Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 8 foot ceilings

Just an ordinary 1930s end terrace in the Midlands with standard 8 foot ceilings.
We've had no plasterboard on the back room ceiling for at least a year, which gave the effect of 8'7" ceilings. After plasterboarding today, it's really closed down the room, just reducing back to 8 feet. Its amazing how much difference it made. And going from a dark timber to the grey plasterboard.

At least in the kitchen we have the ceiling rising towards 10 feet which is nice.
Its a shame the standard has become 8 feet rather than say 9 - which was the standard for even small Victorian terraces.

When I have visited in Liverpool, in the older houses those high 10 and 11 foot ceilings are wonderful. I think if I ever built my own house the first thing I would specify would be "ceilings to be 3 metres".

For new build houses the standard seems now to have reduced to a metric 2.4m rather than 8 feet, and with losing those extra few centimetres is really pushing it.

Given the chance I don't know why anyone would go for 8 foot ceilings.
New "McMansions" - footballers houses etc. - judging by space above doorways they often seem to have only 8 foot ceilings, which in large rooms results in terrible proportions. OK they might have a double height entrace lobby etc, but the rest of the house ... Why would architects draw up such things ?

Anyway, plasterboarding ceilings really wears me out these days - and thats with 3x6 boards - I used to use 4x8.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2017 22:22, sm_jamieson wrote:
[...]

Perhaps rooms should be as tall as they are wide. When you build your
dream home, you could follow Inigo Jones and go for cube and double cube
rooms, at least for the drawing room and the banqueting hall respectively.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Our house has 8ft, my parents' has 9ft, which makes a big difference, as
you say. My wife's former flat (in a converted Victorian detached) had
11ft - very nice!

9ft seems a reasonable compromise between openness and needing a lot
more heating, but I've seen some modern houses where the ceiling is so
low that people can't have a pendant light fitting on the ceiling!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

Dunno. I did in fact go for 8'8" ceilings myself in the house I designed and
built myself. But I dont notice anything when I visit other people's
houses.

Anyway, plasterboarding ceilings really wears me out
these days - and thats with 3x6 boards - I used to use 4x8.

I did mine the other way, the ceiling beams are galvanised steel folded
metal
I beam with one top flange missing. The 4' wide immense sheets of paper and
foil faced foam that at the entire width of the house drop into those, the
timber
battens that vary in height across the roof bolt down onto the top flange of
the ceiling beams and the metal decking goes on top of that, with concealed
fittings under the decking and then the decking is button punched with a
thing
like a full sized pair of bolt cutters but with a button punch instead of
jaws.

Makes the entire ceiling and roof structure very quick and easy to do by one
person unaided.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
[...]

Pendant lights are an abortion anyway. Chandeliers in spades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

original question snipped

Rod Speed wrote:

I did mine the other way, the ceiling beams are galvanised steel folded
metal
I beam with one top flange missing. The 4' wide immense sheets of paper and
foil faced foam that at the entire width of the house drop into those, the
timber
battens that vary in height across the roof bolt down onto the top flange of
the ceiling beams and the metal decking goes on top of that, with concealed
fittings under the decking and then the decking is button punched with a
thing
like a full sized pair of bolt cutters but with a button punch instead of
jaws.

Makes the entire ceiling and roof structure very quick and easy to do by one
person unaided.

Interesting construction. Have I understood the I beams correctly? Are they like this :- (ASCII art, please view using a fixed pitch font).

-----

---------

How thick is the steel? What's the dimensions of the I beam? How much do they weigh? Are they put up at 4' centres? How high are the timber battens? What's the pitch on the roof?

I'm not sure what the fastening for the roof looks like. Is it something like a large pop rivet? No, you say that it is a concealed fitting.

Sorry, a lot of questions. I hope you won't get fed up answering.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"kit jackson" wrote in message
web.com...
original question snipped

Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

Yep

How thick is the steel?

Coupla mm

What's the dimensions of the I beam?

4" bottom flange, 6" tall.

How much do they weigh?

One person can pick them up.

Are they put up at 4' centres?

Yep.

How high are the timber battens?

Varys across the roof. 8" at the peak of the flat roof, then 6" and then 4"
to give a minimal slope.

What's the pitch on the roof?

It's a flat roof.

I'm not sure what the fastening for the roof looks like.

Metal brackets are screwed to the top of the battens.
These are about a foot long, 3" wide with verticals that
go in the ribs that stand up from the deck.

Cant find a picture of the clips alone for some reason.

Is it something like a large pop rivet? No, you say that it is a
concealed fitting.

Correct, nothing goes thru the deck itself.

Sorry, a lot of questions. I hope you won't get fed up answering.

Don't mind at all, wish I could find some decent pics online.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I think higher ceiling work best in larger rooms - say 6m +. They tend
to make smaller rooms look a bit cubey. And of course higher ceilings
make a room more of a chore to heat.

Anyway, plasterboarding ceilings really wears me out these days - and thats with 3x6 boards - I used to use 4x8.

I've managed a few 4 x 8 sheets with the help of props, but it's a
miserable thing to do.

I had some plasterers in to overboard three ceilings. All 3 of them used
chopped up board - never more than 4 x 4. One of them used lots of much
smaller pieces. Could be a moral there . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The reason is efficient heating of the living space. The higher the ceiling
the more space one has to heat. Heat rises so you are heating a lot of the
room before you get any heat lower down.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!

?

Anyway, plasterboarding ceilings really wears me out these days - and thats
with 3x6 boards - I used to use 4x8.

Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , RJH writes
On 04/11/2017 22:22, sm_jamieson wrote:
I think higher ceiling work best in larger rooms - say 6m +. They tend
to make smaller rooms look a bit cubey. And of course higher ceilings
make a room more of a chore to heat.

Anyway, plasterboarding ceilings really wears me out these days - and
thats with 3x6 boards - I used to use 4x8.

I've managed a few 4 x 8 sheets with the help of props, but it's a
miserable thing to do.

I had some plasterers in to overboard three ceilings. All 3 of them
used chopped up board - never more than 4 x 4. One of them used lots of
much smaller pieces. Could be a moral there . . .

As you say, 8 x 4 are 'kin heavy. I bought a board lifter for the
cottage job. Around £100 but available second hand, I happen to have one
spa-) Makes single handed boarding easy.

On the architects question, I think they must work in multiples of 400
and 600mm.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

Brownbuilt ? I made my own button punch for a carport I made.

Makes the entire ceiling and roof structure very quick and easy to do by
one person unaided.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 4 November 2017 22:22:19 UTC, sm_jamieson wrote:
Why would architects draw up such things ?

(a) it's cheaper - every row of bricks/blocks to be laid has a cost

(b) reduces the ridge height, so easier to get past the planners, especially with mcmansions which often have convoluted roof outlines

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 November 2017 16:56:20 UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, 4 November 2017 22:22:19 UTC, sm_jamieson wrote:
Why would architects draw up such things ?

(a) it's cheaper - every row of bricks/blocks to be laid has a cost

(b) reduces the ridge height, so easier to get past the planners, especially with mcmansions which often have convoluted roof outlines

Owain

It is down the cost, but new builds seem to not really go below 2.4m - the size of sheet of plasterboard. I think anything below would seem oppressive and not sell. I also think that if a house builder made a point of saying "all our houses have 9 foot ceilings", they could sell for more and it would pay for itself. On the other hand, if extra foot is the profit margin ... but I don't believe that for a minute.

If I was confronted with a maximum ridge height, I'd try to get the planners to specify an absolute height (in relation to a fixed datum), then dig the site down a bit to allow a higher roof line. If they objected to that they are just being awkward.

I saw an interesting one - a think a Lady dowager - moving out of the stately home. She had built on the estate a "bungalow" stately home. It was a single storey but with very high ceilings, and a set of pillars at the front. Inside it was just like a stately home, but with the notable absence of any stairs. From the outside it looked really quite strange !

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 November 2017 08:24:43 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
The reason is efficient heating of the living space. The higher the ceiling
the more space one has to heat. Heat rises so you are heating a lot of the
room before you get any heat lower down.
Brian

Best to put downward blowing ceilings fans in. Or course there is still more volume to heat. Or a more sophisticated internal vent system so recirculate the air.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

It is down the cost, but new builds seem to not really go below 2.4m - the size of sheet of plasterboard.

My 1971 build has 7'6" ceilings - the height of the paramount boards
used in the partition walls.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

I think higher ceiling work best in larger rooms - say 6m +. They tend
to make smaller rooms look a bit cubey. And of course higher ceilings
make a room more of a chore to heat.

More of a chore? Are you pedalling the generator yourself (or lugging
the coal)?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
web.com...
Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

http://www.roofingoptions.com.au/we-...NBUILT-305.jpg

Shows where the clips go
http://www.autospec.co.za/productmed...ownbuilt02.gif

Cant find a pica of the actual clip, this is one for a slightly different
profile decking with wider verticals. This decking isnt button punched.
http://www.rbsroofing.com.au/f.ashx?v=933921

I made my own button punch for a carport I made.

When you bought the decking, you were free to borrow
the button punch from the supplier of the decking. I also
just recently got another at a garage sale. Handy if you
want to lift one panel to do something with the electrical
or other wiring which just lies on the paper and foil faced
poly foam ceiling panels. The panels and beams are the
Stramit system.

Makes the entire ceiling and roof structure very quick and easy to do by
one person unaided.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The reason terrace houses have high ceilings is that the windows have to be high to let sufficient light in.