Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default help with pub quiz needed

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 06:57:33 +0000, alan_m
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

On 10/11/2017 21:52, Graham. wrote:

My favourite is "What is the legal age for drinking alcohol?"
A 18
B 21
C 60

The answer is of course C.

All of the above?

So you are advocating giving 18 and 21 month old babies alcoholic
beverages?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Graham." wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 06:57:33 +0000, alan_m
coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful
comprehension...

On 10/11/2017 21:52, Graham. wrote:

My favourite is "What is the legal age for drinking alcohol?"
A 18
B 21
C 60

The answer is of course C.

All of the above?

So you are advocating giving 18 and 21 month old babies alcoholic
beverages?

So is 60 months / 5 years the legal minimum age for drinking alcohol? I
never knew there was a minimum age in private. Of course in Victorian ages,
"daffy" (watered-down gin) was used to pacify babies - as referred to in
many of Dickens' novels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 11/11/17 10:09, GB wrote:

I guess its all about where you define national boundaries.

Is there any significant land area that is in dispute? Sufficient to
change the order, I mean. Those little tiny islands the Chinese have
built won't make any difference.

well I am thinking of Russia/Mongolia

I wasn't aware that Russia claimed Mongolia.

But it matters not, Russia is the largest country by a mile without it.

and China/Thibet etc etc.

Tibet is "officially" part of China despite people thinking that it
shouldn't be, so any measure of China's size already includes it

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 11 November 2017 17:01:46 UTC, Graham. wrote:
So you are advocating giving 18 and 21 month old babies alcoholic
beverages?

Gripe water (the proper 3.6% alcohol) never did me any harm.

I wasn't allowed sherry until I was about 5.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Tim Lamb Wrote in message:
In message , TimW
writes

That's my anonymity blown for all time round here.

Join the club:-)

Says you turnip!
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/17 18:24, tim... wrote:

news
On 11/11/17 10:09, GB wrote:

I guess its all about where you define national boundaries.

Is there any significant land area that is in dispute? Sufficient to
change the order, I mean. Those little tiny islands the Chinese have
built won't make any difference.

well I am thinking of Russia/Mongolia

I wasn't aware that Russia claimed Mongolia.

No, it jhust runs it anyway ;-)

But it matters not, Russia is the largest country by a mile without it.

and China/Thibet etc etc.

Tibet is "officially" part of China despite people thinking that it
shouldn't be, so any measure of China's size already includes it

As in 'claimed'

Anyway the point was that there are often ambiguities in quiz questions.

I.e what is the common factor between:

Horsely
Blenheim
Lancaster
Halifax

?

There are two correct answers at least.

tim

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:38:37 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

snip

Macpherson spring motor mechanic

I would have thought a 'motor mechanic' would actually say
'MacPherson strut'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacPherson_strut

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Anyway the point was that there are often ambiguities in quiz questions.

I.e what is the common factor between:

Horsely
Blenheim
Lancaster
Halifax

?

There are two correct answers at least.

I'd never heard of the Hawker Horsley, but google found it.

And what's the other?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 18:52:50 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

snip

Q Polelathe - A Wood turner

So, would a 'Bodger' come under that title and therefore be an
acceptable answer also?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 November 2017 09:27:38 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I.e what is the common factor between:
Horsely
Blenheim
Lancaster
Halifax

I know 3 of then are oil fields

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:

Anyway the point was that there are often ambiguities in quiz questions.

I.e what is the common factor between:

Horsely
Blenheim
Lancaster
Halifax

?

There are two correct answers at least.

I'd never heard of the Hawker Horsley, but google found it.

Since the owner of the Hawker Aircraft company (Tommy Sopwith) lived in
East Horsley, it not a surprising choice of name. There's a model of the
plane in the hallway of Horsley Towers (now a hotel)

And what's the other?

There are or were all bombers

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Q Polelathe - A Wood turner

So, would a 'Bodger' come under that title and therefore be an
acceptable answer also?

It is not exclusively a bodger's tool, so that would be up to the
question master's discretion.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/17 12:40, charles wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:

Anyway the point was that there are often ambiguities in quiz questions.

I.e what is the common factor between:

Horsely
Blenheim
Lancaster
Halifax

?

There are two correct answers at least.

I'd never heard of the Hawker Horsley, but google found it.

Since the owner of the Hawker Aircraft company (Tommy Sopwith) lived in
East Horsley, it not a surprising choice of name. There's a model of the
plane in the hallway of Horsley Towers (now a hotel)

Is there by gum.

And what's the other?

There are or were all bombers

Indeed.

And all from different manufacturers:

Hawker, Bristol, Avro, Handley Page.

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2017 18:22, Andy Burns wrote:
TimW wrote:

I need two rounds of ten questions each.
I am thinking of a round on brexit and the EU

Sounds like a recipe for a bar-room brawl

Like asking "Who created the Daleks?"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Q Polelathe - A Wood turner

So, would a 'Bodger' come under that title and therefore be an
acceptable answer also?

It is not exclusively a bodger's tool,

Agreed.

so that would be up to the
question master's discretion.

I think the problems can arise when the quizmaster doesn't actually
know (for example) that 'a Bodger' was actually a trade (and would be
a valid answer to the 'who would use a Polelathe' question, unless
they can take time out to look such things up or get a vote from the
floor (assuming anyone else knows it etc)?

In fact I wondered how often that sort of situation comes up on the
likes of Mastermind or University Challenge and assuming they aren't
live, how often (therefore) they have to stop for verification?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
GB wrote:

Anyway the point was that there are often ambiguities in quiz
questions.

I.e what is the common factor between:

Horsely
Blenheim
Lancaster
Halifax

?

There are two correct answers at least.

I'd never heard of the Hawker Horsley, but google found it.

Since the owner of the Hawker Aircraft company (Tommy Sopwith) lived in
East Horsley, it not a surprising choice of name. There's a model of the
plane in the hallway of Horsley Towers (now a hotel)

And what's the other?

There are or were all bombers

isn't that just a different way of expressing the same answer?

a bit like what do

Fiesta, Capri, Granada and Sierra have in common?

they are all Fords

oh and they are all cars

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/17 14:12, tim... wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Â* GB wrote:

Anyway the point was that there are often ambiguities in quiz
questions.

I.e what is the common factor between:

Horsely
Blenheim
Lancaster
Halifax

?

There are two correct answers at least.

I'd never heard of the Hawker Horsley, but google found it.

Since the owner of the Hawker Aircraft company (Tommy Sopwith) lived in
East Horsley, it not a surprising choice of name. There's a model of the
plane in the hallway of Horsley Towers (now a hotel)

And what's the other?

There are or were all bombers

isn't that just a different way of expressing the same answer?

They are all places in britain too.

a bit like what do

Fiesta, Capri, Granada and Sierra have in common?

they are all Fords

oh and they are all cars

tim

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 13:23:42 +0000, T i m wrote:

In fact I wondered how often that sort of situation comes up on the
likes of Mastermind or University Challenge and assuming they aren't
live, how often (therefore) they have to stop for verification?

A friend of mine got into an argument with Jeremy Paxman on one of the
Christmas University Challenge programmes (the ones with academics on the
teams).

The answer given by Jamie was UNIX, but Paxman insisted it was Linux, and
wouldn't allow it. I believe the discussion and clarification took about
10 minutes. The re-done version was broadcast, and Paxman couldn't resist
saying "or Linux".

https://youtu.be/tZTWvBDbQoM?t=9m8s

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 11/11/2017 11:56, Robin wrote:
On 11/11/2017 11:42, Max Demian wrote:

What if a term is used in more than one trade or profession?
(Paternoster is a kind of lift, for a start.)

the quizmaster urges everyone to calm down and have a noggin before
anyone gets their noggin knocked in with a nogging[1]?

[1] traditional spelling for the carpentry sense

Hawk has been suggested twice for plasterers, but don't brickies use one
too?

Rarely. A brickie has his muck on a spot board, a couple of shovelfuls
at a time when bricklaying.
When pointing he uses much smaller amounts usually of the back of an
upturned bricklayers trowel. A hawk is too big.

Wall rendering, another use of a hawk, is normally done by the plasterer
so that he can get the surface how he wants it and just exactly when in
terms of the render drying time to apply a skim coat of plaster. Usually
the next day no later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2017 14:44, Bob Eager wrote:

https://youtu.be/tZTWvBDbQoM?t=9m8s

With apologies for thread drift (OK, steaming off at a right angle), in
that clip I heard the discussion before the answers, just like I can't
in the current series. Is it me or is it them pl?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tim... wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
GB wrote:

[...]

the Lancaster was made by Avro, the Blenheim by Bristol & then Halifax by
Handley Page - so no similarity there, but yes they were all aeroplanes.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 12/11/17 14:12, tim... wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
GB wrote:

Anyway the point was that there are often ambiguities in quiz
questions.

I.e what is the common factor between:

Horsely
Blenheim
Lancaster
Halifax

?

There are two correct answers at least.

I'd never heard of the Hawker Horsley, but google found it.

Since the owner of the Hawker Aircraft company (Tommy Sopwith) lived in
East Horsley, it not a surprising choice of name. There's a model of the
plane in the hallway of Horsley Towers (now a hotel)

And what's the other?

There are or were all bombers

isn't that just a different way of expressing the same answer?

They are all places in britain too.

I think that's a very loose similarity

Blenheim is a stately home (when considering the UK)

the other three are towns (or cities)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Nov 2017 14:44:09 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 13:23:42 +0000, T i m wrote:

In fact I wondered how often that sort of situation comes up on the
likes of Mastermind or University Challenge and assuming they aren't
live, how often (therefore) they have to stop for verification?

A friend of mine got into an argument with Jeremy Paxman on one of the
Christmas University Challenge programmes (the ones with academics on the
teams).

The answer given by Jamie was UNIX, but Paxman insisted it was Linux, and
wouldn't allow it. I believe the discussion and clarification took about
10 minutes.

Ah, so they do do that then, thanks.

The re-done version was broadcast, and Paxman couldn't resist
saying "or Linux".

https://youtu.be/tZTWvBDbQoM?t=9m8s

;-)

So, as I don't really know either UNIX or Linux (especially the
background etc) I'll take it that either was the correct answer and so
if an answer of 'UNIX' was given and accepted (finally) then (playing
devils advocate) I guess it was reasonable to include / confirm Linux
as an alternative correct answer?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 12/11/2017 16:41, tim... wrote:

news
On 12/11/17 14:12, tim... wrote:

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
Â* GB wrote:

[...]

They all contain two different vowels, but I'd feel short-changed by
that answer, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 17:51:24 +0000, T i m wrote:

[...]

I guess so. The 'clues' apply to both. UNIX was a proprietary operating
system, but it is now a trademark. Linux is a jumped up UNIX wannabe
[it looks almost the same but is different inside]

Loosely, people use the UNIX term to describe both, but actual systems
that can be called UNIX (trademark-legally) are relatively rare, except
in installed numbers - for example, MACOS is legally UNIX.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
news
GB wrote:
On 11/11/2017 11:56, Robin wrote:
On 11/11/2017 11:42, Max Demian wrote:

What if a term is used in more than one trade or profession?
(Paternoster is a kind of lift, for a start.)

the quizmaster urges everyone to calm down and have a noggin before
anyone gets their noggin knocked in with a nogging[1]?

[1] traditional spelling for the carpentry sense

Hawk has been suggested twice for plasterers, but don't brickies use one
too?

Rarely. A brickie has his muck on a spot board, a couple of shovelfuls at
a time when bricklaying.

When pointing he uses much smaller amounts usually of the back of an
upturned bricklayers trowel.

Never do it that way myself.

A hawk is too big.

Yes.

Wall rendering, another use of a hawk, is normally done by the plasterer
so that he can get the surface how he wants it and just exactly when in
terms of the render drying time to apply a skim coat of plaster. Usually
the next day no later.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Nov 2017 18:21:23 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

So, as I don't really know either UNIX or Linux (especially the
background etc) I'll take it that either was the correct answer and so
if an answer of 'UNIX' was given and accepted (finally) then (playing
devils advocate) I guess it was reasonable to include / confirm Linux as
an alternative correct answer?

I guess so. The 'clues' apply to both. UNIX was a proprietary operating
system, but it is now a trademark. Linux is a jumped up UNIX wannabe

You know you said that out loud Bob? ;-(

[it looks almost the same but is different inside]

Understood.

Loosely, people use the UNIX term to describe both, but actual systems
that can be called UNIX (trademark-legally) are relatively rare, except
in installed numbers - for example, MACOS is legally UNIX.

Ok. I thought OSX was (mostly) BSD, I guess yet another 'flavour' of
*nix?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 21:21:16 +0000, T i m wrote:

[...]

It is mostly BSD. But they've jumped through the hoops and paid the cash
to allow them to use the UNIX trademark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Nov 2017 21:46:32 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

Ok. I thought OSX was (mostly) BSD, I guess yet another 'flavour' of
*nix?

It is mostly BSD. But they've jumped through the hoops and paid the cash
to allow them to use the UNIX trademark.

I wonder who that bothers / impresses?

My MacMini has been mostly running XP for the last 5 years! ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/11/2017 18:21, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

I only have scanty knowledge of Linux, but do remember that formally,
Linux is only the kernel and the whole system should be referred to as
GNU/Linux. With GNU providing all the surrounding functionality - and
GNU standing for "Gnu is Not Unix."

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 22:30:00 +0000, Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

That's true, but not common usage. And the GNU's Not UNIX part refers to
Stallman's original aim - to write a GNU *operating system* that wasn't
UNIX. That didn't happen, but it married up nicely with Torvald's product.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 22:30:00 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

[...]

I believe you are right ... in the same way the Android OS is only
partly made up by the Linux kernel with some other stuff on top to
hide that away (where it belongs g) and allow the (ordinary) user a
full (and only in most cases) GUI experience. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 21:11:43 +0000, bert wrote:

In article ,
writes
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 17:01:46 UTC, Graham. wrote:
So you are advocating giving 18 and 21 month old babies alcoholic
beverages?

Gripe water (the proper 3.6% alcohol) never did me any harm.

That is your opinion. Others may disagree.

I don't (I'm guessing *you* weren't given gripe water)? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/17 18:24, tim... wrote:

news On 11/11/17 10:09, GB wrote:

[...]

The Horsley was retired from the RAF in 1935.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , T i m
writes
On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 21:11:43 +0000, bert wrote:

In article ,
writes
On Saturday, 11 November 2017 17:01:46 UTC, Graham. wrote:
So you are advocating giving 18 and 21 month old babies alcoholic
beverages?

Gripe water (the proper 3.6% alcohol) never did me any harm.

That is your opinion. Others may disagree.

I don't (I'm guessing *you* weren't given gripe water)? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

I thought you didn't do guessing. Must have FACTS.
--
bert