Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW[_2_] ARW[_2_] is offline

Default Stop cock won't turn off

On 12/12/2017 09:43, Robin wrote:
On 11/12/2017 22:20, GB wrote:
Stop cock won't turn off. I hesitate to try too much brute force. Any
suggestions? WD40. Blow torch. Anything else?

Is this (a) stop cock insideÂ* the house or (b) stop cock outside house
in supply pipe?Â* If (a) then turn off (b) - or at least make sure you
can turn it off - before becoming "vigorous".

When I swapped mine (a) there was zero chance of a full swap as the
copper had no play in it. So I turned off (b) and just swapped the
innards of (a).

Although the SureStop is also worth considering as an addition to the
brass one if you need to turn the water off a lot - eg my parents
holiday home insurance requires the water to be turned off when the
place is unoccupied. It's now just turned off by a simple switch high up
at the front of a kitchen cupboard with non of that kneeling down and
moving the contents of the kitchen cupboard stuff that they had to do
before.

--
Adam