Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default decent reasonable hand rivet gun

Everyone seems to be selling that swivel head type http://www.axminster.co..uk/arrow-tw...riveter-340260

under different names and prices. I had the Arrow version but have just broken it. A river shaft got jammed in it and I tried dismantling it to have it explode parts all over the flooe and no way could I re-assemble it. I wasn't enamoured of it anyway.

£50-100 would be absolute max as its not a tool I use often
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.axminster.co.uk/arrow-twi...riveter-340260

under different names and prices. I had the Arrow version but have just
broken it. A river shaft got jammed in it and I tried dismantling it to have
it explode parts all over the flooe and no way could I re-assemble it. I
wasn't enamoured of it anyway.

I have owned the same item for 30+ years. It has jammed a few times,
but I had no problems dismantling and reassembling it. It is basically
just a pair of jaws with a spring behind them, held in by a threaded
bush at the rear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to fred, Iggy wrote:
I've never had the need yet for the twist head, but they're light duty and
only intended for aluminum rivets. If that's fine, then I'd go with the Saber
4-in-1...who finally fixed the Riveter and got rid of changing heads and
therefore can't fall apart or at least dump-out its parts
https://www.therange.co.uk/diy/hand-...iveter/#162308

Otherwise, you need a Riveter that's made for alloy and steel rivets. The
Stanley 6-MR100 has good reviews, but is a bit pricey
https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-6...ails_container
The Draper 27842 is a little less expensive to help out the budget
https://www.raygrahams.com/products/...el-rivets.aspx

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1246708-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 12:44:07 PM UTC, Iggy wrote:
replying to fred, Iggy wrote:
I've never had the need yet for the twist head, but they're light duty and
only intended for aluminum rivets. If that's fine, then I'd go with the Saber
4-in-1...who finally fixed the Riveter and got rid of changing heads and
therefore can't fall apart or at least dump-out its parts
https://www.therange.co.uk/diy/hand-...iveter/#162308

Otherwise, you need a Riveter that's made for alloy and steel rivets. The
Stanley 6-MR100 has good reviews, but is a bit pricey
https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-6...ails_container
The Draper 27842 is a little less expensive to help out the budget
https://www.raygrahams.com/products/...el-rivets.aspx

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1246708-.htm

Iggy thanks for the input. Not sure that I need one for steel but the Stanley one looks good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2017 12:44, Iggy wrote:
replying to fred, Iggy wrote:
I've never had the need yet for the twist head, but they're light duty and
only intended for aluminum rivets. If that's fine, then I'd go with the
Saber
4-in-1...who finally fixed the Riveter and got rid of changing heads and
therefore can't fall apart or at least dump-out its parts
https://www.therange.co.uk/diy/hand-...iveter/#162308

Otherwise, you need a Riveter that's made for alloy and steel rivets. The
Stanley 6-MR100 has good reviews, but is a bit pricey
https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-6...ails_container

The Draper 27842 is a little less expensive to help out the budget
https://www.raygrahams.com/products/...el-rivets.aspx

Iggy,

have you considered installing a proper newsgroup reader like
Thunderbird ?.

Homeowners hub is just collecting advertising revenues from people
like you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andrew, Iggy wrote:
Nah, I did newsgroups and usenet garbage 20-years ago. They've only gotten
worse and fully corrupted, when they should've been the Wiki's of the world. I
suspect HOH tried to get the old world into the new, but they again reject any
help, improvement and larger audience.

Hopefully, HOH just goes to copying and pasting questions from wherever to
create more of a Wiki and severs ties with the old world. Real Askers aren't
actually needed, since 99% of them never respond back to anything. And, no
reason to have a site that keeps answering the same questions.

That's where Stack Exchange, Quora, Ask, All Experts (laughable), Wikihow,
etc. all have it wrong. Build a community that actually works together to come
up with the most complete and accurate answers of anything, with pictures,
diagrams and bullet-point steps. Would change the world.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1246708-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

replying to fred, Iggy wrote:
I've never had the need yet for the twist head, but they're light duty and
only intended for aluminum rivets. If that's fine, then I'd go with the Saber
4-in-1...who finally fixed the Riveter and got rid of changing heads and
therefore can't fall apart or at least dump-out its parts
https://www.therange.co.uk/diy/hand-...iveter/#162308

Otherwise, you need a Riveter that's made for alloy and steel rivets. The
Stanley 6-MR100 has good reviews, but is a bit pricey
https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-6...ails_container
The Draper 27842 is a little less expensive to help out the budget
https://www.raygrahams.com/products/...el-rivets.aspx

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...n-1246708-.htm

Iggy thanks for the input. Not sure that I need one for steel but the Stanley one looks good

One of the reviews says the design is now different from the photo....
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Jim is offline

Iggy m Wrote in
message:
replying to fred, Iggy wrote:
I've never had the need yet for the twist head, but they're light duty and
only intended for aluminum rivets. If that's fine, then I'd go with the Saber
4-in-1...who finally fixed the Riveter and got rid of changing heads and
therefore can't fall apart or at least dump-out its parts
https://www.therange.co.uk/diy/hand-...iveter/#162308

Otherwise, you need a Riveter that's made for alloy and steel rivets. The
Stanley 6-MR100 has good reviews, but is a bit pricey
https://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-6...ails_container
The Draper 27842 is a little less expensive to help out the budget
https://www.raygrahams.com/products/...el-rivets.aspx

Which do you have?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2017 10:51, fred wrote:
Everyone seems to be selling that swivel head type http://www.axminster.co.uk/arrow-twi...riveter-340260

under different names and prices. I had the Arrow version but have just broken it. A river shaft got jammed in it and I tried dismantling it to have it explode parts all over the flooe and no way could I re-assemble it. I wasn't enamoured of it anyway.

£50-100 would be absolute max as its not a tool I use often

I have a lazy tongs, plenty of power for steel as well as alloy rivets.
Only downside is that it won't work in tight spaces, of course. I use
Rivnuts for these, with the proper tool (the "pliers" type are not
really strong enough).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to fred, Iggy wrote:
[...]

I got the Stanley Version. Quite sturdy. Annoyingly it is an imperial tool. The 2mm, 3mm,4mm and 5mm sizes shown are actually metric conversions of imperial 3/32, 1/8, 5/32 and 3/16 and the spanner size for the noses is imperial also which is a p.i.t.a.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred
writes

I got the Stanley Version. Quite sturdy.

Following this conversation, I bought a Draper one, with four heads and
100 rivets, sixteen quid delivered. Probably wouldn't stand up to trade
use, but for my needs [1] it is perfect. Needless to say, I did manage
to get a rivet jammed, but having read the thread, very carefully
dismantled it and got it back together without the dreaded ping****it
syndrome.

[1] Our rear drive gates are the original Gates From Hell. Sheet metal
riveted to a metal frame, probably installed 40+ years ago, rusting
quite well and many of the original rivets are long gone resulting in
the sheets rattling against the frame. Now fixed :-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Graeme
writes
In message ,
fred writes

I got the Stanley Version. Quite sturdy.

Following this conversation, I bought a Draper one, with four heads and
100 rivets, sixteen quid delivered. Probably wouldn't stand up to
trade use, but for my needs [1] it is perfect. Needless to say, I did
manage to get a rivet jammed, but having read the thread, very
carefully dismantled it and got it back together without the dreaded
ping****it syndrome.

[1] Our rear drive gates are the original Gates From Hell. Sheet metal
riveted to a metal frame, probably installed 40+ years ago, rusting
quite well and many of the original rivets are long gone resulting in
the sheets rattling against the frame. Now fixed :-)

TEK screws might be an alternative for your gates.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Graeme
writes

[1] Our rear drive gates are the original Gates From Hell. Sheet
metal riveted to a metal frame, probably installed 40+ years ago,
rusting quite well and many of the original rivets are long gone
resulting in the sheets rattling against the frame. Now fixed :-)

TEK screws might be an alternative for your gates.

Thanks. Yes, they certainly could be. At the moment, I have inserted
rivets where the old rivets knocked out easily, and that is enough to
stop the sheets banging very loudly whenever the gates are opened or
closed. Further work will be required, not to mention a coat or two of
paint.
--
Graeme

Craftsman Pop Rivet gun?` Steve W.[_4_] Metalworking 1 March 14th 12 03:16 PM
Threaded blind rivet gun Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 0 March 3rd 11 03:31 PM
Threaded blind rivet gun Andy Dingley UK diy 0 February 27th 11 08:47 PM
rivet gun Stupendous Man Metalworking 6 November 8th 07 04:14 AM
OT advice on air rivet gun wanted Craig Suslosky Metalworking 2 January 23rd 04 01:09 PM