Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Stop cock won't turn off

Stop cock won't turn off. I hesitate to try too much brute force. Any
suggestions? WD40. Blow torch. Anything else?

Failing that, I may get to use my Aladdin!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

GB Wrote in message:
Stop cock won't turn off. I hesitate to try too much brute force. Any
suggestions? WD40. Blow torch. Anything else?

Failing that, I may get to use my Aladdin!

Which one?

How are you attempting to turn it?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 12/12/2017 00:08, jim wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
Stop cock won't turn off. I hesitate to try too much brute force. Any
suggestions? WD40. Blow torch. Anything else?

Failing that, I may get to use my Aladdin!

Which one?

There's only one Aladdin.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/aladdin-e...ter-pack/36008

How are you attempting to turn it?

So far, I have tried turning the stop cock by hand and tried with a
spanner on the handle. It feels quite solid.

I think the stop cock was probably replaced about ten years ago, as it
doesn't look corroded. It's just been sitting there unloved for ten years.

Also, knowing who last used it, when he turned it on he probably turned
it fully on until it wouldn't turn any further.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mine is jammed as well, its in the cupboard under the stairs and seems to be
just hanging on two bits of lead pipe, so trying to turn it could result in
a flood. I'll have to ask Thames if they know how the new fangled meter in
the road stopcock works before I use any force on the thing. Its their
bloody limescale ridden hard water that causes all this grief in he first
place. Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"GB" wrote in message
news
On 12/12/2017 00:08, jim wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
Stop cock won't turn off. I hesitate to try too much brute force. Any
suggestions? WD40. Blow torch. Anything else?

Failing that, I may get to use my Aladdin!

Which one?

There's only one Aladdin.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/aladdin-e...ter-pack/36008

How are you attempting to turn it?

So far, I have tried turning the stop cock by hand and tried with a
spanner on the handle. It feels quite solid.

I think the stop cock was probably replaced about ten years ago, as it
doesn't look corroded. It's just been sitting there unloved for ten years.

Also, knowing who last used it, when he turned it on he probably turned it
fully on until it wouldn't turn any further.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 05:19, GB wrote:
On 12/12/2017 00:08, jim wrote:

So far, I have tried turning the stop cock by hand and tried with a
spanner on the handle. It feels quite solid.

I think the stop cock was probably replaced about ten years ago, as it
doesn't look corroded. It's just been sitting there unloved for ten years.

Also, knowing who last used it, when he turned it on he probably turned
it fully on until it wouldn't turn any further.

Try undoing the nut by half a turn where the spindle goes into the body
of the stopcock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2017 22:20, GB wrote:
Stop cock won't turn off. I hesitate to try too much brute force. Any
suggestions? WD40. Blow torch. Anything else?

Failing that, I may get to use my Aladdin!

Penetrating oil, slackening the gland nut a little may help. Then see if
you can work it back and forth a bit. Also make sure when opening a stop
cock, to back away half a turn from the fully open position before
leaving it for an extended period. That way its a bit less likely to get
stuck in the fully open position.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/12/2017 22:20, GB wrote:
Stop cock won't turn off. I hesitate to try too much brute force. Any
suggestions? WD40. Blow torch. Anything else?

Is this (a) stop cock inside the house or (b) stop cock outside house
in supply pipe? If (a) then turn off (b) - or at least make sure you
can turn it off - before becoming "vigorous".

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

/New Year Resolution to everyone - Check your Stop Tap works. Ensure it is
not quite turned hard on. (Half a turn makes no difference to the flow).
Give it a squirt of something.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 12/12/2017 08:35, alan_m wrote:
On 12/12/2017 05:19, GB wrote:
On 12/12/2017 00:08, jim wrote:

So far, I have tried turning the stop cock by hand and tried with a
spanner on the handle. It feels quite solid.

I think the stop cock was probably replaced about ten years ago, as it
doesn't look corroded. It's just been sitting there unloved for ten
years.

Also, knowing who last used it, when he turned it on he probably
turned it fully on until it wouldn't turn any further.

Try undoing the nut by half a turn where the spindle goes into the body
of the stopcock.

Loosening the gland, I had forgotten that. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 05:19, GB wrote:
On 12/12/2017 00:08, jim wrote:

So far, I have tried turning the stop cock by hand and tried with a
spanner on the handle. It feels quite solid.

I think the stop cock was probably replaced about ten years ago, as
it doesn't look corroded. It's just been sitting there unloved for
ten years.

Also, knowing who last used it, when he turned it on he probably
turned it fully on until it wouldn't turn any further.

Try undoing the nut by half a turn where the spindle goes into the
body of the stopcock.

Loosening the gland, I had forgotten that. Thanks.

If it has one and not oring type.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 08:50:12 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

On 11/12/2017 22:20, GB wrote:
Stop cock won't turn off. I hesitate to try too much brute force. Any
suggestions? WD40. Blow torch. Anything else?

Failing that, I may get to use my Aladdin!

Penetrating oil, slackening the gland nut a little may help. Then see if
you can work it back and forth a bit. Also make sure when opening a stop
cock, to back away half a turn from the fully open position before
leaving it for an extended period. That way its a bit less likely to get
stuck in the fully open position.

Very sage advice since it will also give you some 'wriggle room' to try
turning it in either direction to get it to unstick the next time you
might need to shut it off in another ten years or so.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

..

Not turning it hard to the fully open means that the clearances in the
threads are relaxed - rather than the thrust pressure being hard onto the
flanks if you see what I mean.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:03:54 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

.

Not turning it hard to the fully open means that the clearances in the
threads are relaxed - rather than the thrust pressure being hard onto
the flanks if you see what I mean.

I do understand that important point. I just thought it worth mentioning
the side benefit of having two directions available for 'wriggling' the
the tap free. IOW, not just *one* good reason to back off a half or
quarter turn from fully on but *two*! :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 4:11:11 PM UTC, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 10:03:54 +0000, DerbyBorn wrote:

.

Not turning it hard to the fully open means that the clearances in the
threads are relaxed - rather than the thrust pressure being hard onto
the flanks if you see what I mean.

I do understand that important point. I just thought it worth mentioning
the side benefit of having two directions available for 'wriggling' the
the tap free. IOW, not just *one* good reason to back off a half or
quarter turn from fully on but *two*! :-)

--
Johnny B Good

AFAIK water authorities are obliged to provide you with a stopcock in the road. They will usually come along within a couple of days and either unearth the original or put a new one in. How else could you ever replace your internal stopcock?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Our stopcock is now just inside our garden along with the meter. Water was
turned off by clamping the plastic feed.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/13/2017 11:54 AM, stuart noble wrote:

AFAIK water authorities are obliged to provide you with a stopcock in the road. They will usually come along within a couple of days and either unearth the original or put a new one in. How else could you ever replace your internal stopcock?

Do you know if there's a charge for that? (in Scotland)

I wanted to turn off the water before the rising main under the sink
(it's begun to drip a bit) and when I got out my trusty long-handled
stopcock turner, I found that the outside stopcock appeared to be
'frozen' - it hasn't been used in at least 14 years. I don't want to
force it. It's down a fairly deep hole, so access isn't easy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 00:08, jim wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
Stop cock won't turn off. I hesitate to try too much brute force. Any
suggestions? WD40. Blow torch. Anything else?

Failing that, I may get to use my Aladdin!

Which one?

How are you attempting to turn it?

Hopefully clockwise....

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2017 09:43, Robin wrote:
On 11/12/2017 22:20, GB wrote:
Stop cock won't turn off. I hesitate to try too much brute force. Any
suggestions? WD40. Blow torch. Anything else?

Is this (a) stop cock insideÂ* the house or (b) stop cock outside house
in supply pipe?Â* If (a) then turn off (b) - or at least make sure you
can turn it off - before becoming "vigorous".

When I swapped mine (a) there was zero chance of a full swap as the
copper had no play in it. So I turned off (b) and just swapped the
innards of (a).

Although the SureStop is also worth considering as an addition to the
brass one if you need to turn the water off a lot - eg my parents
holiday home insurance requires the water to be turned off when the
place is unoccupied. It's now just turned off by a simple switch high up
at the front of a kitchen cupboard with non of that kneeling down and
moving the contents of the kitchen cupboard stuff that they had to do
before.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2017 16:54, stuart noble wrote:

AFAIK water authorities are obliged to provide you with a stopcock in the road. They will usually come along within a couple of days and either unearth the original or put a new one in. How else could you ever replace your internal stopcock?

They may install a water meter at the same time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2017 17:25, S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/13/2017 11:54 AM, stuart noble wrote:

AFAIK water authorities are obliged to provide you with a stopcock in
the road. They will usually come along within a couple of days and
either unearth the original or put a new one in. How else could you
ever replace your internal stopcock?

Do you know if there's a charge for that? (in Scotland)

According to Scottish Water's website, the street (property boundary)
stopcock and meter are theirs and "We are responsible for the
maintenance and repair of both the stopcock and the water meter."

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/13/2017 5:29 PM, Steve Walker wrote:
On 13/12/2017 17:25, S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/13/2017 11:54 AM, stuart noble wrote:

AFAIK water authorities are obliged to provide you with a stopcock in
the road. They will usually come along within a couple of days and
either unearth the original or put a new one in. How else could you
ever replace your internal stopcock?

Do you know if there's a charge for that? (in Scotland)

According to Scottish Water's website, the street (property boundary)
stopcock and meter are theirs and "We are responsible for the
maintenance and repair of both the stopcock and the water meter."

No street (a very rural area). The water main runs at an angle across
the field in front of the house. The stopcock is out behind the kitchen,
and there's no meter, we pay a flat yearly fee. Still, I suppose it
wouldn't hurt to ask them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/12/2017 22:20, GB wrote:
[...]

If I could turn off a stopcock elsewhere, there wouldn't be a problem.
However, this is in a 1930s block of flats. The incoming mains comes
through the wall from a neighbouring flat (in a very corroded iron
pipe). Goodness knows whether there's a working stop cock the other side
of the wall.

I did turn off the stop cock under the sink in a different flat, then
got complaints from upstairs that they had no water!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-14, GB wrote:

[30 lines snipped]

I did turn off the stop cock under the sink in a different flat, then
got complaints from upstairs that they had no water!

*grin* In our last house our neighbours turned off their water and we
lost ours, too. Turned out our main was tee'd off theirs *after* the
external stopcock.

Some people may have heard this before, but...

Our supply had another supply tee'd off it after the external stopcock.
Internal one was jammed, so our plumber (tricky job I wasn't going to
attempt) turned it off externally.

Apparently this interrupted an 'assisted shower' in the brothel next door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2017 19:20, ARW wrote:

Although the SureStop is also worth considering

I've seen and like them; and fitting one is on my list of "things it'd
be kind to do before I die". I do just worry though that doing so will
reduce reasons 'er indoors has not to put arsenic in me tea

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-12-14, GB wrote:

[30 lines snipped]

I did turn off the stop cock under the sink in a different flat, then
got complaints from upstairs that they had no water!

*grin* In our last house our neighbours turned off their water and we
lost ours, too. Turned out our main was tee'd off theirs *after* the
external stopcock.

Some people may have heard this before, but...

Our supply had another supply tee'd off it after the external stopcock.
Internal one was jammed, so our plumber (tricky job I wasn't going to
attempt) turned it off externally.

Apparently this interrupted an 'assisted shower' in the brothel next
door.

Tee-hee.

I'll write down the whole story one day, including the shotgun siege and
the stuff through the letterbox.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 12:25:03 -0500
S Viemeister wrote:

I wanted to turn off the water before the rising main under the sink
(it's begun to drip a bit) and when I got out my trusty long-handled
stopcock turner, I found that the outside stopcock appeared to be
'frozen' - it hasn't been used in at least 14 years. I don't want to
force it. It's down a fairly deep hole, so access isn't easy.

The last time I turned off our external stopcock, which is buried in the
back garden and operated with a long handle, the whole thing unscrewed
when I turned it back on again. Fortunately there's a new one in the
street since they replaced the main.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Morley wrote in

S Viemeister wrote:

I wanted to turn off the water before the rising main under the sink
(it's begun to drip a bit) and when I got out my trusty long-handled
stopcock turner, I found that the outside stopcock appeared to be
'frozen' - it hasn't been used in at least 14 years. I don't want to
force it. It's down a fairly deep hole, so access isn't easy.

The last time I turned off our external stopcock, which is buried in the
back garden and operated with a long handle, the whole thing unscrewed
when I turned it back on again. Fortunately there's a new one in the
street since they replaced the main.

Odd - something must have had a left-hand thread
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:

I wanted to turn off the water before the rising main under the sink
(it's begun to drip a bit) and when I got out my trusty long-handled
stopcock turner, I found that the outside stopcock appeared to be
'frozen' - it hasn't been used in at least 14 years. I don't want to
force it. It's down a fairly deep hole, so access isn't easy.

The last time I turned off our external stopcock, which is buried in the
back garden and operated with a long handle, the whole thing unscrewed
when I turned it back on again. Fortunately there's a new one in the
street since they replaced the main.

That's the sort of thing I'm afraid might happen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

S Viemeister wrote:

I wanted to turn off the water before the rising main under the sink
(it's begun to drip a bit) and when I got out my trusty long-handled
stopcock turner, I found that the outside stopcock appeared to be
'frozen' - it hasn't been used in at least 14 years. I don't want to
force it. It's down a fairly deep hole, so access isn't easy.

The last time I turned off our external stopcock, which is buried in the
back garden and operated with a long handle, the whole thing unscrewed
when I turned it back on again. Fortunately there's a new one in the
street since they replaced the main.

That's the sort of thing I'm afraid might happen.

When we needed to turn of our water to replace either a leaking
electrically-controlled valve in the shower or else the ball valve in the
loo, the stop tap under the sink had seized. I fractured the brass tap
handle in trying to turn it, and rounded off the flattened end of the
spindle that it had been attached to. We needed to call in a plumber who had
to turn off the water company stop tap in the street so he could cut the
rising main in the house and insert a second tap downstream of the seized
one. He did that rather than remove and replace the old tap because one end
was welded onto lead pipe and he have had to dismantle the kitchen cupboards
to work on it.

Tuning off the stop tap in the road was fun because one tap controls all the
water to two terraces each of three houses, so we had to warn everyone that
their water would be off for a little while.

Is there any reason why a shared supply from a single stop tap in the road
would mean that we couldn't have a water meter? Surely they'd just insert it
downstream of the point where the common pipe diverges into the feeds to
each house, probably close to the point where it rises into the house.
Evidently not because the water company say that a shared stop tap means you
can never have a meter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:

[...]

Youth of today! Even I can do a lead to brass wiped joint, even though
I don't think I'd atttempt a lead to lead one. Don't know how common
the requisite brass fitting is though, assuming the original one was
part of the tap.

Tuning off the stop tap in the road was fun because one tap controls all the
water to two terraces each of three houses, so we had to warn everyone that
their water would be off for a little while.

Is there any reason why a shared supply from a single stop tap in the road
would mean that we couldn't have a water meter? Surely they'd just insert it
downstream of the point where the common pipe diverges into the feeds to
each house, probably close to the point where it rises into the house.
Evidently not because the water company say that a shared stop tap means you
can never have a meter.

It follows, because if they could do this they could fit three new
stoptaps which would mean you didn't have a shared stop tap anymore! I
assume in practice it means the branches are not in convenient places.
Or even known places.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:

[...]

Really depends on how practical it is to have the water meters there.

Evidently not because the water company say that a shared stop tap means
you can never have a meter.

That might just be a quick and dirty blanket approach
done instead of the much more expensive approach
of deciding if its practical to have meters after it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2017 00:39, S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/13/2017 5:29 PM, Steve Walker wrote:
On 13/12/2017 17:25, S Viemeister wrote:
On 12/13/2017 11:54 AM, stuart noble wrote:

AFAIK water authorities are obliged to provide you with a stopcock
in the road. They will usually come along within a couple of days
and either unearth the original or put a new one in. How else could
you ever replace your internal stopcock?

Do you know if there's a charge for that? (in Scotland)

According to Scottish Water's website, the street (property boundary)
stopcock and meter are theirs and "We are responsible for the
maintenance and repair of both the stopcock and the water meter."

No street (a very rural area). The water main runs at an angle across
the field in front of the house. The stopcock is out behind the kitchen,
and there's no meter, we pay a flat yearly fee. Still, I suppose it
wouldn't hurt to ask them.

It should make no difference, from the main upto and including the
external stoptap is still theirs. The water meter is immaterial as it
only applies if there is one. I only left it in the text as I didn't
want to remove the word "both" and so misquote the text.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/14/2017 6:47 PM, Steve Walker wrote:

It should make no difference, from the main upto and including the
external stoptap is still theirs. The water meter is immaterial as it
only applies if there is one. I only left it in the text as I didn't
want to remove the word "both" and so misquote the text.

I'll need to call them, then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ZfCdnU-6
,
says...

Is there any reason why a shared supply from a single stop tap in the road
would mean that we couldn't have a water meter? Surely they'd just insert it
downstream of the point where the common pipe diverges into the feeds to
each house, probably close to the point where it rises into the house.
Evidently not because the water company say that a shared stop tap means you
can never have a meter.

In the house I grew up in, the stop cock fed the house next
door. The pipe entered under theit front door and ran all
the way to the kitchen at the back and then to the (outside)
loo.

From there it went though the wall into our loo and then
doubled back into our kitchen.

Our houses were very old - the one next door only had gas
lighting until the original owner died and it changed hands.

However, my wife spent all her school days in a house built
in the early 50s where the water was daisy chained in a
similar manner through another two houses before it giot to
them!

Obviously, although we could have had a water meter fitted
where the water entered our loo, our neighbour could only
have a meter that measured the supply to both houses.

I suppose with two meters, the reading from our meter could
be subtracted from the joint reading to give a figure for
next door but in my wife's case it the calculations would
start to get very interesting!

--

Terry

---
http://www.avg.com

And today's brilliant cock up at work - better than BAs cock up ARW[_2_] UK diy 31 June 13th 17 04:29 PM
outside stop cock doesn't stop water when turned. Clare UK diy 13 July 19th 09 06:37 PM
noisy plumbing and no stop cock! Micko UK diy 2 April 20th 04 10:27 AM
Stop cock leaking Rich UK diy 7 September 29th 03 01:45 PM
Slow leak on compression joint - can't access stop cock The Natural Philosopher UK diy 4 July 10th 03 02:34 PM