Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 8 foot ceilings

"kit jackson" wrote in message
web.com...
original question snipped

Rod Speed wrote:

I did mine the other way, the ceiling beams are galvanised steel folded
metal
I beam with one top flange missing. The 4' wide immense sheets of paper
and
foil faced foam that at the entire width of the house drop into those,
the
timber
battens that vary in height across the roof bolt down onto the top flange
of
the ceiling beams and the metal decking goes on top of that, with
concealed
fittings under the decking and then the decking is button punched with a
thing
like a full sized pair of bolt cutters but with a button punch instead of
jaws.

Makes the entire ceiling and roof structure very quick and easy to do by
one
person unaided.

Interesting construction. Have I understood the I beams correctly? Are
they like this :- (ASCII art, please view using a fixed pitch font).

-----

---------

Yep

How thick is the steel?

Coupla mm

What's the dimensions of the I beam?

4" bottom flange, 6" tall.

How much do they weigh?

One person can pick them up.

Are they put up at 4' centres?

Yep.

How high are the timber battens?

Varys across the roof. 8" at the peak of the flat roof, then 6" and then 4"
to give a minimal slope.

What's the pitch on the roof?

It's a flat roof.

I'm not sure what the fastening for the roof looks like.

Metal brackets are screwed to the top of the battens.
These are about a foot long, 3" wide with verticals that
go in the ribs that stand up from the deck.

Cant find a picture of the clips alone for some reason.

Is it something like a large pop rivet? No, you say that it is a
concealed fitting.

Correct, nothing goes thru the deck itself.

Sorry, a lot of questions. I hope you won't get fed up answering.

Don't mind at all, wish I could find some decent pics online.