packing tape)

I've always kept equipment boxes for when I move house. Just put it back
in the original packing and it can be slung in the back of a van or
dropped on the floor. Much better than swathing them in bubble wrap.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Looking at cheap stuff and thinking - "That will see me out"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 15:39:10 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.
Any other signs.?

Carrying heavy things home on the roof-rack no longer seems such a good idea.

You no longer have takeaway menus on the hall table but there's a Wiltshire Farm Foods catalogue in the kitchen.

You notice if the monumental mason has something new in rosy pink granite in the window, but walk straight past Ann Summers.

You wonder which will give out first - the car, your driving licence, or your eyes.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 23:49:36 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
Looking at cheap stuff and thinking - "That will see me out"

Going to the charity shop for clothes: no point buying new as you'll not get the wear out of it.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Parry wrote:
You save old half full cans of long solidified paint in case they
come in useful one day.

I've just cleared out some paint cans for a decor scheme which was changed
near 30 years ago. Must have aged early. ;-)

--
*The statement above is false

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:39:05 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do
what I expect it to do?

That's a given, especially the more "smart" your TV is supposed to be.

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

I've never used that test since ICBA to walk back to the car. I might
still be close enough to see whether the locking buttons have gone down
but usually I cheat by unlocking with the remote and then cycle it to
locked then alarmed.

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

I doubt I'll do that since I've got a well ingrained habit of never
turning taps off any tighter than the minimum required to save on the
cost of replacement tap washers including taking into account the reduced
pressure required for the tap washer to seal on the hot tap after running
a stream of hot water through it.

It's proven an effective strategy since the only tap washers I've ever
had to replace were those on the cast iron bath we acquired 2nd hand from
a relative when we first moved into our current domicile some 35 years
ago. The tap washer change must be about 5 years or so back. The 30 odd
year old kitchen sink taps are still as good as the day we had the
kitchen extension fitted out and these are in constant use.

Save old batteries.

I only save old 'exhausted' AA and AAA types if the battery tester shows
they've still got enough life to power a quartz regulated clock. The PP3s
usually get cannibalised for their terminals if I'm running low on
battery snaps.

I've just recovered 4 Alkaline D cells from a couple of rarely used 3
cell Maglights to power an electric kitchen bin chosen specifically for
its use of D cells over the smaller more expensive battery options of
other makes. I think these D cells must be over 6 years old but apart
from the need to polish the ends with wire wool to remove an almost
invisible film of tarnish, the bin lid opens and closes quite smartly and
has done so for over a month's use with no sign of flagging.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Although I was typically using my desktop PC for 16 hours a day until
just over 2 years ago I would shut it down every night and then switch
the PSU off at the back which also shut off the power to the aux monitor
power socket which also provided power to a a pair of active speakers
which action saved a total of 8 watts standby power from the PSU,
speakers and monitor. Now that I'm running Linux Mint with Kaffeine doing
PVR duty, I rarely bother shutting it down other than using the on/off
button on the monitor. The computer runs 24/7 without standby power
saving as does my NAS4Free box which has been running 24/365 for most of
the past 5 or 6 years.

I've been running a variety of IT kit 24/365 year after year for so long
that the odd tenth of a watt standby with various USB chargers is neither
here nor there. I suppose I *could* give the desktop a full night's rest
most nights but the energy saving is, in the whole scheme of things, so
negligible I don't. If my usage changes sufficiently, I might go back to
a nightly shut down but, for now, ICBA.

Any other signs.?

Newshound has already mentioned the "Getting up in the middle of the
night to go for a pee." thing.

There's always that popular "Going upstairs and forgetting what it was
you'd gone upstairs for." However, that's one that creeps up on most
people long before "Reaching a certain age" so I suspect you're already
only too aware of that.

Since you're a bloke, I doubt the "Forgetting People's Names" is one
that will be any surprise since most men usually manage to never remember
them in the first place due to the ICBA nature of most human males when
it comes to social niceties. However, since this a skill that can be
learnt given enough motivation, you might become distressed once the
motivation disappears in later life - don't worry, that just means you've
broken free of your conditioning and reverted back to normal male
behaviour. :-)

The other one I can think of is collecting remote controls for TV sets
and gadgets you no longer possess. Likewise, keys you no longer have
legitimate access to the locks they once fitted.

You'll probably start vocalising the conversations you have with
yourself that you'd previously had the good sense to keep quiet about.
Don't worry if family members and relatives start pointing this out since
the standard response "Talking to myself is the only form of intelligent
conversation I can get these days! Besides, I need to keep in practice in
case I do meet anyone capable of having an intelligent conversation!"

IME, that seems to shut them up pretty quick and if it doesn't, a lively
conversation usually ensues. Ether way it's a win provided you don't let
the swapping of insults get out of hand.

I can't think of others right now but I'm sure there'll be more, mostly
variations of those already mentioned so far. Life is full of surprises
so your quest for spoilers will no doubt be answered here.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 18:47:49 UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
I can no longer drink 12 pints a night.

What I used to spend on 12 pints a night [1] won't buy 2 pints and a
packet of nuts now.

Owain

Has the price of beer in a pub rather leapt ahead of wages since the
banking crash? Or is it just all the cheaper pubs have closed down?

--
*Why do the two "sanction"s (noun and verb) mean opposites?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 12/12/2017 18:09, alan_m wrote:

Possible not a sign of old age but how many people have a
loft/shed/garage full of empty cardboard boxes that the equipment they
purchased came in? I only keep these boxes for 6 to 8 weeks in case the
equipment fails early (bathtub failure curve) and they afterwards the
boxes get junked - usually broken up and put on the compost heap (first
leave out in the rain in order to easily remove the packing tape)

I've always kept equipment boxes for when I move house. Just put it back
in the original packing and it can be slung in the back of a van or
dropped on the floor. Much better than swathing them in bubble wrap.

If you are old, you'll not want those boxes for moving. No room for
'equipment' in the care home.

-

--
*All men are idiots, and I married their King.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

I am trying to keep my bank accounts well away from my mobile phone.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

What I used to spend on 12 pints a night [1] won't buy 2 pints and a
packet of nuts now.

Owain

Has the price of beer in a pub rather leapt ahead of wages since the
banking crash? Or is it just all the cheaper pubs have closed down?

Many badly managed pubs[1] have closed partly because beer in
supermarkets can be purchased for less £1/pint.

There is still a mix of cheaper and expensive pubs around.

[1] having visited a few rural places in the last month or so it was
common to find perhaps two pubs in a village one of which does a very
good trade every day whilst the pub 100 yards away has no trade at all.

On average I was paying less that £3/pint in rural pubs and £1 more in
the larger towns.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 11:49 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:

Looking at cheap stuff and thinking - "That will see me out"

then finding you have to replace it after all .....

--
OFCOM know exactly what the hobby is worth..£00.00
Once you see the RSGB logo you know you're blackballed....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 3:39 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

saying no point buying any new shirts .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 20:34:08 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/12/2017 20:20, ARW wrote:
On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do
what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Best not to forget to mention how young police officers look these days.

or how short most of em are!

Or of wimpish appearance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 01:26:30 UTC, alan_m wrote:
On average I was paying less that £3/pint in rural pubs and £1 more in
the larger towns.

£2.50 "pensioner" pints locally or £4.50 in the hotel bar.

Used to be 98p; I could count the 2ps the morning after to work out how much I'd drank. (Unless I bought crisps as well, of course)

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 3:39 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

finding you can't get discound with your card on the glasgow underground
before 9am ...*******s

--
OFCOM know exactly what the hobby is worth..£00.00
Once you see the RSGB logo you know you're blackballed....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn posted
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Shouting into the telephone?

--
Jack

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2017 00:25, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:39:05 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

There's always that popular "Going upstairs and forgetting what it was
you'd gone upstairs for." However, that's one that creeps up on most
people long before "Reaching a certain age" so I suspect you're already
only too aware of that.

You just have to come back downstairs to remember. Memories are
localised in space

The other one I can think of is collecting remote controls for TV sets
and gadgets you no longer possess.

If they're the same make as the new ones, /some/ of the buttons will
work, in case the new remote fails.

You'll probably start vocalising the conversations you have with
yourself that you'd previously had the good sense to keep quiet about.
Don't worry if family members and relatives start pointing this out since
the standard response "Talking to myself is the only form of intelligent
conversation I can get these days! Besides, I need to keep in practice in
case I do meet anyone capable of having an intelligent conversation!"

That's easy nowadays. Just get a pair of earbuds and stuff the cord down
your front. People will assume you are using a mobile hands free.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Question comes to mind.
Sit down at PC.
Open browser.
Open Google.
Forgot the question.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
Has the price of beer in a pub rather leapt ahead of wages since the
banking crash? Or is it just all the cheaper pubs have closed down?

Many badly managed pubs[1] have closed partly because beer in
supermarkets can be purchased for less £1/pint.

Not sure it was all down to management. Some very nice small pubs round
here have closed down.

There is still a mix of cheaper and expensive pubs around.

OK. I don't use them much - but was surprised how much a pint now costs in
my nearest one. Which is pretty popular.

[1] having visited a few rural places in the last month or so it was
common to find perhaps two pubs in a village one of which does a very
good trade every day whilst the pub 100 yards away has no trade at all.

On average I was paying less that £3/pint in rural pubs and £1 more in
the larger towns.

I'm trying to remember what an 'average' was when I used pubs regularly. I
sort of stopped using them so much when I retired.

--
*Tell me to 'stuff it' - I'm a taxidermist.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2017 08:10, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I was offered a seat on a tram last week.

I remember the real old trams.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:

On 13/12/2017 08:10, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I was offered a seat on a tram last week.

I remember the real old trams.

I saw them in Leeds and Sheffield, but never rode on them.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Is this in place of checking your phone for new emails every
10 minutes ?.

Or staying up until 4AM to make sure you have the 'last word'
on a contentious UK.D-I-Y topic ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 17:49, charles wrote:
In article ,
Peter Parry wrote:
On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:39:05 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

You save old half full cans of long solidified paint in case they
come in useful one day.

You keep a jam jar full of terminally rusted screws with mangled heads
and put a sticky label on saying "screws" so you can tell them apart
from the jam jar full of rusted bent nails labeled "nails".

Anything you can't identify and have no idea what it ever did you put
in a jar marked "Misc".

You save the 4 spools of strimmer cord which only fitted the strimmer
you threw out 20 years ago.

You start keeping string.

You've missed the container labelled "bits of stringb too short to be
useful"

You follow the postman to pick up elastic bands and store them in the
"Elastic Bands" jam jar.

and very handy they can be.

Unfortunately, by the time you find a use for them, they have gone
brittle and just snap.

I do, however have one keeping the battery cover in place on my
trusty Sony FM kitchen radio.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 13 December 2017 13:35:56 UTC, Andrew wrote:
On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Is this in place of checking your phone for new emails every
10 minutes ?.

Or staying up until 4AM to make sure you have the 'last word'
on a contentious UK.D-I-Y topic ?

Does staying late at work to do the same count ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 20:20, ARW wrote:
On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
I have just hit a certain age.

Will I start to:

Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do
what
I expect it to do?

Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

Keep giving the taps an additional bit of a turn whenever I go near the
sink.

Save old batteries.

Not leave anything on Stand-by.

Any other signs.?

Best not to forget to mention how young police officers look these days.

You watch the Real Marigold Hotel, and think 'I remember when Jan
Leeming wore such amazing ear-rings when she read the news'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 15:39, DerbyBorn wrote:
Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it to check it is
locked?

I've just discovered that the remote key fob for my Astra estate also
shuts the windows that I forgot to close after leaving and locking the
car. All the time i have been going back, sticking the key in the ign
just activate the door buttons. :-)

Handy last weekend after I left the rear windows ajar to release
condensation from the previous days use. Sunday was wet'n windy so
I just pointed the fob out of the house front window, pressed the button
for the alleged 5 seconds and hey presto up went the windows.

Since then we have had -6, so I expect the battery will be flat now :-(.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:36:22 -0500

On 2017-12-12, S Viemeister wrote:

[...]
[...]
[...]

Nice idea, just as long as you make a record of what was in the
original tin in case you need more of it than the jar contains.

Yes. I print out a little label.
I print _lots_ of little labels - I learnt the hard way, that stuff
you're absolutely sure you'll remember, will be forgotten by the time
you need it.

Heh, I bought a load of swing tags a short while ago, so I can label
things that I might otherwise forget (like the little plastic bottles I
got for applying glue, flux, lubricants - does anyone know how to tell
the difference between sewing machine oil and silicone oil?) but I've
forgotten where I put them ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Clarke wrote:
On 13/12/2017 08:10, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I was offered a seat on a tram last week.

I remember the real old trams.

Open top front and back in Aberdeen. Just what you need this weather.

--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
Or staying up until 4AM to make sure you have the 'last word'
on a contentious UK.D-I-Y topic ?

Does staying late at work to do the same count ?

Suppose early afternoon is quite late for you. ;-)

--
*Don't squat with your spurs on *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/13/2017 3:43 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Mike Clarke wrote:
On 13/12/2017 08:10, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I was offered a seat on a tram last week.

I remember the real old trams.

Open top front and back in Aberdeen. Just what you need this weather.

best waiting for a cunarder ....

--
OFCOM know exactly what the hobby is worth..£00.00
Once you see the RSGB logo you know you're blackballed....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* Mike Clarke wrote:
On 13/12/2017 08:10, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I was offered a seat on a tram last week.

I remember the real old trams.

Open top front and back in Aberdeen. Just what you need this weather.

best waiting for a cunarder ....

put a penny on the line glasgow 1962 ...

--
OFCOM know exactly what the hobby is worth..£00.00
Once you see the RSGB logo you know you're blackballed....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

I wear a neckband headset on the garage sale run and hardly
anyone doesnt think I am talking to them when I am in fact
talking to one of the other garage salers on the phone.