Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Which knot?

I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem. I have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. If I tie string/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage and run it along the ground, it would be possible to wait and pull the string once the cat enters.. This won't work unless the door closes and at the same time a knot ties it shut. The knot needn't hold long, 10 seconds against a large strong cat should do the job. Question is, what knot should I use?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote

I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem.
I have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap.
If I tie string/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage
and run it along the ground, it would be possible to wait and pull
the string once the cat enters. This won't work unless the door
closes and at the same time a knot ties it shut. The knot needn't
hold long, 10 seconds against a large strong cat should do the
job. Question is, what knot should I use?

There is no such knot.

What you need is some form of spring loaded latch like you see
on rabbit or small animal leg traps. The string just triggers that.
The latch just keeps the door shut until you close it yourself, it
isnt involved in trapping the cat, the cage still does that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
wrote
I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem. I have
a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. If I tie
string/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage and run it
along the ground, it would be possible to wait and pull the string once
the cat enters. This won't work unless the door closes and at the same
time a knot ties it shut. The knot needn't hold long, 10 seconds against
a large strong cat should do the job. Question is, what knot should I
use?

There is no such knot.
What you need is some form of spring loaded latch like you see on rabbit
or small animal leg traps. The string just triggers that. The latch just
keeps the door shut until you close it yourself, it
isnt involved in trapping the cat, the cage still does that.

Or just a decent latch on the door that locks when you pull the
door closed with the string when you see the cat is in the cage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/17 19:26, GB wrote:
BTW, does Tabbypurr = TNP?

Don't be more stupid than you have to be.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 19:26:38 UTC, GB wrote:
On 08/11/2017 18:29, tabbypurr wrote:
I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem. I have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. If I tie string/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage and run it along the ground, it would be possible to wait and pull the string once the cat enters.. This won't work unless the door closes and at the same time a knot ties it shut. The knot needn't hold long, 10 seconds against a large strong cat should do the job. Question is, what knot should I use?

NT

What's wrong with the following?

1. Peg the cage to the ground, so it can't move.

2. Pull the door shut with the string, and then tie the string off,
whilst keeping it taut. Any old knot will do. Or screw a cleat to
something sturdy and wrap the string round that a few times.

3. Stroll outside and latch the cage door.

That's never going to work. I'll have to sit near-ish the cage waiting. By the time I've got a knot tied he'll long be gone, he's very strong. The plan is to hold the string and get to the cage as fast as poss to secure it better. It has to be strong enough to hold it for 10 secs or so.

BTW, does Tabbypurr = TNP?

No. Tabbypurr=NT not TNP.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 19:49:57 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 19:09:29 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 10:29:00 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr wrote:

I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem. I
have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. If I
tie string/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage and run
it along the ground, it would be possible to wait and pull the string
once the cat enters. This won't work unless the door closes and at the
same time a knot ties it shut. The knot needn't hold long, 10 seconds
against a large strong cat should do the job. Question is, what knot
should I use?

NT

Rather than trying to catch it yourself, IMO you should contact the
RSPCA in your area. They have lots of experience at doing that sort of
thing.

In fact, they may well lend you a trap.

They did to help us trap a feral cat which was hanging around our place.

Obviously not fully DIY, but......

Cheers

Now that may be useful, thank you, though I can see troubles resulting. Will talk to them.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 20:23:13 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , GB
writes
On 08/11/2017 18:29, tabbypurr wrote:

I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem. I
have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. If I
tie string/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage and
run it along the ground, it would be possible to wait and pull the
string once the cat enters.. This won't work unless the door closes
and at the same time a knot ties it shut. The knot needn't hold long,
10 seconds against a large strong cat should do the job. Question is,
what knot should I use?
NT

What's wrong with the following?

1. Peg the cage to the ground, so it can't move.

2. Pull the door shut with the string, and then tie the string off,
whilst keeping it taut. Any old knot will do. Or screw a cleat to
something sturdy and wrap the string round that a few times.

You could use a slip knot and take the loop round the door edge and
frame. Still not secure but you have doubled your mechanical
advantage:-)

not a hope. This one's like a tiger.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 18:29:02 UTC, wrote:
I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem. I have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. If I tie string/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage and run it along the ground, it would be possible to wait and pull the string once the cat enters. This won't work unless the door closes and at the same time a knot ties it shut. The knot needn't hold long, 10 seconds against a large strong cat should do the job. Question is, what knot should I use?

NT

Make a sliding noose which includes the door open edge and the adjacent frame, so that when the free end is pulled, the door shuts. Then lead the free end up and over a pulley or wheel above the cage (this pulley or wheel could be mounted on a temporary structure, such as a step-ladder), wait for the cat to enter the cage, then pull the free end until the cage is lifted in the air, where the weight of the cage and contents will keep the noose tight and the door shut.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote

BTW, does Tabbypurr = TNP?

Nope, the language and style is completely different and
the cat's roar does very few typos compared with the turnip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 18:29:02 UTC, wrote:
I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem. I
have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. If I
tie string/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage and run
it along the ground, it would be possible to wait and pull the string
once the cat enters. This won't work unless the door closes and at the
same time a knot ties it shut. The knot needn't hold long, 10 seconds
against a large strong cat should do the job. Question is, what knot
should I use?

I assume the cage is rectangular, and the door hinges at the side or top.

Make a stout loop of rope which will just go, not tightly, round the closed cage, horizontally. Put it round the empty cage; at the back corners, tie it to the top of the cage with medium string; at the front, put it over the open door.

Put a kipper in the cage, leave the door open holding up the rope. When the cat enters, pull the door closed; the rope will slip down and hold it shut.

You could automate this by tying a string to the kipper and running it via a pseudo-pulley at the back of the cage to the door. Cat runs in, grabs the kipper, turns round to run out, slams door in its own face, rope slips down.

--
SL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Corse it will.

I'll have to sit near-ish the cage waiting.

Yes.

By the time I've got a knot tied he'll long be gone, he's very strong.

Not of you have say a turn around a round thing and pull
the door closed by pulling on the free end after the turn.
You can then do another turn after the door is closed, with
the pressure on the line keeping the door closed, and then
a couple of half hitches of the free end over the taught line.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...lf_hitches.png

Yachtys do that all the time with a lot more force
on the line than any cat can do on the door.

The plan is to hold the string and get to
the cage as fast as poss to secure it better.

Trivial to do with the string tied off where you yanked the door closed.

It has to be strong enough to hold it for 10 secs or so.

It will hold it till the string rots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

You will only get one chance since the cat won't be stupid enough to
enter the cage a second time if you fail.

A caged feral cat is going to be quite ****ed-off, will there be video?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

It also depends on whether the door is hinged at the side or the top or
whatever.

Nope.

How many people do you have at your disposal?

I've disposed of quite a few, but if I told
you how many, I'd have to kill you.

After all if the cage was weighted and one person could pull the string
and keep tension on it till you got to the cage and latched it.

Completely trivial to tie off the string and go and latch the door.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
wrote
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Martin Brown wrote:

You will only get one chance since the cat won't be stupid enough to
enter the cage a second time if you fail.

A caged feral cat is going to be quite ****ed-off, will there be video?

Nope, the feral cat will kill the purring one and torch the video.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/11/17 19:26, GB wrote:
BTW, does Tabbypurr = TNP?

Don't be more stupid than you have to be.

Surely, I'm exactly as stupid as I am? Neither more, nor less, is possible.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/17 10:36, GB wrote:
On 08/11/17 19:26, GB wrote:
BTW, does Tabbypurr = TNP?

Don't be more stupid than you have to be.

Surely, I'm exactly as stupid as I am? Neither more, nor less, is possible.

There speaks a true Leftist

People are born victims and cannot in anyway make their lot in life
better. Only a left wing government or the EU can.

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/11/2017 20:39, wrote:
[...]

I'll take your word for it, but it's not obvious why it won't work.
Provided the string is strong enough and everything is anchored down.

Maybe you should have two strings? One to pull the door closed and the
other to manoeuvre a bit of wood to keep the door latched or simply a
really heavy lump of wood that leans against the door when toppled over
by the second string.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2017 09:14, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

You will only get one chance since the cat won't be stupid enough to
enter the cage a second time if you fail.

A caged feral cat is going to be quite ****ed-off, will there be video?

Yes. I expect it will bounce off the walls quite nicely.

I hope he has a vets tranquilliser dart gun.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

We gave the cat to the RSPCA to re-home (part of the deal; they neuter
them as well if not already done) but it turned out to be so ill (feline
AIDS and cancer IIRC) that they had to put it down. We didn't know until
we turned up with a pack of cat food as a "thank you".

The way we did it was to leave the cage open and un-primed for a couple of
nights before priming it to close. More chance of the preliminary risk
assessment by the cat classifying it as safe.

Unless the cat is a very frequent visitor which is also used to your
presence, crouching near the cage holding a piece of string might be a
long and painful experience.

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 08:56:50 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
On 08/11/2017 18:29, tabbypurr wrote:

I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem. I
have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. If I
tie string/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage and
run it along the ground, it would be possible to wait and pull the
string once the cat enters. This won't work unless the door closes
and at the same time a knot ties it shut. The knot needn't hold long,
10 seconds against a large strong cat should do the job. Question is,
what knot should I use?

You need to arrange that as the door closes something else locks it - a
piece of bent garden wire or length of metal would be my choice.

I think something is missed there. For the cat to enter, people need to stay a fair distance away. That means the string would have to hold against a strong and very frightened semiferal cat, despite being pulled from a long way away. I don't see that working.

You will only get one chance since the cat won't be stupid enough to
enter the cage a second time if you fail.

of course.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 09:20:04 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Completely trivial to tie off the string and go and latch the door.

trivial yes, but by the time I'm there to do it the cat will be gone. Only Rod can fail to grasp this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

GB Wrote in message:
On 08/11/17 19:26, GB wrote:
BTW, does Tabbypurr = TNP?

Don't be more stupid than you have to be.

Surely, I'm exactly as stupid as I am? Neither more, nor less, is possible.

Don't be a smartarse either ;-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Martin Brown wrote
tabbypurr wrote

I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem.
I have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap.
If I tie string/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage
and run it along the ground, it would be possible to wait and pull
the string once the cat enters. This won't work unless the door closes
and at the same time a knot ties it shut. The knot needn't hold long,
10 seconds against a large strong cat should do the job. Question is,
what knot should I use?

You need to arrange that as the door closes something else locks it -
a piece of bent garden wire or length of metal would be my choice.

I think something is missed there.

By you, yep.

For the cat to enter, people need to stay a fair distance away.

Yep.

That means the string would have to hold against
a strong and very frightened semiferal cat,

Nope, not if there is a proper latch on the cage door
that only needs minimal force from the string to see
the door latched. Then the string is irrelevant after that.

Even without a latch, a decent length of cord will hold the
door closed fine if tied off where the person sits and pulls
the door closed, while that person goes to the cage once
the cat is in the cage to secure the door at the cage.

But more skill required by the person, but not much.

despite being pulled from a long way away.

Doesnt matter how far away it is within reason.

I don't see that working.

It will anyway.

Just borrow a cage from the RSPCA, they clearly do work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Completely trivial to tie off the string and go and latch the door.

trivial yes, but by the time I'm there to do it the cat will be gone.

Not if you tie properly and its a decent cord like a blind cord.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 13:51:53 UTC, jim wrote:
GB Wrote in message:
On 08/11/17 19:26, GB wrote:
BTW, does Tabbypurr = TNP?

Don't be more stupid than you have to be.

Surely, I'm exactly as stupid as I am? Neither more, nor less, is possible.

Don't be a smartarse either ;-)

Don't be a dumbarse either.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 18:29:02 UTC, tabby wrote:

I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem. I have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. If I tie string/rope to the open door, pass it through the wire cage and run it along the ground, it would be possible to wait and pull the string once the cat enters. This won't work unless the door closes and at the same time a knot ties it shut. The knot needn't hold long, 10 seconds against a large strong cat should do the job. Question is, what knot should I use?

NT

Good news: 2 cage-traps are now in place, and hopefully a 3rd will be tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas, this time it didn't end up diyed, which is unusual. Was able to find a farm supplier in the area.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 09:58:58 +0000, GB
wrote:

I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem. I have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. I

NT

Good news: 2 cage-traps are now in place, and hopefully a 3rd will be tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas, this time it didn't end up diyed, which is unusual. Was able to find a farm supplier in the area.

Do please tell us what you catch.

As in animal or medical? With feral cats propensity to double in
length when attempts are made to handle them a good set of leathers
and face protection may be needed but I expect that is telling Tabby
Purr to suck eggs.
At least in the UK a bite will probably not bring the risk of Rabies
with it.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I need to capture a half-feral cat with a serious medical problem. I have a large wire cage that's not designed to be used as a trap. I

NT

Good news: 2 cage-traps are now in place, and hopefully a 3rd will be tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas, this time it didn't end up diyed, which is unusual. Was able to find a farm supplier in the area.

Do please tell us what you catch.

As in animal or medical? With feral cats propensity to double in
length when attempts are made to handle them a good set of leathers
and face protection may be needed but I expect that is telling Tabby
Purr to suck eggs.
At least in the UK a bite will probably not bring the risk of Rabies
with it.

G.Harman

I've worked with ferals before - he's only semi feral. I've had him purring in my lap before now, but he won't come too near me as he knows I want to capture him.

NT

Any tips for patching a knot hole in a fence? Carmella Woodworking 21 May 4th 20 12:14 AM
Safety first? Knot on DIY Network Bill Otten Woodworking 30 December 25th 04 09:35 PM
stain or knot? David Woodworking 3 August 4th 04 03:41 AM
Knot holes bleed through painted fascia boards Ray K Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 01:40 AM
knot dropout Maxprop Woodturning 3 March 15th 04 01:59 AM