Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default help with pub quiz needed

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 22:30:00 +0000, Steve Walker
wrote:

snip

So, as I don't really know either UNIX or Linux (especially the
background etc) I'll take it that either was the correct answer and so
if an answer of 'UNIX' was given and accepted (finally) then (playing
devils advocate) I guess it was reasonable to include / confirm Linux as
an alternative correct answer?

I guess so. The 'clues' apply to both. UNIX was a proprietary operating
system, but it is now a trademark. Linux is a jumped up UNIX wannabe
[it looks almost the same but is different inside]

Loosely, people use the UNIX term to describe both, but actual systems
that can be called UNIX (trademark-legally) are relatively rare, except
in installed numbers - for example, MACOS is legally UNIX.

I only have scanty knowledge of Linux, but do remember that formally,
Linux is only the kernel and the whole system should be referred to as
GNU/Linux. With GNU providing all the surrounding functionality - and
GNU standing for "Gnu is Not Unix."

I believe you are right ... in the same way the Android OS is only
partly made up by the Linux kernel with some other stuff on top to
hide that away (where it belongs g) and allow the (ordinary) user a
full (and only in most cases) GUI experience. ;-)

Cheers, T i m