Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default 8 foot ceilings

On Sunday, 5 November 2017 16:56:20 UTC, wrote:
On Saturday, 4 November 2017 22:22:19 UTC, sm_jamieson wrote:
Why would architects draw up such things ?

(a) it's cheaper - every row of bricks/blocks to be laid has a cost

(b) reduces the ridge height, so easier to get past the planners, especially with mcmansions which often have convoluted roof outlines

Owain

It is down the cost, but new builds seem to not really go below 2.4m - the size of sheet of plasterboard. I think anything below would seem oppressive and not sell. I also think that if a house builder made a point of saying "all our houses have 9 foot ceilings", they could sell for more and it would pay for itself. On the other hand, if extra foot is the profit margin ... but I don't believe that for a minute.

If I was confronted with a maximum ridge height, I'd try to get the planners to specify an absolute height (in relation to a fixed datum), then dig the site down a bit to allow a higher roof line. If they objected to that they are just being awkward.

I saw an interesting one - a think a Lady dowager - moving out of the stately home. She had built on the estate a "bungalow" stately home. It was a single storey but with very high ceilings, and a set of pillars at the front. Inside it was just like a stately home, but with the notable absence of any stairs. From the outside it looked really quite strange !

Simon.