Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Stop cock won't turn off

Mine is jammed as well, its in the cupboard under the stairs and seems to be
just hanging on two bits of lead pipe, so trying to turn it could result in
a flood. I'll have to ask Thames if they know how the new fangled meter in
the road stopcock works before I use any force on the thing. Its their
bloody limescale ridden hard water that causes all this grief in he first
place. Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"GB" wrote in message
news
On 12/12/2017 00:08, jim wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
Stop cock won't turn off. I hesitate to try too much brute force. Any
suggestions? WD40. Blow torch. Anything else?

Failing that, I may get to use my Aladdin!

Which one?

There's only one Aladdin.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/aladdin-e...ter-pack/36008

How are you attempting to turn it?

So far, I have tried turning the stop cock by hand and tried with a
spanner on the handle. It feels quite solid.

I think the stop cock was probably replaced about ten years ago, as it
doesn't look corroded. It's just been sitting there unloved for ten years.

Also, knowing who last used it, when he turned it on he probably turned it
fully on until it wouldn't turn any further.