Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default 8 foot ceilings

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
news
On 04/11/2017 22:22, sm_jamieson wrote:
Just an ordinary 1930s end terrace in the Midlands with standard 8 foot
ceilings.
We've had no plasterboard on the back room ceiling for at least a year,
which gave the effect of 8'7" ceilings. After plasterboarding today, it's
really closed down the room, just reducing back to 8 feet. Its amazing
how much difference it made. And going from a dark timber to the grey
plasterboard.

At least in the kitchen we have the ceiling rising towards 10 feet which
is nice.
Its a shame the standard has become 8 feet rather than say 9 - which was
the standard for even small Victorian terraces.

When I have visited in Liverpool, in the older houses those high 10 and
11 foot ceilings are wonderful. I think if I ever built my own house the
first thing I would specify would be "ceilings to be 3 metres".

For new build houses the standard seems now to have reduced to a metric
2.4m rather than 8 feet, and with losing those extra few centimetres is
really pushing it.

Given the chance I don't know why anyone would go for 8 foot ceilings.

Our house has 8ft, my parents' has 9ft, which makes a big difference, as
you say. My wife's former flat (in a converted Victorian detached) had
11ft - very nice!

9ft seems a reasonable compromise between openness and needing a lot more
heating, but I've seen some modern houses where the ceiling is so low that
people can't have a pendant light fitting on the ceiling!

Pendant lights are an abortion anyway. Chandeliers in spades.