Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default 8 foot ceilings

Just an ordinary 1930s end terrace in the Midlands with standard 8 foot ceilings.
We've had no plasterboard on the back room ceiling for at least a year, which gave the effect of 8'7" ceilings. After plasterboarding today, it's really closed down the room, just reducing back to 8 feet. Its amazing how much difference it made. And going from a dark timber to the grey plasterboard.

At least in the kitchen we have the ceiling rising towards 10 feet which is nice.
Its a shame the standard has become 8 feet rather than say 9 - which was the standard for even small Victorian terraces.

When I have visited in Liverpool, in the older houses those high 10 and 11 foot ceilings are wonderful. I think if I ever built my own house the first thing I would specify would be "ceilings to be 3 metres".

For new build houses the standard seems now to have reduced to a metric 2.4m rather than 8 feet, and with losing those extra few centimetres is really pushing it.

Given the chance I don't know why anyone would go for 8 foot ceilings.
New "McMansions" - footballers houses etc. - judging by space above doorways they often seem to have only 8 foot ceilings, which in large rooms results in terrible proportions. OK they might have a double height entrace lobby etc, but the rest of the house ... Why would architects draw up such things ?

Anyway, plasterboarding ceilings really wears me out these days - and thats with 3x6 boards - I used to use 4x8.

Simon.