Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 8 foot ceilings in garage... Gas IR heating tube OK?

On Nov 17, 11:16*pm, "Me" wrote:
I'm going to be installing heat into my garage in the next month or so and I
was wondering what would work.

Garage is 24'x32'. I have a natural gas line and electricity. Ceilings are
eight feet.

I do plan on some painting/staining, so I'd like to avoid the air currents
caused by forced air gas heat.

I'm considering a 15 foot natural gas IR heater, vented the remaining 9 feet
to the outside of the garage so to scavange any extra heat I can from the
exhaust. Air intake on one side of the garage. Exhaust on the other side.

Does this sound OK? Can an IR heater be installed with the eight foot
ceilings, or are they meant for higher ceilings? Should I bother trying to
scavange some of the exhaust heat?

Thanks!

Is that a vented unit or are you making your own theoretical -
experimental venting. I know little about this except you need a
vented unit and have to follow proper set up or Co will get you. I
would not expeiment a DIY vent. I would have a thermometer probe above
the unit to be sure you keep what is above it below the recomended
temperature. A Co detector would be needed to be sure you are safe. I
just saw a spec sheet and it gave mounting height to ceiling and the
temp max of above ceiling. You do know Radiant does not heat air, it
heats objects that heat the air, I would not want one of those facing
a car or my work to be painted.