Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default help with pub quiz needed

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 21:21:16 +0000, T i m wrote:

On 12 Nov 2017 18:21:23 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

snip

So, as I don't really know either UNIX or Linux (especially the
background etc) I'll take it that either was the correct answer and so
if an answer of 'UNIX' was given and accepted (finally) then (playing
devils advocate) I guess it was reasonable to include / confirm Linux
as an alternative correct answer?

I guess so. The 'clues' apply to both. UNIX was a proprietary operating
system, but it is now a trademark. Linux is a jumped up UNIX wannabe

You know you said that out loud Bob? ;-(

[it looks almost the same but is different inside]

Understood.

Loosely, people use the UNIX term to describe both, but actual systems
that can be called UNIX (trademark-legally) are relatively rare, except
in installed numbers - for example, MACOS is legally UNIX.

Ok. I thought OSX was (mostly) BSD, I guess yet another 'flavour' of
*nix?

It is mostly BSD. But they've jumped through the hoops and paid the cash
to allow them to use the UNIX trademark.