Maxprop

Default knot dropout

While turning a roughly 10" pine bowl tonight--more an exercise than an
attempt at a finished product--a knot caught on my bowl gouge and flipped
out, leaving a gaping knothole. Can such knots be glued back in place, and
with what level of success or appearance? Would colored epoxy (stained with
carbon) be suitable, as the wood around the knot is dark, almost black?

Max

George Shepherd

The dark wood around the knot indicates that it is a "dead knot" and would
have fallen out at any time. You can glue it back in using CA glue or epoxy.
You might also want to consider just filling the hole with colloured epoxy
and making a feature of it.

George

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...
While turning a roughly 10" pine bowl tonight--more an exercise than an
attempt at a finished product--a knot caught on my bowl gouge and flipped
out, leaving a gaping knothole. Can such knots be glued back in place,

and
with what level of success or appearance? Would colored epoxy (stained

with
carbon) be suitable, as the wood around the knot is dark, almost black?

Max

---

George

I look at 'em in advance. If the bark is still there, what George calls a
"dead knot," I usually run some water-thin CA in stages as I thin the piece,
aiming for _some_ hold as deep as possible.

If the knot has some space around it where I've pulled the bark out, I put
bark back in with medium CA as a binder. Looks best to me, because it looks
like a knot surrounded by bark, not some dull-looking sanding dust filler.

"Maxprop" wrote in message
nk.net...
While turning a roughly 10" pine bowl tonight--more an exercise than an
attempt at a finished product--a knot caught on my bowl gouge and flipped
out, leaving a gaping knothole. Can such knots be glued back in place,

and
with what level of success or appearance? Would colored epoxy (stained

with
carbon) be suitable, as the wood around the knot is dark, almost black?

Max

James Barley

WD!
was there a "point"to your posting quoting Maxprop's post?

--
James Barley
www.members.shaw.ca/jbarley