Owen Lawrence

Default What is the finish on pub tables?

Sometimes I see this really thick finish on rustic looking tables in
some bars or pubs. It fills in every dent and ding and it's really thick,
maybe up to 1/4" deep in spots. Kind of yellow, some kind of resin or
something.

I've got some construction grade plywood I'd like to cover like that, to
make it smooth and strong. Can anyone tell me what it would be? Is it
polyurethane? Is it applied in many layers or can it be done all at once?
(Maybe some kind of epoxy can be done all at once. You tell me.)

Thanks.

- Owen -

dadiOH

Owen Lawrence wrote:
Sometimes I see this really thick finish on rustic looking tables
in some bars or pubs. It fills in every dent and ding and it's
really thick, maybe up to 1/4" deep in spots. Kind of yellow, some
kind of resin or something.

I've got some construction grade plywood I'd like to cover like
that, to make it smooth and strong. Can anyone tell me what it would
be? Is it polyurethane? Is it applied in many layers or can it be
done all at once? (Maybe some kind of epoxy can be done all at once.
You tell me.)

Polyester resin done in one pour.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Paul Kierstead

Owen Lawrence wrote:
Sometimes I see this really thick finish on rustic looking tables in
some bars or pubs. It fills in every dent and ding and it's really thick,
maybe up to 1/4" deep in spots. Kind of yellow, some kind of resin or
something.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,190,42942
no(SPAM)vasys

Owen Lawrence wrote:
Sometimes I see this really thick finish on rustic looking tables in
some bars or pubs. It fills in every dent and ding and it's really thick,
maybe up to 1/4" deep in spots. Kind of yellow, some kind of resin or
something.

I've got some construction grade plywood I'd like to cover like that, to
make it smooth and strong. Can anyone tell me what it would be? Is it
polyurethane? Is it applied in many layers or can it be done all at once?
(Maybe some kind of epoxy can be done all at once. You tell me.)

Here's another source:

http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-94__sku-GGGHH.html

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

(Remove -SPAM- to send email)
J.B. Bobbitt

Be careful though. Onetime, I poured a 1/4"-thick layer polyurethane
resin on a chessboard I'd made using 1/4" plywood squares glued to a
1/4" plywood substrate, edged with 1/2" stock.

When the resin cured, it bowed the plywood badly, turning the
chessboard into and odd-looking bowl.

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:17:38 -0400, "Owen Lawrence"
wrote:

Sometimes I see this really thick finish on rustic looking tables in
some bars or pubs. It fills in every dent and ding and it's really thick,
maybe up to 1/4" deep in spots. Kind of yellow, some kind of resin or
something.

I've got some construction grade plywood I'd like to cover like that, to
make it smooth and strong. Can anyone tell me what it would be? Is it
polyurethane? Is it applied in many layers or can it be done all at once?
(Maybe some kind of epoxy can be done all at once. You tell me.)

Thanks.

- Owen -

Morris Dovey

Jack Novak wrote:

| Here's another source:
|
| http://www.klockit.com/products/dept-94__sku-GGGHH.html

The link didn't take me where you thought it should (not your fault,
they re-directed the request to their home page) but I found it
anyway. This wasn't a site I'd have thought to search for this
product.

Thanks!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Lawrence
Sometimes I see this really thick finish on rustic looking tables in
some bars or pubs. It fills in every dent and ding and it's really thick,
maybe up to 1/4" deep in spots. Kind of yellow, some kind of resin or
something.

I've got some construction grade plywood I'd like to cover like that, to
make it smooth and strong. Can anyone tell me what it would be? Is it
polyurethane? Is it applied in many layers or can it be done all at once?
(Maybe some kind of epoxy can be done all at once. You tell me.)

Thanks.

- Owen -

There are people that live for the opportunity to mix two-part epoxies and resins. Either can be used, each has it’s own advantages, disadvantages, and techneques. Probably no one knows more about the stuff then the fine folks in the boat building and repair venue. More info and help from friendly people on the ‘repair and restoration’ forum at iboats.com. Go there and start a thread. You’ll get all the tips, tricks, and gotchas to look out for that you need to make your table.

One of the best sources for materials is http://www.uscomposites.com
Andy

To avoid making chess-board bowls (which sound like an interesting
serving piece or fruit bowl or something), be sure to seal all sides of
the piece with something water-tight first. Maybe a layer of standard
poly or varnish all around, then pouring on your bar-top? However, I
don't think plain plywood would move very much, unless the finish
shrinks drastically as it dries.
Andy

Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 03:45 PM
Mark Shafer's oil-beeswax gel finish (mini-review) B a r r y Woodworking 0 April 20th 04 12:33 PM
Patches of missing finish on oak tables -- how to repair and match color? Tekla Woodworking 1 March 5th 04 03:28 AM
Finish for oak end tables Brian Turner Woodworking 41 January 23rd 04 12:45 AM
"Dulling" a shellac finish Tim Schubach Woodworking 6 October 13th 03 07:22 AM